Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    +1

2. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Waiting 2 years for a bass would be acceptable for me (if they quoted the time beforehand). A delay of several year is just unprofessional. The excuse of hardware-delays on a product that should have been finished years ago would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

I get that they don't spend a lot of time on the internet, but some updates should be done. I bought a custom base from Torillo with 32 inch scale. Got quoted a 9 month wait time. Every 2 weeks I got pictures of wood/parts that I could choose from. He made a mistake filing the neck and built a new one and I still got the bass after 6 months. 3 months before the quoted time. Torillo is a two-man shop, with Tom being the only builder, so there is no excuse for bad communication.

I ordered several things from Gotoh that were delayed. Gotoh is behind schedule, but it is 1-2 weeks, not months.

Yes that is what one should expect from custom builts. I thought about ordering an Fbass, but Torillo was cheaper due to the import taxes in Austria. Scary what Zon is telling his customers.

bigjames and mrgittleman like this.
  3. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    @Rumblefisher I saw some of your classified postings and wanted to say congratulations on your wife being pregnant! Have you had any contact with the shop recently?

RodRy likes this.
  4. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to give everyone a little update. I haven't heard from the shop lately, however I did drop the folks at Bartolini a line. Since Zon had mentioned that they were waiting for pickups, I figured I would try and talk to someone there and see what the ETA was. This is directly taken from the email response I received from Bartolini this morning:

Hi "Bigsnack",
    We have a bunch of stuff for Zon. Waiting for them to ask for it.
    Best Regards,
    Doug

So it sounds like Zon isn't requesting the pickups from the vendor, so it doesn't appear as though the issue is with Bartolini backorder issues afterall... Maybe a few folks mentioning that a little birdie told them that the pickups are ready and waiting might help. Take care and talk to you soon!

RodRy likes this.
  5. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    ...wow...
    I was recently told that the delays were due to Bartolini. Some sketchy stuff seems to be going on.

RodRy likes this.
  6. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    I wonder what Zon would tell you if you told them what Doug from Bartolini told you.

RodRy and tblurker like this.
  7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    So wait a minute. This is getting into damned if you do and damned if you don't territory.

The honest builder who sees a mess on the horizon with regard to not being able to source parts is supposed to do what, exactly? Take your order and feed you some imaginary build date that he knows he may not be able to adhere to? Or maybe do what Paul is doing and stop taking orders until things are a bit more under control.

I really don't get the idea that people are supposed to pull things out of the ether to satisfy everyone no matter which way the wind if blowing. If parts are scarce (and they are) I'd much rather be told that it can't be done than given some BS line and left to twist in the wind. Honesty is hard to swallow sometimes, but at least it's honest.

OldShark, Fuzzbass and 31HZ like this.
  8. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    ill let you know what they say ;)

9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Honesty up front and refund if necessary is best I think.

My Wendler and Lowdown were both moderately late and both times THE BUILDER took the initiative to repeatedly keep me informed with updated and pictures. I never had to chase them and I happily recommend them to anyone.

The builder of my pedal steel (Stage One and Encore Zum models)stops taking orders at some point almost every year, sometimes for quite a few months or more. He only starts taking orders again when he is sure he can deliver a new batch of orders within the time frame agreed to.

That sort of clear headedness and honesty is the way to go.

iTzPrime, WG Plum, tblurker and 3 others like this.
  10. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks! That's going to be an awkward one...

11. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I hate to say it but from my experience in working in small Mom&Pop camera stores that were struggling to stay open because of Amazon my guess is Zon isn’t asking for the Bart parts because he would then have to pay for them and for whatever reasons he doesn’t have the money right now, just an educated guess.

RodRy, EagleMoon, bigsnack and 6 others like this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

In late 2017, Zon told me my bass should be done by January, one month before the ETA of 8 months. It arrived in March. No complaints from me at all... Just wanted to say that this is the reason Zon gave for the delay: "Bartolini sent the wrong pickups".

Two TBer friends who experienced multi-year waits on their Zons were also given "Bartolini messed up" as one of the excuses.

And I'm pretty sure I've heard it from others over in the Zon club thread.

So, it's definitely a theme with Zon. My hunch is that Bartolini is aware that Zon regularly scapegoats them -- the best companies make mistakes, I assume it's true at least some of the time. But perhaps Bartolini is getting a little tired of it, so they were willing to say they built the gear, Zon just needs to collect.

Again, just a hunch.

13. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, Bartolini’s response had the “here we go again” air to it.

14. Jefus

Jefus I..um...yeah...about that... Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    Oddly, the whole reason I ordered a new Zon a few months ago was so I could get one without Bartolinis. Nothing against that company but I've hated their pickups in anything but a fretless.

15. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Well everyone, it looks like my approach has helped move things along at Zon. I received an email very early this morning that I should (fingers crossed) have my bass before the end of the month :) We shall see, but hopefully this will lead to some good results for a few other folks as well!

Jefus, kesslari, mrgittleman and 6 others like this.
  16. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Glad to hear that but as we've seen before it ain't over till it's over.

I emailed Doug at Bartolini about Zon for fun and all he told me was that the pandemic is causing delays. :roflmao:

tblurker, Slaymus and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    A couple years ago, I was told « ready in 2 weeks » « next month » several times during more than 6 months…
    Good luck @bigsnack !

Fuzzbass, mrgittleman and bigsnack like this.
  18. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    No suprise there. As I said with Gotoh where I ordered quite a few parts they have delays 1-2 weeks. 2-4 weeks if you have something more special. Guess it is the same for bartolini. After reading the thread it seems that either Zon is incompetent dealing with many orders or malicious. Either way not a great look...

19. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Did you raise a stink about it? If you did, did it help? I'm starting to get a bit tired of the runaround.

20. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    You think you’re tired of the runaround I’ve been waiting 1,891 days and still can’t get a straight answer.

radmin and bobdabilder like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021