Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Sticky please!!!

doran.dragic likes this.
  2. Can't believe it's not a sticky.

doran.dragic likes this.
  3. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    If you look at all the qualifiers for past stickies....this one hits every criteria. There should be no debate.

This should be a sticky.

Katoosie, JeroB666 and bigsnack like this.
  4. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings, Epifani Amps
    This should be a sticky! If you need graphite hit up Modulus

5. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Heck you ordered a Zon, got married and bought a house all before your first job?!

I hope you’re working as a financial advisor! :laugh:

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    OK upon re-reading that's a little misleading...I meant my first ATTENDING job...I'd been working as a resident and fellow for 6 years and saved *every*little*penny.* I also applied for "physician's loan financing" which allowed me to put 10% toward a downpayment with 90% financing instead of the usual 20-30% downpayment in NY.

Honestly, basses are my only vice. I don't really travel...smoke, drink, do other recreational things :D , gamble...so being a bit boring allowed me to save enough to buy the house. Oh, also the wife and I didn't do a giant wedding...just family and some friends in a church and a nice dinner...that certainly helped with closing costs!

BassBuzzRS, bobunit, Joshua and 3 others like this.
  7. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...the folks at Zon have been really nice through this, and I'm sure they appreciate the Zen attitude instead of a confrontational one. They are even willing to help redesign the order as I've started playing shorter scales (looking at 32") so they're trying their best to do right by me as well. Credit where credit is due :)

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Credit is due to you for your cool approach, but 4.5 years later exactly zero credit is due Zon. Stockholm syndrome is real.

Would they "do right by" you if you asked for a refund?

How is this not a sticky?

9. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    You're very brave asking for a redesign after waiting this long. I wish you luck.

Fuzzbass and Rumblefisher like this.
  10. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    You are both right.

*Sigh* just trying to stay positive. I don't think a refund would be honored, but I also haven't asked.

It might end up being faster in a strange way...like "get it done and out before he changes his mind again" :D . I'm hopeful it won't be this long again for sure.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  11. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    I like your optimism. Would love to see it once it's complete.

12. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Wow, looks like this has been elevated to a sticky.

I really hope they can get it together and deliver on the outstanding builds. I wonder if they are looking to hire anyone or would accept some volunteer work. I wouldn't mind learning the trade and volunteering my time if I weren't so busy with work and family.

13. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Sticky is the right move. The guys at the shop could very easily make this right, with just a little bit of honesty and some drive to clear out the oldest orders first. I’m willing to wait another year if it means the guys that have been waiting 5 years get their instruments before me! C’mon Zon, DO IT!!

14. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Just be aware that this could cause additional delays. When my 32" Zon bass build was delayed, the explanation they gave for one portion of the delay was that they had started building and then realized that making that bass at 32" required more redesigning than anticipated, so they had to scrap the bass and start over with a modified design.

15. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Yeah you mentioned that previously in this thread I think, which I appreciate! At this point, I don't mind waiting a bit more to get what I really want. I know there's a lot of people who will say 34, 32 what's the difference? I have found I really like 32, less fatiguing for me, and yes I have pretty amateur playing technique!

Having a bass put together with a Lowe 32 neck to tide me over...can't wait to post a review of that 1! I think I'll have that one by the end of June :D

Maybe it's me being overly optimistic, but Mr Zon has a huge name in our community, and I would think he would want to squash any negativity before it became linked to his name. Fingers crossed even with switching over to 32 it won't take more than the original quoted time of 12 weeks :)

BeeTL likes this.
  16. Oh my. It was stickied.

Does anybody know what was the deciding factor for the mod(s) to decide to sticky it?

17. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Most likely everything that has been discussed in this thread. People should know the backlog that exists and that it could be 4+ years.

31HZ, Fuzzbass and bigsnack like this.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Another user's Zon warning thread was stickied a couple/few years ago, but was quickly deleted at that user's request. Very long story short: it wasn't deleted because his situation was resolved (to the contrary), he had other reasons which are not relevant here. Point is, there's precedent for the stick.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  19. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    WOW!!!! This is very sad news but I totally understand, Joe Zon needs to get on here and make some kind of statement on what is exactly going on with his company, some of the folks on here that have been waiting anywhere between 4 1/2 to 12 years in my mind is simply unacceptable and these folks can't get there deposit back, this seriously blows my mind!!!!

20. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I actually spoke to Mr Zon this afternoon. I had been previously speaking with Martin, who I believe is the front office manager. Martin had mentioned that switching to a 32 would be fine and we would count that as a compensation for the wait.

Mr Zon was very nice, we got down to brass tacks...the body and neck are done and made. He's willing to pivot to a 32, and was nice about going through the details of it. The only catch for me is that he (understandably) would like to be compensated for the materials on the previous build, something in the order of a $1000.

Well, I balked at that, especially after my conversation with Martin. I don't really want to take a 30% hit on the cost of the bass. I asked if he would consider reducing that cost and he said he'll mull on it and we can settle it later. I'll ask him, since I'm providing pickups as well, maybe we can reduce the cost to something like 350 or 400? (essentially take a few hundred bucks off for the wait and a couple hundred for supplying my own pickups). I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't stick up for myself a bit more...but then again I'm also asking for a brand new bass really, and I feel guilty about that.

I dunno...again, Mr Zon was very cordial and I really have to say I'm not one for 34" scale anymore...I'd really just try to turn around and sell it and buy a 32". I'd eat the hit if it was a couple hundred bucks, I'm just bummed that I'd have to add $1000 to the build I really can't spare (because I just blew a bundle on a couple sets of LP pickups).

Garret Graves likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021