1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WOW! Just WOW.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by scubaduba, Sep 27, 2010.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Michael Manring and this custom Zon...

2. brettson

brettson

Feb 25, 2009
    DAMN!

3. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I like the "Adhan" better and I don't know why.

4. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Mesmerizing!

5. willg95

willg95

Jul 7, 2007
    Spring Lake, MI
    if i spent like, forever on that i could probably learn it. but retuning during playing? hell no! that was freaking awesome. thanks for sharing! :)

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Wow is right! That's crazy technical stuff there.
    But in all honesty, to my ears, it got boring after about a minute and a half...

7. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    It's very annoying!

8. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Adhan is more emotionally evocative to me, so I like it better. Helios is certainly a brain-melter technique-wise though.

My wife the cellist/vocalist helps me gut-check when I'm listening to "bass player music." Is it something that's genuinely musical, or am I just going slack-jawed at the technical end of things?

Vic Wooten has a couple licks that he'll pull out that make me roll my eyes and wait for him to get back to doing something interesting. The funniest part to me was on the Bass Day '98 performance, he stepped up to the front of the stage when he went into one of those licks.. got a big applause from the audience of bass players, but he looked bored. It was a "here you go.." sort of moment, interestingly enough; the pyrotechnics served the audience expectation, not the artistic statement.

On the balance, I think that Wooten and Manring both do what they do in the service of amazing music. Hearing them early in my bass playing life certainly helped me realize that I could produce anything with the instrument that I wanted.

Oh, speaking of emotionally evocative music from Manring: The Book of Living and Dying

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Michael is an amazing bass player with phenomenal technique.
    Sometimes I like him better when he plays more simply - I've heard him do some wonderful accompaniment with John Gorka, and I love it.

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    You lasted a minute longer than me.

I guess if Jiffy-Pop bass is yo' thang... :confused:

[​IMG]

11. Lookee here...go in to the 2:19 mark for Earl Scruggs "Flint Hill Special" although not bass, you will see a master play while detuning his strings and back...in time and in tune. I first saw this on the Beverly Hillbillies and am still blown away and I play funk!

:bag:

12. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    I like "The Enormous Room" better.

13. jcampbell

jcampbell

Sep 8, 2010
    That is strait up disgusting. I do like some of his other works better, but his ability to write songs is incredible and very hypnotic.

14. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I watched the whole thing to see if he was going to masturbate on that groove for 8 minutes.

I liked the tuning trick though.

15. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I agree. A great example of using amazing technique and musical expression together.

16. 5sicks

5sicks

Sep 27, 2010
    D-Tuna

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Big +1.
    The video does nothing for me. TJM.

18. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I like the album version better... but again this is ridiculous how much technique is involved into pulling one of those songs together...

19. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Most definitely!! :bassist:

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Don't forget, Michael Manring only needed 4 Hipshot D-tuners.

Well, technically speaking, this is gorgeous. Just does not speak to me in the musical department. Give me James Jamerson any day.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021