Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 11, 2021.

1. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    When I was a kid, I remember seeing the road ahead as appearing wet when the day was hot. I thought it was true even though we never drove far enough to reach the water. As an adult, I still think I'll become a better bassist if I have more and better gear. The illusion remains even though I know it's false. Illusions are sticky things.

villegastx, Roger W, zon6c-f and 5 others like this.
  2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    GAS is a sin and I’m a sinner… Voilà :smug:

Polfuste and bassballs27 like this.
  3. As bass players, we all suffer from an inevitable malady called GAS.:drool: You can always put the extra money into a 6 or 12 month certificate. That way you won't be able to touch it. Just a thought.;)

villegastx and jdh3000 like this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Practice is the best cure for gas. It makes you remember that you don’t really need anything else.

5. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have owned over 400 basses and now desire no other basses except an unlined fretless. I have the two basses that sound great and play great. I finally grew tired of always looking for something better. I have it, its in the fingers and not in the bass. Although a good set up on any bass does help the fingers.
    20210518_220619.jpg
    Now I am getting rid of the BagEnd Cabs and settled back with SWR SM500 head and SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 cab. One more SWR 2x10 cab and I am set.

6. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Because we are always in search of the perfect note and when we think we have it, we find that it has changed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Timmah and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For real!

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is certainly the case.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am in the early stages of a writing project, if I get that flowing, it would certainly take a lot of my energy.

red_bassist, ShawnG and obimark like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You must have one hell of a Squier!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Even if I don’t get anything, the herd needs some culling.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was something I really liked when I visited parts of Africa. It’s not people didn’t want stuff, but they truly know how to be happy with what they have, from what I could see.

Crispus, villegastx, Roger W and 5 others like this.
  13. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Doc, as I'm sure you know, this problem is not unique to our relationship with bass guitars. There is a reason that all the great doctrines speak about desire.

It is said that the objects of desire, once obtained, in turn beget desire for more.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bikes are so expensive, GAS is much less severe because buying one requires a long term commitment.

Buster Brown likes this.
  15. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Esp with fretless.

lfmn16 likes this.
  16. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    1) We've been conditioned to associate buying things with pleasure or satisfaction. I'm not sure if there are studied done about this, but I bet there's a dopamine rush when making the initial purchase as well as when the new item arrives.

2) I can't speak for others, but I will never be wholly satisfied with my musical abilities. Working through my shortcomings is difficult though. Even though I know rationally a new piece of gear won't solve my problems, I secretly feel like it might.

17. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Human nature. That force is strong it is...

lomo and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    GE.jpg

Haroldo and bassobrutto like this.
  19. Doc, first this syndrome is really only a first world problem.

Why not help out the local young talented musicians that are less financially able?

Crispus likes this.
  20. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Capitalistic propaganda. Consume.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021