1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why does the moon light sonata sound good on bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by berkcan, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. berkcan

berkcan

Dec 22, 2017
    it seems to me specifially this sounds good on bass.when i play it with tapping,my friends really gets impressed and says that it sounds better even better than the piano.what makes it it to sound that good on bass ? any idea?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It sounds good on bass because it sounds good on anything because it's just plain good. Nothing mysterious here...

3. berkcan

berkcan

Dec 22, 2017
    yeah but some other classical pieces just doesnt fit in bass as much as it does

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Different things appeal to different people. I don't care for bass tapping, Beethoven covers or otherwise. Why? It doesn't appeal to me.

Grumry and byoung93888 like this.
  5. You may be a blossoming star in the making...

CATFISHMcC0Y, Grumry and Zane DeBord like this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Perhaps it sound nice on bass because of the way the arpeggios are spaced out somewhat - close harmony doesn't work as well on bass as other instruments (can get muddy), and this piece is very arpeggio-oriented.

7. berkcan

berkcan

Dec 22, 2017
    A proper answer,thanks

Deak and bholder like this.
  8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Would love to hear a clip of your arrangement! How hard is it to play? Did you figure it out yourself or perhaps from tab? I'd love to see a good tab arrangement of it I could work on...

Grumry likes this.
  9. berkcan

berkcan

Dec 22, 2017
    well i used the tab on the songgster by the stu hamm version,im sure you can work on it and play it not that hard and very very fun

Grumry and bholder like this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Thanks!

11. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    @bholder Several popped up on a youtube search. Here is one.

check the first part of this one too

12. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Because it was clearly written for electric bass guitar.

Ekulati, ObsessiveArcher and djaxup like this.
  13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Great musical pieces sound good on any instrument. A Bach piece sounds great with even a $10 recorder.

Grumry and Aqualung60 like this.
  14. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Bholder is absolutely correct; good music sounds wonderful regardless of the instrument used. I started on piano, and played it on piano first. As a solo bass piece the first movement is impressive. I think you'll find a vast array of fantastic bass material in what has historically been the classical repertoire. I don't know how familiar you are with the "Moonlight Sonata," and certainly do not want to patronize. I suspect there is more than one forum member that is not yet familiar with the piece. For those that don't know, there are three movements. Here is the third movement. I hope those that are not familiar enjoy it as much as I do; perhaps it will lead to one or more of you to look deeper into music from days of yore. If you like the first and third movement, search out the second, or the whole piece played by a competent player. You won't be disappointed.

Grumry, djaxup, Chili_Time and 2 others like this.
  15. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    These guys really make me look bad...

16. It’s a great song. I often try to push my bandmates to try our songs with acoustic guitars. There are some exceptions where Guitar parts are very percussive where it doesn’t work but it often does. I think great songs should sound good in both electric and acoustic settings. So maybe it’s a similar deal.

Grumry likes this.
  17. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Maybe your friend needs a favor ? OK, in all seriousness to say it sounds better on bass tapping (no matter who plays it ) then on the piano is stretching a bit Don't you think! That master piece was created on a piano meant for piano not for tapping on bass! Not saying it's not possible or that it won't sound good on bass tapping, just saying i doubght very much it sounds better on bass tapping then on piano!
    Or maybe the serious part is your friend really does need a favor and thinks kissing your ass just mite work.

lfmn16 likes this.
  18. Over the years, lots of classical music has been transcribed or adapted from the original instrumentation the composer intended to other instruments, and even other arrangements. Bear in mind that most classical music we hear today is played on modern versions of stringed instruments, and current pianos and pipe organs are light years beyond the clavichords that Bach composed on, much less the gutbag-bellowed pipe organs of his day that were actually driven by a couple guys in the bowels of the organ.

The Moonlight Sonata is one of those pieces most piano students (me included) work up, and is included in programs by touring classical artists as a bone to the the less astute in the audience, something 'everybody knows'.

The bass workup here is admirable, but nothing will replace a great artist sitting at a nine-foot Steinway or Yamaha CFX or Bosendorfer doing it right. Here is one of the great masters, the late Arthur Rubinstein (who I was fortunate to see twice as a kid), playing all three movements. It starts with the one most of us know. Just listen to the command of a master at work. Breathtaking.

19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Thanks - my mom used to play that movement, I'd forgotten all about it...

20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Wow you're on a tear tonight...