6 String BASS Club (Guitarists keep out!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hey, Nov 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I'll take a number. I went low on this one F#-G tuning. 35" scale.

1471603804852.jpg 1471589060908.jpg

2. I'm back in the six string fold after a few years away with this 1990 Manne fretless, made in Italy. It is fantastic! The Pentabuzz pictured next to it is also fretless.

XzZkwNH.jpg

Loring, friend33, Real Soon and 8 others like this.
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Congrats.

Wish I could own an SRSC806. It's one of those models which isn't listed to be sold here in the country where it was being made... :(

mtb777 likes this.
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

My new/used Ibanez BTB676.
    Bought a month ago.
    BTB 1.jpeg BTB.jpeg

Loring, Lebowitz, B-Mac and 13 others like this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    My new main, and first 6 string bass, an Ibanez SR306EB in Weathered Black finish, 34" scale with a Naytoh body, 5 piece Maple/Walnut neck, and Jatoba fretboard with 24 medium frets, tuned to D standard, as in 3 half steps above regular 6 string bass B standard tuning, or 2 half steps bellow regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, and strung accordingly, 16,5mm string spacing, which I have named "The Noodle Queen" :
    A-Ibanez-SR306-EB-020121-666l-noodle-queen-copy-2-dark-red.jpg

Absolutely love it.

Sounds and plays no short of amazing.

Took a little time to get proper used to the wider fretboard, the scale was really no issue, coming from a just 28,6" scale 4 string Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass, which was my old main, but originally starting out playing a regular 34" scale bass and continued to do so for about 10 years forward, until getting my first short scale, but from then on then exclusively having played short scale up until now, where I suddenly felt the urge for a full scale 6 string.

But here after just under 2 weeks of playing my new 6 string both the neck width and the regular 34" scale neck feels pretty natural to me already, though my picking hand muscle memory still need to adjust properly to the tighter string spacing, every once in a while stumbling over the strings, but I feel quite confident that that will sort out within all too long as well.

And yes, I would like to have a number as well, please, so I got proof that I am now officially a genuine authorized 6 string bass player. :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Loring, Razman, TerribleTim68 and 5 others like this.
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Bump City! Good read!

7. Hey! May I join? Resized_20210306_094826001.jpeg

Loring, mtb777, armybass and 6 others like this.
  8. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    armybass likes this.
  9. @gzarruk That bass is heavenly..you won't be disappointed! Very versatile and the neck is like silk!

gzarruk likes this.
  10. P.S. Also meant to mention the strings are adjustable up to 18 mm from 16.5 and comes with gig bag

11. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    9D1CEF87-B7F7-4910-9674-A4F0E8F8ADEB.jpeg C717DA7E-54C3-4F12-9C0C-A1E23FE4760A.jpeg 73A29A6E-581A-4AA6-BA5F-DCA19710BB72.jpeg OK .... here are my current VI’s.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Loring, mtb777, gebass6 and 8 others like this.
  12. Those are beauties @armybass ! I'm really digging that Carvin. Been jonesing for another fretless for awhile. Just ordered the Ibby Portamento 6'er. Supposed to be here tomorrow..I'm giddy!

armybass likes this.
  13. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I had that Ibanez. Wish I had kept that one.

mtb777 and Lebowitz like this.
  14. Good to know @armybass. I didn't have one close for me to try out, so going off of reviews. The neck is same size as that 1346 I got, so hopefully won't feel much different. Always been a fan of Ibanez necks but been hit and miss on the Bartollini pickups. The 1346 has Norstrands and are phenomenal. Of course I could be a little biased..lol

gzarruk and armybass like this.
  15. @armybass Welp, my Portamento came in. Gonna have to take it to the shop. I am getting no sound out of the neck or bridge pickups. The piezo is working fine. I switched out the stock battery with brand new, still no dice. Sorry to be salty, but in the process of emails with music store seller trying to find out details and the so called setup and electronic check they supposedly do before they ship. I'm sure it will be Fed Ex's fault. The body and neck looks great and feels fantastic!

mtb777 likes this.
  16. "Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
    - Roy, of The IT Crowd

Nah seriously : can't the seller just replace the item? Or pay for fixing it?

mtb777 likes this.
  17. Ha Ha! @Outtaseezun They are supposed to get back with me. If I would guess, I bet it is a solder problem also. If it turns out that I have to ship it back and wait 2 weeks, I will just get it fixed myself and eat the cost (as long as it isn't major). The shipping might have caused a solder to break. Never know. Thanks!

Outtaseezun likes this.
  18. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    My SRSC 806 has gone rouge like that recently and only plays in the passive mode! Battery has been swapped several times with no luck. So it’s off to the luthiers very soon. It sounds good in passive mode though. But it might go up for sale soon to fund a new acoustic bass build. Yes, it’ll be a 6-string fretless.

Lebowitz likes this.
  19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Hi, six stringers. It's too quiet over here! :)

My second single from my solo album 'Six Against Four' is released today. Lot of six string bass on there. Album will be released next Friday. Hope you like it!

20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Hey everybody. I'm starting to think about another sixer. I'm looking for the most J-like tone I can get; think Marcus Miller. Lightweight a big plus. Budget $2000 US. I'm looking at Kiesels. Any other suggestions?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021