5 string bassists that are good?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CaM90, Jun 2, 2005.

1. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I am getting my five string in the next few weeks (SR905), and I don't know many 5 stringed bassists to play their music. Any genre is fine. I only know a few 5 stringed bassists but I need more because I don't know what good covers I can play by myself or with my band. Please don't say comments like "You should make your own songs and play them, don't rely on bands to play." Or something along thsoe lines because I do create my own stuff I just need some good 5 stringed bassists. :bassist:
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pick up a copy of Paul McCartney's "Flowers In The Dirt", he plays a Wal 5 string on a bunch of the songs on that record. Listen for the taseful use of the notes below "E".

When you're done, grab a copy of Joe Jackson's "Summer In The City" live record. Graham Maby plays beautifully!
  3. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Traa Daniels from P.O.D.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Juan Nelson of Ben Harper is one of my favorites and plays a 5 string CS Fender I believe.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Myung uses a 6. Jeordie White uses a 4.

Dirk Lance from Incubus has had some cool lines on Science and on "Are You In" from Morning View. Though I dislike Phish, Mike Gordon is very talented also. Fred Hammond plays a Smith five I believe, but I don't listen to much gospel so I really don't know.

Juneau: He has also used a MTD535 in the past.
  7. Twelve

May 28, 2005
    What the ****? What about Les Claypool?
  8. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Dont forget at Gary Willis!!!! Lord of 5string!!!
  9. Roscoe Beck, perhaps?
  10. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Lets not leave out Nathan East.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Steve DiGiorgio
  12. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    norm stockton is a god
  13. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
  14. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    on someof the mid ninties and earlier dream theater stuff he played 5, he switch to six several yaers ago though
  15. eclipseyou

Jun 3, 2005
    you know you can play 4 string songs on a 5 string bass right o.0 anyway a really good bassist is Ryknow of MuDvAyNe, he uses a 5 string for most songs and he is incredibly fast on a bass
  16. jason newstead, robert trujillo, feildy, ryan martinie to name but a fraction
  17. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...but Will Lee has got some serious phat groove goin' on. If you can, pick up a copy of Delbert McClinton's Never Been Rocked Enough - about half the tracks feature Will on bass (and Paul Schaeffer on keys). The man do know how to lay it down, and doesn't overuse the B string.
  18. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Dave Ellefson and Jason Newsted are great. My favourite would have to be Steve DiGiorgio though.