1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

will changing pots and cap help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by allanhearn, Jan 6, 2012.

1. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    I have a vm squier jazz bass. I changed out the pickups to Lindy Fralins, put a badazz bridge and an american neck and tuners.

I have a CIJ bass with the same mods.

The CIJ sounds way more present with more highs.

the sqier sounds darker, like a blanket us covering it up.

Does any think that changing the pots to cts and a better cap help
    or do you think it is the body wood.

any advice will help

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It can certainly help. If the measured resistance of the Squier pots is significantly lower than 250k ohms than the tone will be darker. It makes sense to change the tone cap if you're changing pots but that's not really going to affect anything until you roll back the tone knob.

3. It won't sound any different unless you are changing values.

4. Check your volume pot on your CIJ and also the VM. If the CIJ is 500k and the VM is 250k, that would result in less treble coming through. That would be a good place to start looking.

5. Should have made it clear that the 250k volume pot lets less treble frequencies through and will make it sound darker while the 500k pot lets more through making it sound brighter.

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Are the strings the same? Brand, style and age?

mech

7. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    new strings and new setup

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    unless the pot and cap values are different than your CIJ, it would almost have to be the Fralins with the maple body of the VM jazz. That's about the only thing you didn't change, which brings me to another question.........

9. I just put a new paper in oil cap in one of my students fender aerodyne jazz bass. The difference was quite dramatic. I put pio caps in all my basses. I bet the squire has a two cent tiny ceramic cap in it that chokes the tone.

10. That's doubtful. There is not a lot of difference between capacitor compositions in this application. What was the actual rating of the cap? It's possible that you were hearing a difference of ratings, given loose tolerances.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If they are the same measured values, they will make absolutely no difference except possibly in your imagination.

Zero.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You're being charitable. ;)
    In this application (as opposed to a high-voltage active circuit) there's none. Even in theory, there would only be an imperceptible change in the roll off curve.

I do wish that people would do well-controlled direct-injection digital recordings of their before and after miracle modifications. You don't need an EE degree to hear that most of the improvements are either imaginary or too small to have been worth the expense and trouble in the surprisingly few instances they matter at all.

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Chokes the tone? How would it do that? The cap in only in affect when you turn the tone control down. At that point it rolls off the high frequencies.

When the tone control is on 10 the cap does nothing. No signal flows through the cap, so there is no tone being choked.

This is physics, not conjecture. If you hear a difference with the tone control between 7 and zero, then the new caps have a different capacitance rating than the original.

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I'm 90% sure that my VM Jazz had 500k pots and a .047 cap. That should make for it being pretty bright.

EDIT: I know they are 500k pots I just dug them out of my parts drawer.

What strings are on it at the moment? If you want a brighter tone that would be the first place I would start.

15. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    I use d'adarrio nickle strings 45-105, brand new set.
    I thought all jazz basses with single coil pickups used 250k pots.

I will measure them tonight

16. Let us not forget! Fender used ceramic caps in old Jazz basses, and people still rave about their awesome vintage tone! :bag:

Though I disagree that the capacitor does nothing when the tone pot is at "10." That would depend on the value of the tone pot. Depending on the pickup impedance, you can usually hear a difference if you remove the pot from the circuit. A lot of guitarists like 250k no-load tone pots that click off to an infinite impedance at "10."
    Otherwise, indeed, the capacitor is only in the circuit when you want it to be.

17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Take the control plate off, the value should be stamped into the back of the pots.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Under a large wad of solder. ;)

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Exactly.

I posted this picture in the other cap thread of my '72 Mustang guitar.

mustang.

You are hearing the resistance loading of the pot, not the cap. The impedance of the cap in the range of the resonance is a much less than the pot value.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's not a ceramic cap, but the "green Chiclet" mylar.

I'm also guessing that it's not original. :confused:

What I find mildly amusing is how Fender goes to the effort to use .05mFd "vintage value" ceramics instead of the much more common .047mFd. :p

BTW, Fender is still using cheap disc ceramics.