Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. bigjames

bigjames Player of Smooth Lines

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
    I ordered from Sadowsky as well, but it was an in-stock bass that someone else had ordered and changed their mind on...so I agree that their service is excellent, but I did not go through the custom build process.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I can also confirm this with my Mike Lull PJ, extremely positive experience and the bass was finished ahead of schedule.

Arthur U. Poon, bigjames and Fuzzbass like this.
  3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think we can all agree that most established luthiers have a reputation for delivering quality products in a reasonable period of time. Otherwise they would have stickied threads about them. Like this.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    scottm and BeeTL like this.
  5. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
  6. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Read this thread. All i can say is good luck and i would never ever ever consider ordering or even buying a used zon.

I have a rickenbacker 4005xc on order (will be about a year wait all said and done… spring 2022).

i also have a custom dingwall on order (my first truly custom bass). But i bought a build slot in april 2022 to shortcut the 18 month typical wait.

4-5 years??? No bass is worth that. I dont care how graphite the neck is.

And yeah… they spent your money long ago. Thus the delay. And shops that dont pay suppliers their outstanding bills get lower shipping priority. Just saying.

That being said (harshly), good luck. If you are upset you have every right to be.

Goatrope and scottm like this.
  7. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Rent for a commercial building in CA must be very high. Not sure what commercial rents are like but some 1 bedroom apts are going for $2500/mo in Livermore (where the shop is located. Makes you wonder how many build deposits and completions you need per month to stay afloat. I wish everyone here (as well as the Zon shop) luck.

TrustRod and Lackey like this.
  8. Slaymus, TTA, Fuzzbass and 1 other person like this.
  9. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Finally received email response from Joe
    still waiting on pickups electronics and hardware no photos ordered in 2016.

bobdabilder likes this.
  10. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    oh no. No, I don’t think that’s alright at all.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  11. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    This thread is getting more depressing, and in the back of my mind I'd possibly like to get a 3rd Zon Legacy Elite but in a 5 string version but with the situation being as it is I would be very nervous to even thinking about putting a deposit down.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  12. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Very sorry to hear this.
    I hope that I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that even the body and neck of your bass don't exist...:( Otherwise you would have received photos I think.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  13. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    Ooffff! 2016? 5 years gone by. I'd be making a personal visit.

14. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    That's longer than a wait for a Wal.

Fuzzbass, mrgittleman and WG Plum like this.
  15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That is true.
    There are 2 crucial differences.
    That is the wait for pretty much any Wal you order. There are 3 Zon's (that we know of here) with that backlog - most are delivered more or less on time.
    The other is that with Wal you know up front that's your wait. These 3 Zons were promised long ago and far away. The "where is my bass? it was supposed to be sent to me years ago" factor doesn't exist with the Wals.

LBS-bass and J_Bass like this.
  16. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    The other crucial difference is that Paul Herman is honest with his clients and keeps them apprised of build progress.
    If you go through the Zon Club thread there have been other examples of Joe not stepping up. If @basschanges is around he can attest to a very difficult interaction. These are not isolated incidents.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    oddentity and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Agreed on the last couple of points. I ordered a Wal new in 2013, and the quoted wait time was 24 months. I got my bass in exactly 24 months, I got multiple unprompted emails along the way, I got photos of the neck and body, and a picture of the bass in its case just as it was being shipped. Compared to other premium builders, there is a stark contrast.

Ikkir, BWorm, WG Plum and 3 others like this.
  18. With the prices that Wal charge for relatively simple builds I'd expect them to chauffeur the new bass to my house in a Rolls Royce, never mind sending a few emails!

Jefus likes this.
  19. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Man the suck-a$$ thing now is Wal is not taking orders right now and you have to be put on a list and wait til Wal gets back with you once they get caught up on there orders and the last time I heard they were roughly 4 years out so that's why Paul isn't excepting orders.
    The other drag thing is once you are able to put in a deposit on a Wal, Wal won't give a finalized price just due to the fact that once you put your deposit in it will be roughly 3 to 4 years til your bass is finished and the cost of woods and customs taxes and shipping will be that more expensive.

BWorm likes this.
  20. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Not to mention the ever changing exchange rate.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021