1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your best 5 pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Driven Crane, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Tell us...

2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    1. Tru Tron x3.
    2. Strymon Timeline.
    3. Strymon Mobius.
    4. Sonuus Wahoo.
    5. Malekko LoFi.

Tourniquet Man and IngloriousOz like this.
  3. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Four Eyes Fuzz-Beautifully aggressive tone without masking your original tone. I actually don't know why this is called a fuzz when it's OD attributes are so sweet.

Mantic Vitriol-Perfect for grindey high gain fast playing where you want extreme definition and attack. No matter where you set this thing each note is clear as a bell and articulate. It is surprisingly great as a low gain OD too, although not too many people play it that way.

Carcosa Fuzz-Just a perfect all around Fuzz for everyday purposes. Can get as squishy as you like, or turn down the after knob, crank the before and you have a beefy and articulate tight fuzz. Low end for days and adds a nice "bedding note" sort of like a Moog Taurus if you want to go that route too.

Built By Ryan Guvnor-
    One of those pedals that is built for guitar but kills on bass. Ryan's take on it is so phat. From low gain od/clean boost to searing high gain, this pedal is just musical. 4 way rotary clipping options makes it very versatile too.I use it last in the chain because every pedal that stacks into it sounds brilliant. It adds mids or something I can't quite explain, but pedals seem to gain heft, balls and mix better when they feed into this Guvnor.

Mountainking Heavy Machine
    -Extremely versatile fuzz that actually threw all other fuzzes off my main board because it can do what they do only better. The only time I need something different is for faster more articulate playing, but I just stack it with my Guvnor to get note definition back and I'm usually good to go.

Runner up:

Built By Ryan Rat-If anyone is looking for deep and scooped but with extreme balls, you should pick one up. I don't even use it on the "normal" setting. I just keep the toggle down for scooped and this pedal just sits in every mix perfectly. Unbelievably versatile and musical too.

hintz and IngloriousOz like this.
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Tronographic Rusty Box
    B7K
    Boss LMB-3
    Fuzzrocious CatTail w/2nd Distortion
    Keely Caverns Reverb & Delay
    Mooer Tender Octaver
    oops, that's six

Also, not a pedal but worth a mention: Fdeck's HPF Pre v3

gregmon79, IngloriousOz and rratajski like this.
  5. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    In no particular order:
    1 ehx micro pog
    2 mxr phase 90
    3 ss/bs team awesome fuzz machine
    4 blackout effectors musket
    5 mesa boogie subway

Worth mentioning even tho i JUST got it this week:
    Earthquaker devices gray channel.
    Just might be the always on overdrive I've been looking for for my band but it's just to soon to tell since I've only had it for a week ;)

Driven Crane and XXL like this.
  6. Tech21 Oxford. - it has a midrange grunt and clank unmatched by any pedal I've used yet, and that includes Darkglass B3K, VMT, Rusty Box, Tech21 PSA, VT Bass, Leeds, Tone Hammer, Agro, and many more.

Darkglass B3K - awesome gritty pieces of shrapnel top end grind.

Darkglass VMT - like it less than the B3K but it complements the B3K nicely.

Rusty Box - nice grind as well, 2nd to Tech21 Oxford.

All my synth effect pedals I've owned can get lumped up here? Starting with the Boss Re20 Space Echo, which I've used for bass and rocked.

Crystalman85 and hintz like this.
  7. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    The Gray Channel sounds really good in band contexts, a great drive pedal for bass at loud volumes I have found. Love having two channels as well.

Driven Crane and rjovin like this.
  8. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    ok ill play!

1 Moog Clusterflux
    2 Cog Effects T70 octave
    3 Fuzzrocious Cat Tail
    4 Fuzzrocious Cicada Fuzz V1/V2
    5 Fuzzrocious Heliotropic Fuzz

and i need to do 2 honurable mentions! as they were custom orders i didnt put them in my 5 but Cog "Red 5" and Lateral sound "Tremor" are both bloody great!

IngloriousOz, BIG97BEN and rratajski like this.
  9. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    I've got one band practice under my belt with it so far and it sounded great! The 2 channels are great and I've already worked them into a couple of songs.
    I just think it's a good idea to spend some time with a pedal before proclaiming it one of my favorites.

XXL likes this.
  10. Signs

Signs

Jan 11, 2011
    Muskegon, MI
  11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    That's interesting to hear...I may have to try one now!

