1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are 5-string P-basses so rare?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monterey Bay-ss, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Now there's a guy who plays with enough gain that I can trust his opinion if he says a 5-string split-coil set is silent.
    Otherwise, no.
    I was struggling with pinch harmonics & found a clip where Sheehan was explaining it. One of the only bass players who does pinch harmonics. That takes high gain indeed.

I also can't trust folks to judge the gain on amps, which I've discovered over time.
    "Sure it has enough gain for Motörhead!", then I get my hands on one & it does not.

"Oh all you need now is a boost pedal.", NO!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i answered your question

3. :wideyed:

4. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I think its pretty obvious why the 5 string P bass is not exactly massively utilized in the bass playing community. Same reason I spent one year procrastinating before I finally pulled the trigger on my AS P5. For me, it was because I was put off by the asymmetrical design of the pickup. Just couldn't quite get used to that. Got over it. Happy with the bass. I notice people here on TB that have them seem to like them too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Yeah I would like one but there’s a huge gap in range for fender ones. There are affordable ones like the now discontinued Squier p5 but then there’s a huge price jump to stuff like the fender American p 5. Why they don’t have a Mexican p5 is beyond me. Seems like it would be a popular model at that price range. For the cost of an American you might as well be patient and keep an eye out for a used Dingwall Super P.

6. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    The Dingwall would be about 1000 more than a used Fender USA and has pinche fanned frets.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like the Fender AmStd P5 enough that I have three of them - Ed Friedland’s old 3TSB/RW/tort (my first), a black and maple and a fretless conversion I need to finish up. They are great basses, otherwise I wouldn’t have ended up with three.

I found the B on each to be perfectly acceptable out of the box, but what really improved them is the addition of a stealth string retainer - I noticed my Dimensions had great, focused Bs and the stealth is a big part of why.

Nevada Pete and Stevorebob like this.
  8. Personally I think the fanned frets are well worth the difference.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I’m puzzled by some of the comments regarding tone. A good amp & cab solves any B string issues with most 5 string basses.

Unless you’re gonna get in the weeds with numbers. The girls on the dance floor will be able to buttress that conversation.

My 2010 AM Standard Precision V is a wonderful instrument. Classic Precision/Fender tone that works with any genre. It’s as nice a Fender as I have ever played. Damn thing just works and I never tire of playing it.

10. If you've got one of those Nordstrand pickup sets with the matching coil sizes there will be women on the dance floor:

[​IMG]

CEJ and BergerHead like this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    That would solve the problem,but it wouldn't sit right with the Fender traditionalists.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  12. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    That’s fine but you’re saying “for the cost of a USA Fender you might as well be patient and spend twice as much money on a used Dingwall instead.”

Don’t buy the Toyota, you might as well just wait and get the used Lamborghini.

13. Perhaps I could have worded it better. A new fender American p 5 is $1500. I’ve seen used super p5s sell as low as $2k so it’s potentially as little as a $500 difference not a thousand or double.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  14. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Cool I didn't realize they went that low my mistake.

15. Yeah that’s understandable. Their production basses do hold value really well. So I can see how there’s a misunderstanding on that. That’s why I bought a new NG2 instead of a used one. Because the used price was so high I was like “screw it, Might as well buy a new one” but the custom stuff is different. the custom made stuff is super nice but i think it suffers a bit of the same hit that other custom basses do when selling used. In that when it comes to super high end custom basses people want their own custom with the options they picked out, not what someone else picked out.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  16. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Yeah I agree. Seems like there are quite a few custom builds on eBay and the like that are basically waiting for that one other guy out there somewhere that wants one like that to see it and come up with the cash.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  17. MixBass and Charlzm like this.
  18. CEJ

CEJ

Sep 30, 2017
    NJ
    I enjoy mine...2009 P Standard
    Took a while to get used to since I had just started playing bass but my bandmate guitarists love the tone. My luthier is installing Delano pups this week so we'll see what that brings to the table!

IMG_4888.

19. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Amp and strings?

20. CEJ

CEJ

Sep 30, 2017
    NJ
    GK Fusion 550
    2 - 212s