1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will the ciggarette prices get you to quit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I quit

32.0%
  2. light em up

68.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    A pack of Newport 100's cost 7.20 here in minnesota...i should quit

2. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    To paraphrase Bill Mahr....

Apparently smokers don't have rights...**** this tax hike BS. You wanna tax everything bad for people, start with McDonald's and then get back to me.

3. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Of course not. I'm not a smoker, but I know that when addiction comes calling, it's the essentials that take a back burner.

4. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    No...

But two nasty bouts (two weeks worth in December and I'm on my 3rd week this go-rouond) with respiratory illnesses this winter/spring did the job.

Just the thought of a nice tasty cigarette makes my lungs burn!

:(

Oh well... it needed to be done... errrr... undone... errrr... whatever.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Well, it certainly won't make me smoke any more.

I'll buy a pack when I'm playing a smoky bar (all of them here in MI). Otherwise, I'm really not a smoker. There's something about having a cocktail in a smoke filled environment that makes me Jones for a smoke like I'm still a pack a day kind of guy.

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I'm quitting (again) right now, but it has nothing to do with the price hike.

I really don't hink it will make people quit -- addictions are funny like that -- but it will make some poor people poorer. Perhaps the extra revenue will help fund these bailouts.

Apparently, smokers are the one group it's ok to discriminate against.

7. Same here I won't smoke for months than bam.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My dealer...er, I mean the guy that owns the cigarette shop says that people aren't buying any less, they're buying in smaller quantities (i.e. people who used to buy cartons are buying 3 packs at a time instead).

9. If the cost (taxes) makes you quit, great.

If health concerns make you quit, great.

Just quit...... They will absolutely kill you dead. How cigarettes remain legal as a testament to the mockery that is modern governments.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I quit 2.5 years ago. Havent bought a pack since, though I have had a few drunken drags...

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Cigarettes remain legal because the right to be self destructive is one of our last, true remaining freedoms.

12. I was a late starter...didn't smoke unless drinking til I was almost 30. Ten years later, I was puffin' down 2 packs every 3 days (up 'til March 1st). The combination of feeling like A$$, wanting to live long enough to see my kids grow up and brand name smokes over $7 a pack here in Wisconsin (as of yesterday) was enough to get me to say ENOUGH! I haven't smoked since...wish me luck :)
    My trick...honestly... It's the money. Simple mathematics has kept me from smoking and it's getting easier daily;. Here's what I do: I write the savings on my calendar...every 3 days is $15...Its been a month since I bought smokes and I've saved $150 - that's $1800per year not including those outings where I'm tipping a few and smoking a pack or more in a night! That's alot of gear...and I really like gear! Not to mention that I feel energetic again and I can actually smell stuff!!!

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I find that being able to smell stuff is actuall a downside of not smoking. I forgot how much of the world stinks.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    No carrots

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1. And if you smokers need some incentive to quit, I have a couple of stories for ya that will at least make you think about it. PM me if you want.

16. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    I'd been wanting to quit, and I'm using the tax increase as additional incentive. So far, it's effective, but this is not fun.

17. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I don't know about the prices,we don't have high taxes for now but I really really have to quit.I can't even walk for 15 mins. without feeling terrible,going up the stairs? I almost feint and I won't even talk about the weird substance that I spit sometimes.:rolleyes:

I used to be a very sport-active guy(6 rounds of full contact thai-boxing for example),I used to walk/swim for hours.Damn to the conditions that make me smoke harder and harder everyday.
    I got acid-reflux too,my throat hurts 7/24.
    :atoz:

ps:Don't pm me stories please,they won't make me quit but only make me feel worse.:p

18. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Here a pack of 20 costs around 11-12 dollars at a normal store (don't remember the exact exchange rate for dollars-NOK atm), if I smoked regularly (something I don't) the prices would have to go over 15. That's the limit.

19. steve21

steve21 Banned

There are only 3 conditions where I smoke cigarettes, so I don't care.

20. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I bought two cartons Tuesday, so I have about 2 1/2 weeks to decide. I've used Chantix before, and had great results. Only problem is I started again about 6 months later.

Now, my company will pay for the Chantix if I enroll in an American Cancer Society program, so that's probably what I'll do in the next few weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.