My best:
    EHX Qballs
    Multivox Big Jam Spit Wah
    Boss EQ-20
    DOD FX70C Corrosion
    Behringer PB100 Preamp/Booster (not kidding; it does precisely what it's supposed to do, and does it very well)

stario and FaithNoMan like this.
  12. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Definitely. I just like talking about the GC.

rjovin likes this.
  13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

My rig is pretty standard, but what makes it different is the way I run it, I guess. So in that respect, the pedals that really make a difference are these:

- fDeck
    - Boss LS-2
    - ART tube MP
    - Zoom MS60B
    - PBDDI

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  14. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    In a very particular order:

Boss LS2
    Radial Big Shot I/O (I've bought and sold this pedal 3 times, I won't sell it again)
    TC Arena Reverb
    SA Aftershock
    TC Alter Ego x4

Randy Ward, Ikkir and Bassist4Eris like this.
  15. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

1. Markbass Compressore. My "always on" secret tone sauce.
    2. Big Game Bedlam. All of the grindy goodness of OCD-style overdrive, with none of the low-end loss of the Fulltone.
    3. Stomp Under Foot Civil Unrest. All of the creamy goodness of muff fuzz, with none of the "disappearing bass trick" of the EHX.
    4. I can't hate on EHX without giving 'em some love too. Enigma Q-Balls. This one came up in the "worst" thread at least once. Now I'm all butthurt. ;)
    5. Boss PH-3. Underrated phaser, which is fine with me. It means my phaser sound isn't the same as everyone else's.

stario, Dec1975, Ikkir and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

"Liked" for the inclusion of the LS-2, one of the most ridiculously useful, versatile, and affordable utility pedals ever.

azfatboy and Brio like this.
  17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I have too many pedals, but my pedals current main pedals are a Hilton Volume, Optifet, Growler, Taurus chorus, Bandpass filter(Annoying highs and sub lows are cut out). those never change. Lehle ABT and tuner I don't call a pedal.

Top 5 I want

MBD-1
    Omnicab
    turbo tuner
    Broughton Audio Bandpass
    4.23mk boost

18. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    As I said in the 5 Worst pedal thread I only own 6 at the moment, where one of them is just a line selector doing nothing for the sound, but blending clean and effected, and a volume pedal that just turns the sound up and down....

I'll just list my three current favorite pedals of the ones I own then, in order of priority:

1. EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, which is always on and an essential part of my sound)

2. EHX Tube Zipper (Tube driven fuzz and envelope filter, but as it is defect only the fuzz part works, with minor effect on the character from how you chose to set all the other controls. It has a really nice sounding fuzz sound though, especially I like the over the top, out of control thick muddy fuzz I get by stacking it with my Boss MT-2 in front of it. And together with the few controls that does work on it and my Boss LS-2 loop pedal/line selector it can go from everywhere from a little hairy, to nice mellow fuzz to the before mentioned full on, over the top, out of control, deep, thick, muddy fuzz)

3. Zoom B3 (Digital multi effect, that does a quite decent job making up for the fact that I am not rich enough to buy whatever single pedal I want. The effect pedal equivalent to the Swiss Army Knife)

Honorable mention of previously owned pedals:

MXR M 108 (10 Band graphic EQ, which is a pretty straight forward graphic EQ with a lot of options for tone changes though, weather it is minor adjustments or character defining)

EHX Small Stone Nano (Which is my favorite sounding phaser pedal, and would have been a keeper, if it weren't for the fact that it sweeped away the lows as well, whenever engaged, and I would get lost in the band mix using it)

Boss CE-1
    (Amazingly rich and full sounding chorus and vibrato effect. But unfortunately it sucked so much tone, even when not engaged, that sadly it was useless in reality)

Of pedals that I never owned but have had the chance to try out at some point:

EHX Bass Microsynth (Beautifully old school sounding, thick synth pedal with the most awesome square wave fuzz I ever heard, as well as great sounding synthy octaver. Will definitely invest in one at some point)

Fender Blender
    (Capable of producing the most brutally nasty harsh broken kind of over the top, out of control, noisy fuzz sound I ever heard. Most likely I will try to convince one of my friends to build me a clone at some point.)

A little more than 5 I know, but I guess I am pardoned by the fact that I only mentioned 3 of those I actually own currently.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  19. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Darkglass B3K.
    MXR Envelope Filter.
    Korg Tuner.
    MXR Carbon Copy Delay.