6 String BASS Club (Guitarists keep out!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hey, Nov 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. the SR 6-strings are so comfortable with the sleek necks and tight string spacing. That finish/wood combo is pretty eye-catching!

I bought my first SR Ibanez a year or two ago and then got kind of obsessed and bought two more :drool:

Here’s the crew all together.

2. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    A) that's awesome! And inspiring me to pull out an old Benedetto Marcello Sonata in F for trombone book in my crates haha

B) that's a serious rig of thunder. Are those two sets of the Nordy Big Singles? That's what's on mine and I'm really digging them

C) the wood on this one feels like they finished it, but left it just grainy enough for every ring to be tactile and natural. They dun good. That said, I think I'm seeing some birdseye maple under translucent coats there? That trio is a mix of all their best work haha

Grueber likes this.
  3. yes there are Nordstrands on 2 of mine. The orangish one is actually a slightly lesser model than the other two, but I kind of think it plays the best. The finishes are all nice in my opinion, with my lighter color one feeling the most “raw”

4449C132-A177-4618-860A-3364AFA1A7EE.jpeg

I also found the only BTB model I think I’ll ever buy. It’s 6-string, 33 inch scale, has tighter string spacing, and an adjustable ramp. I tune it EADGCF.

have fun rocking those sonatas! :bassist:

4. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks. Yes I love the narrow spacing on a 6 string. It makes many things easier. Would not want anything different know.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    What are your assessments on the Nordstrand Big Singles on the two SR's compared to the Bartolini BH2's on the orangish SR and on the BTB?

6. So, I’m actually very lacking when it Comes to understanding pickups and electronics from a technical standpoint. I know that I prefer the bass with the Bartolinis in it. I know it sounds good to me, but I dont really know why. The Nordstrom’s are fine and my bass tech that does my setups even commented how much he liked them. However, I think they are a little noisier than the barts. This could also be human error on my part of not knowing how to dial the right sound in :wacky:

TerribleTim68 and Aidil like this.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    If they hum than you may need to have those basses shielded more than they are. Those pickups are single coils so you will get some hum, but you can reduce it to almost nothing with proper shielding.

Real Soon and Grueber like this.
  8. Thanks for the tip, I will have to revisit that issue. I have been playing my Kiesels lately so I haven’t actually touched these Ibanez basses in a while.

mtb777 and emjazz like this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I haven't got a bass with Nordstrand pickups, but I do own 4 Ibanez basses with Bartolini pickups. Probably it's fair that those Nordstrands are single coils, thus they will be noisier when the pickup balance knob isn't at center detent, whereas those Bartolinis are all humbuckers, thus there will be no noise at any pickup balance knob positions.

mtb777 and Real Soon like this.
  10. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That's my one issue thus far with the Big Singles--they sound great blended, but I can't move the blend pot very much without hum. Might be time to break out the copper tape... once I've spent more time just playing. I can't put the thing down.

mtb777 and Aidil like this.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Call Mo at the Nordstrand shop if you need some pointers on shielding. I'm sure he would help. Mo's the man!

mtb777, Joshua and Real Soon like this.
  12. nooffswitch

nooffswitch

Dec 27, 2016
    Spokane Wa
    if you look up a few posts, you'll see the Status 6 i sold when i got the pickups in this rewound... the Status was better...but not $1700 dollars better. Now if you look at my profile pic. you'll see it.

mtb777 likes this.
  13. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    IMG_6824.JPG

My current two basses, 6 and 5. Bought that SR almost 10 years ago :bassist:

I got into 6 string bass because my bass teacher, when I was first starting (around 2008), played one and some time later my church got one too and I could use it for practicing (both were Ibanez SR 506), so I got this one in 2011, which is from a short run they did with a maple neck/fretboard.

To celebrate 10 years with that one, I've been considering getting another one next year (though some recent expenses might change that) and I've been GASing for one of the SR 1346B Premiums :drool:

14. Seashore

Seashore

Jun 2, 2019
    Finally dressed my SR1006 back up with some knobs. Two of these are actual volume knobs, the other two are dummy knobs I put in so I don't have holes in the top. 20200927_153642_HDR.jpg

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Martin Keith semi hollow 6....
    Screenshot_20200929-220738_Instagram.jpg

16. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Maple fretboard on an SR sounds cool! They're big on the dark wood neck section, apparently always have been. Not to throw fire on the GAS, but.... the SR1346B is miiiighty nice. :smug: then again, next year, all those amazing new offerings that only go to 5 might add a 6-string variant, so hey...

Funny to think, when I was younger, I always thought "Soundgear" sounded like a terrible name. But seeing basses with build quality that rivals some boutique custom shops made me forget about that over time, and honestly, the designs have only gotten cooler and cooler.

mtb777 and Outtaseezun like this.
  17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    My SR isn't quite as cool as this, though. Looks like it grew right out of a heretofore undiscovered species of tree and was picked & polished.

mtb777 and emjazz like this.
  18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Unreasonably or not, I have a strong preference for NT basses and keep forgetting Ibanez made some in the SR range. I'll keep an eye out when the controlavirus hysteria dies down and there are some instruments on the market again.

mtb777 and Seashore like this.
  19. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    E1D8B48B-EE57-4E29-B02B-257DD2A8644E.jpeg 329B0C3B-4902-4FAD-B279-C90DEAC26DEE.jpeg 69F784BC-9FA8-4D58-94C3-07DE9E454E1F.jpeg I picked up and played my SRSC 806 today for the first time in a while and always takes a bit to get used to it because I usually play fretless and I don’t know why but this bass just kills my fingertips more even though it’s strung with my favorite Pedulla Nickel taperwounds like most of my Basses. The C is just tight for some reason. It’s 19mm I think and my other 6 is a Pedulla ThunderBolt 6 with 17.5 mm spacing and the tension is so much lighter feeling for some reason. Same string sets. The SRSC has Active/Passive Barts and I’d pretty versatile and it pretty well nails a P/J sound in passive mode. The TB6 has the old 3 knob Bart setup which is pretty nasally sounding, plays like butter and the PentaBuzz is Bart PJ NTMB setup that rules!

Aidil, gzarruk and Bassist4Eris like this.
  20. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    emjazz likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021