Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    4 years wait compensated for by scale change. Then a $1000 upcharge sprung on you after the neck and body are made?
    Ugh.
    I'd nail this down now if I were you, otherwise you know exactly what will be the result after he's "mulled it over". Does he know there's a sticky on TB about him?

This whole thing is a shame. I still remember the Zon we had at GC when I was working there 16 years ago. It was a real beauty and held up as a top flight aspirational instrument.

wmmj, DrMole, Katoosie and 4 others like this.
  2. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I remember in the early 90's there was a music store in Lakewood, Colorado called Rockley Music and they carried Zon Legacy Elite's & also Zon Sonus models, they also carried Ken Smith, Alembic, Pedulla, Modulus, heck that store carried everything but that was before Guitar Center wipe out the mom & pop music stores out.

wmmj, India_Sierra and Funkinthetrunk like this.
  3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I don't think he knows there's a thread...I didn't really mean to start it in bad spirit, just out of genuine concern when I hadn't heard from him in a while.

I took your advice and sent him an email just now. I hope I don't peeve him, the last thing I want is him to begrudgingly finish this build. I just kinda asked if he would forgive the cost of materials because of the 4 year wait...and because I paid in full up front and didn't say anything during the 4 year wait.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  4. Let him get peeved. The wait is out of hand.

DrMole, BadJazz, Clark W and 5 others like this.
  5. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I hear you man, I'm in the same boat. That being said, being nice, polite, friendly, patient, etc. doesn't seem to be getting you any closer to a completed bass. It certainly hasn't worked for me either FWIW!

mrgittleman and Rumblefisher like this.
  6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Whatever 34" scale bass he started - he can finish it and sell for a profit.

After a year, a thousand bucks is OK.

After 4.5, it's not.

DrMole, 80jazz, Katoosie and 4 others like this.
  7. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    That seems strange and confusing, changing to a 32” scale “will count as compensation” but only if you pay for it?
    Was the original neck somehow custom compared to other necks? I don’t see how he’s losing anything putting that neck on one of the other basses that’s waiting instead.

Ikkir and Rumblefisher like this.
  8. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I think so too the more I think about it.

Yeah I wrote that in the message as well...hopefully he ends up seeing it that way as well. Its not a custom neck, but it is a set neck (the less available option). Still, set neck vinnys are not custom, just not the more widely available bolt on.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    He has posted in this thread. 2 years ago, mind you.

10. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Yeah if I caved to an extra $1000 I’d better get both necks, but in your place I wouldn’t be willing to send more money under any circumstance.
    Did the sales contract include any “outs” for not meeting the original terms? Unless it spells out in the sales contract Zon gets to work on your bass indefinitely then legally I expect you are entitled to demand a refund at this point, but I almost doubt there would be available funds to pay you back. Plus after all this time I imagine you’d want to finally receive what you’ve been waiting for.

Hopefully it all works out for the best and you get exactly what you want!

Rumblefisher likes this.
  11. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I don't think there's any outs. I really just want the bass...if it had been delivered within the initial timeframe then this wouldn't be an issue...but a lot can happen in 4 years, and my playing changed to prefer 32 scale. I brought up if they want to complete the original order that's OK, but martin said it would be fine without mention of 1000 charge. I was just taken by surprise when Mr Zon brought it up.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  12. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Yes that was 2 years ago, what about right now!!!!

13. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    For what it’s worth, I had a very well-known luthier build two new necks for me (for two separate basses) and charge me nothing - he just kept the original necks. Will the body of the bass you ordered still be used on your bass? Because if so then the idea of Zon charging you for a neck that you will not be receiving is a little bit much. The whole four-plus year wait is ludicrous and Zon should be embarrassed and willing to bend over backwards for you at this point.

DrMole and Rumblefisher like this.
  14. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    No, body needs to change a little (downsized). But then again he can also just make and sell the regular size body and neck separately. Or I can chip in 100 bucks for cost of a body blank.

Either way, I can't imagine a shortage of buyers and given the usual wait for a zon I would imagine he would have a line of people willing to buy a zon vinny 34" scale. Far more so than he probably would have 32" scale customers.

15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    How do you know Zon has even started the original bass ordered? Unless you have progress pictures, I wouldn't believe it exists at all!

DrMole, Slaymus and bobdabilder like this.
  16. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree with this statement. There’s been lip service on a few orders in this thread already, who knows how far that rabbit hole goes. I’m really glad this is getting visibility, maybe it will feed back to those guys and get them to round a corner with this stuff!

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sounds like Martin and Joe did not communicate. Thhat shou
    A lot of luthiers (and other people) don't spend time on the internet. It's not where their attention goes. Demanding (on forum) that they do so is like yelling for your kid to come into the living room while they're away at physical school (remember those days? coming soon again I hope) - they just aren't there to hear you.
    IMO this issue (and thread) won't be resolved by Joe posting here but by @mrgittleman @Rumblefisher and whomever else is on the multi-year waiting-and-avoidance plan getting their instruments.

18. I agree that it won’t be resolved by posting here.

However, I doubt that any bassists reading this thread will order a bass from Zon.

And if they do, at least they will know what they are getting into.

19. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I guess I can understand where you're coming from but at the same time these folks want answer's, obviously these folks can't get there deposit back which to me is so strange considering somebody is waiting 12 years and still waiting and they are not getting any concrete reason why it's taking so long and they can't get there deposit back!!!!
    Maybe the Covid situation screwed everything up and causing a domino effect on all the luthier's.
    I can only imagine somebody that ordered a instrument 4 1/2 to 12 years ago and getting there price quote then and now prices on everything completely soared out the roof and there instrument still isn't made yet and does that mean the customer that already has been waiting for there Zon is going to have to pay a higher price that the builder needs to charge to cover today's cost on materials?
    Zon Guitars I remember back in the 90's and early 2000's seemed like a well run organized business, when I finally got around ordering my first Zon in 2013 I received it roughly 9 months later, my 2nd Zon I ordered in Oct. 2018 and received that in July 2020.
    I love both of my Zon's but if I could afford to buy another Zon I would be very nervous to order just because of the situation with what is going on with Zon.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    I will say that I probably would not have put a deposit down on a build if I ran across this thread first. I'm hoping for the best for all of you that have been waiting a long time.

Lownote38 and Fuzzbass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021