Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are bass strings so expensive?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have had the same pair on my bass for about 5 months now. I want to get new ones but I don't have enough money. Is there a reason why some strings cost so much? Is there gold inside of them or something of that effect?

One time I had to buy 1 string, and it cost about 9$. What is going wrong these days?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    You're shopping at the wrong store! Quality strings can be had for $15 or less if you look around. Have you tried any of our friendly Talkbass vendors??

Slug

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    no, but that might be a good idea.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Be thankful you don't have to buy upright bass strings.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    $15 dollar? Here they are $40 for basic d'Adario's, I paid $80 for a set of 5 DR's..

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They don't really seem to be that expensive to me...especially when you note how you don't have to change them every week like you do with guitar strings.

Why do they cost what they do? They take more time and effort to make than guitar strings, and also more materials/quality control.

If'n you don't like the price of bass strings, I suggest you look at what people pay for upright strings or bows.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... around here the "good ones" are 40 bucks tops. If I'm feelin' fancy I get a set of blue steels for 30 bucks.

Plus bass strings (if you take care of them) last for a long time... guitar strings... not so much.

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> The prices of things in Europe are scary...Maybe try
    a brand made in Europe, like Rotosound, they might be cheaper.

Slug

9. Rotosounds are rubbish tho! :p

and yeah, they really are expensive, i like Elites, made in the UK, cheap and pretty good :)

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You got a 2 string bass?

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I agree Rotosound flats on my cousins T-40 chewed up my fingers.

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I love Ken Smith Rockmasters which are usually very reasonably priced, but they go dead twice as fast as Elixirs. However,..... elixirs are less than twice as expensive. So i generally take the hit on my ideal string sound since I like saving those few bucks. Not to mention I hate sitting down and replacing strings.

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Elixirs over here are $120.

14. i disagree. elixers start out sounding one way and end up souding drastically more dull in a matter of weeks. i've had smiths on my bass for about a year w/ out too much change. smiths aren't very bright sounding to begin w/ though

15. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I pay $17(CDN) a set. Cleaning them extends their life also.

16. I was wondering the same thing when I first started playing. I saw friend of mine buy a pack of guitar strings for like $6 and I had to pay like $30 for bass strings. I figure it's just cause there's so much more metal used for bass strings.

More material = more money.

17. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Sorry but it is not because there are some more expensive instrument strings that we must considered ourselves lucky to buy our sets 45 to 50 $ here in Europe.
    If I changed my strings everymonth (what I would do if strings were not so expensive) for the sound I like, it would coast me the price of a new not so bad Ibanez or Kort bass every year...
    :(

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Well...in this case, you're not really complaining about the cost of strings. You're complaining about the cost of your location, importing, tarriffs, taxes, etc. If you look at the original poster, he's in detroit. He's paying the same as I am for strings.

But then I don't take Bad Brains too seriously. He has a track record for complaining about just about anything.

For the same logic, we pay much more for European brands of strings TI, Pyramid, Ritter, etc.

19. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    if more material = more money, then why do american girls pay morefor "pre-destroyed" clothing, as me and my friends call it?