Why did Jaco remove the pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdizzle, Aug 10, 2009.

1. DumpsterFire2.jpg

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ooh I know this one - "to get to the other side", right? Or was it for the toans?

HaphAsSard likes this.
  3. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Used Fender Lead Sleds and Hartke cabs with bent grills
    He took it off so he could use it to cut out lines. :hyper:

JRA likes this.
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Thread that has been sitting on the shelf for 8 years gets reactivated with a REPLY!?!?!?!?

REALLY!!?!?!?

FWIW, this post hit the nail on the head, and is the answer to the OP.
    No further discussion needed. Count the screws. I know, it’s more than four.

Just an aside at posts deriding Jaco, and trying to be humorous at the same time: Comedy at someone else’s expense ain’t comedy. It just makes you look childish and pathetic.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Came here to post exactly this!

Then I had second thoughts about the resultant triple entendre. Are thirty years too soon to kid about Pastorius getting to the other side? How are we on Jaco-jokes? :cautious:

And sigged this pearl of truth from the past.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    BillMason likes this.
  6. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    Those old Fenders all came with ashtrays everyone removed. I always figured while he was taking those off he kept going and got rid of the pickguard as well.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    He didn't!

It's a common misconception that the famous Bass of Doom has no pickguard.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Jaco was in fact a skilled magician who had stood apprentice to a very powerful old gypsy witch doctor.

How he got his skills on the bass too: Magic!

In reality he simply weaved an ancient esoteric gypsy incantation over the pickguard that made it invisible.

This relates to what happened late in his career as well:

It requires a lot of will power, mental strength and discipline to withstand the chaotic energies that is the source of all magic.

Eventually he simply lost the battle and began to succumb to the immense magical forces he once held and mastered and they slowly took over his mind, leaving him unpredictable and unable to uphold full concentration over his work.

To compensate he began to use drugs and alcohol which only caused him to loose control further.

This together with the loss of his totem bass approximately one year earlier, leaving him without any focus point for his powers, was what ultimately sadly led to his untimely death.

And such ended the tragic story of one of our century's probably most talented and promising young magicians.

8. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    Honolulu
    The dude making him a custom PG made him take it off and mail it to him since he didn’t have a template. The custom PG guy is still trying to get the holes to line up right.

9. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Comedy is usually at someone else's expense. When Moe poked Curly in the eye, it was usually at Curly's expense. If Curly blocked it, then it was at Moe's expense - for a few seconds. The question is whether the joke is mean-spirited. I can't recite every post in this thread from memory, but I don't think I saw any of that.

Phlipper likes this.
  10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    You don’t have to look far. Check the post just above mine.

And, BTW, the Stooges, though entertaining in terms of slapstick, are NOT models for great comedy. And I was as big a 3Stooges fan as anyone; but, I don’t think I ever laughed a single time at a single gag that Moe pulled. Curly was the funny one. But, you will notice that he NEVER made fun of anyone, except himself.

For great comedy, check Red Skelton. If you want more cutting comedy, it would be George Carlin; but George never belittled people, especially people who are no longer around to defend themselves. If he thought you were messed up, he would just come out and say it; but, at that point, it wasn’t comedy as much as commentary.

11. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I think Jaco = Michael Jackson.

12. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    People will always laugh about stuff until it's something that relates to them. They're so self-centered that they think the comedian is specifically making fun of them.

Many comedians use themselves as the butt of the joke, but most people are too caught up in themselves to even pick up on that, and are just looking for something to complain about.

lowend1 likes this.
  13. Clear plastic would have been a lot easier.

14. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Well, not everybody can be Rodney Dangerfield. He elevated self-deprecation to an art form.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  15. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Red Skelton was great and I was a big fan of Carlin as well. Unfortunately, as George got older he became less about being clever and more about being angry.
    And I laugh at pretty much everything that Moe, Larry or Curly did. Comedy doesn't have to be high-brow or esoteric. Sometimes you just want to watch people slap each other around.

bucephylus likes this.
  16. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    +1

2BitHack likes this.
  17. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    I love it when guys take the time to POST just to whine about a necro POST.

"The horror ... the horror ..."

maplenecked likes this.
  18. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    In fact...the reason for my post was to point out that the OP had been correctly answered.

But, I suppose some folks only read as far as suits them.o_O

19. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sorry bro ... I get a bit wise-azzed when I've been out riding and bar-hopping with the brothers. I understand what you were trying to say.

bucephylus likes this.
  20. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    He took it off at some point, and couldn't find where he put it.. Then he thought, it looks much better like that anyway and never bothered :)