1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wooten does it again

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by spark_chaser, Nov 20, 2008.

1. spark_chaser

spark_chaser

Nov 15, 2008
    Sanford, FL
    I'm not usually big into instructional video tapes, however i saw Victor Wooten's "Groove Workshop" used on amazon for cheep and I decided to buy it. I just got done watching all 5 1/2 hours of it in a row last night and it blew my mind. Its a amazing video! He has a very unique perspective of music...something that I, a somewhat "Classically" trained bassist, have never really never seen before. I know Victor is an amazing bassist, but i never knew that he had such a different view of music. Watching That video has definitely opened some new doors in my music playing ability and lots of different techniques to practice. I'm curious if anyone else in the TB family has seen this video and had an opinion of it???

2. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Havn't seen it but I have to say that I'm influenced much more by Wooten's philosophies than his playing or technique lessons.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I picked up a copy and am about half way thru it. I must say, it's a great video. It's made me aware of many things I've never considered.

For example, he breaks music down into ten different components. Notes, being one of the ten components, he says is what we devote 99% of music education to but in certain aspects, may be one of the least important.

He demonstrates this by playing a groove in Gm. He identifies the seven notes in the Gm scale. Then he rips a solo using only the five notes NOT in the scale.

The whole video is like this.

By watching it, being aware and taking things to heart, you can't help but be a better player.

LeonD

4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Wooten is a phenomenal bassist but I'm not familiar with that DVD/video. It would be interesting to read you elaborating about what it is that's different about his view of music.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yeah, I enjoy watching any vids by Vic, even if he's just talking about it from his perspective and not playing, I'd still watch it.

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Sounds a lot like his book....I'm going to have to pick up this video cause it sounds like it will provide audio/video examples that coincide closely to what he talks about in the book and hopefully further expand on my grasp on the concepts.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I've had the good fortune to meet Victor Wooten when an act I work with opened a couple of times for Bela Fleck over the last two years.

Backstage, he was gracious and friendly. What amazed me is that even though we first met about two years ago, when he walked into the backstage hangout area last year, he immediately greeted me.

He is a gentleman and his playing is sublime. Anything he has to say about music is something I'd be interested in hearing. I'll have to get this DVD. Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Dr. Jim, I couldn't agree more. I spent an evening with him back in the early 90's (that long?!?). He "blessed" my bass by sitting in for a set...and knocking the socks off of everyone in the entire group, as well as the audience. I next saw him about four years later, and before I could get his attention and stick out my hand, he reached out and gave me a hug.

He's one of the rare people in life who can make you feel like the most important person in the room. And, oh yeah, he's also a ridiculous musician and an incredible inspiration to all of us.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Echo on the above...Groove Workshop is incredible and is unlike any other instructional video. You'll be educated and inspired.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That's him! I just ordered the DVD. BTW-I don't think it is a tangent. Victor Wooten's personality is a signficant part of what makes him a great teacher and artist. Thanks for the story!!! :hyper:

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    and here's what I've gotten out of what Vic is saying:

Think of notes as words in any given language.
    In your native language, once you've learned enough to articulate the language, for an example.... You don't really have to think about what you're going to say, it starts to happen on it's own.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Victor Wooten is the way forward. I love his style, his sound, his playing, his philosophy. IMO, he is the next step in the overall evolution of the bassist as a musician. In years to come, I hope we say "there was Jamerson, Jaco, Wooten and the rest". He deserves that much.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I think learning the notes is a "given" for any instrument (IMO)

13. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    So glad to hear the positive response to the DVD. Just ordered it 2 days ago and can't wait to get it.:hyper::hyper:

14. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    The notes aren't presented in a unimportant manner, but only that they only represent 10% of what actually goes into to what we call music. And he elaborates on that by saying and demonstrating that if you do the other 90% perfectly the notes really aren't as important as we'd like to think.

15. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    The spaces between the notes, which are often more important than the notes themselves.

Timing

Dynamics

Tone

Attitude

What any other instruments are playing and how they're playing it.

16. poyeeyancy

poyeeyancy

Feb 5, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    the way victor is looking at it is as a language. babies learn a language by copying the adults around. same with music... you copy the people you see and hear. children don't always speak the best english (or any language for that matter) but isn't children who also say the most profound stuff. don't look for notes that are "wrong"... look for notes that create more tension... your ear ,IMO, is the most important thing about playing any kind of musical instrument. the way i look at it... all the notes that i played, am playing, and will play are already there... i just have to do it.

17. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    The other 90% is HOW you play, things like:Articulation, Dynamics, Silence, Groove, Technique, Rhythm, etc. Hey if none of this is clicking maybe you should check out the dvd.;)

18. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Nevermind. Notes are practically 100% of the game. Skip all the other stuff. You're right on track.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Zanz, you are making way too much out of Vic's comment. You're taking it super literally, which it's not meant to be. It has already been explained many times, and quite well, I might add. Getting people to repeat the same thing over and over isn't going to make you get it suddenly. You will get it when you reach the mental place where Vic is at (it's not hard to get there, either...much easier than you might think).

Think about it more with your creative side instead of your logical side.

20. I think Wootens point is not that notes are unimportant, just that we tend to put the majority of our instruction into learning notes.
    You really need to see the video, he does an excellent job of redirecting your thoughts WITHOUT putting down classical instruction. I believe this his approach is what makes him so innovative. Some of his techniques do not impress me sound wise, but you cannot argue that he has been able to make his bass do things that many people had never even THOUGHT of.
    He really isn't trying to tell you everything you think is wrong, he is just trying to open up your mind to appraoch things from a different angle. Truly great stuff IMHO.