1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$67 Glarry P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamesNC, Jan 12, 2019.

1. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    “I order this for sh*ts and giggles, and expected it to be junk. It’s far from it! So many things about this bass are impressive”

Good News, Cutter8 :)
    After seeing your cool photographs & cheaper cost I’m going to be cheeky and ask the eBay seller for some money off…

Wish me luck!!! ;-)

2. The problem is that your bass has a twenty-one fret neck on a body that was designed for a twenty fret neck, with the pickup positioned for a twenty-fret neck. But that extra fret forces the bridge to be positioned too near the pickup.

The lack of overhang isn't the problem. The problem is that extra fret. If you check the online sales sites of these Glarry, et al basses, I doubt you will find any pics of basses with twenty-one frets.

3. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    ? I can't find the original listings on the bay anymore. You guys must've bought the sellers out :roflmao:. I DO see people trying to make a profit listing them at ~$80&^

4. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Good eye. On the blank headstock ebay link, the picture in the listing shows both 20 and 21 fret necks. It only looks like the red and white one is 20 frets.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  5. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Man I wish Rondo would restock the SX basses. I Shoulda bought more when I could.

G19Tony and patrickj like this.
  6. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

I understand you entirely, sir!

I think we are talking at Cross purposes here?

Let me put it this way if you were going to sort this bass out you would either have to cut into the body OR cut into the neck -which do you think YOU would choose to do?

I believe you would agree with me that the latter would be in order in which case we are BOTH in agreement! :)

Of course, as has been mentioned previously, a third alternative would be to just leave it as it is and enjoy it for what it is and I could almost do that where it not for the balance problem which is such that the extra length of neck is effectively makingThe strap position on the top Horn, to all intents and purposes, too “short“

So, Short of buying a whole new neck, I can’t think of any other way this bass could be adjusted

7. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

I must admit if I could get away with this on UK Ebay then I would!!

8. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

If that is the case on the USA eBay site then be wary of getting into the position I am on my yellow bass ;-)

9. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    You can still get an SX at two and three times the cost. They are only sold direct now from SX. Rondo doesn't have much.

10. My Glarry was not this bad when I inspected it after purchase. Summer 2018.

The build wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Playability was just fine after some tweaks. I just thought it had poor electronics.

I can imagine for the price quality will be shaky at any point in time. But I was quite pleased with it besides wanting to mod it a good set of pickups. I still plan to do just that.

merseymale likes this.
  11. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    If you look on Alibaba, there are LOT’S of sub $75 basses.

FingerDub and merseymale like this.
  12. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    P
    Same here mod wise but now that I HEAR it and note the Hardware I think I’ll just sort the neck & be Happy

Diesel Kilgore likes this.
  13. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

That site was my first port of call, so to speak, but I just don’t know about whether to trust it? (Yes this from the guy with the bass I ended up with from eBay!!) Has anyone had any experience here of Alibaba basses?

Also I often found that the price quoted was when you bought more than one of them in bulk rather than just a one off but YMMV

14. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    That's a pretty blatant manufacturing defect. I would return it. Is that not an option?

merseymale likes this.
  15. Hmmm. This suggests that (for reasons I cannot fathom) the manufacturers chose to offer both 20 and 21 fret options for essentially the same instrument but did not alter the rest of the platform to accommodate that extra fret. To have everything lay out re bridge position etc. as merseymale wishes would require a longer pocket to move the neck further back toward the bridge, which in turn would move the bridge back toward the butt of the instrument. Clearly, that did not happen.

FingerDub likes this.
  16. And I too believe we basically are in agreement. My first option would be to replace the neck, but then the bridge would have to be moved back, which would leave exposed holes from the old bridge position. It seems there is no option available to you that does not carry with it any undesirable consequences. I personally do not see how it is possible to cut into the neck without running afoul of the truss rod, so I would have to go with extending the pocket.

Re the balance problem: are you saying the neck dives, or is it just that you experience some playing discomfort because things are not quite in the places you are accustomed to them being? If the latter, maybe more time spent with the bass would recalibrate your muscle memory to a new normal.

17. Been there. When I was getting my lot, almost two years ago, one of my purchases was advertised as having a twenty-one fret neck, which for me at that time was a selling point, a plus. When the bass arrived, it had a twenty fret neck.

18. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

It is, but I’m just being silly, I suppose…

So much I like about this bass, you see!
    and I like fixing things and tinkering things and modding things -specially musical things

and is just so cheap!

but I will contact them and ask them if they want to give me a partial refund for my trouble and I’m sure they’ll just say no just return it to us will send you out a new one In which case I won’t bother!

Considering the price I paid for this they are still going to get five stars from me!

19. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

All really good points!

I find that truss rods are only so long for any particular instrument and I think, in my experience, practically any guitar or bass that has steel strings could, if one wanted to, have The fingerboard removed and one with as many frets as a neck pick up (or bridge saddles, for that matter!) Can cope with as long as it is in the form of an overhang

Just to make sure, though, I will use a strong magnet to locate the end of the truss rod and make sure I’m not cutting anywhere near it because a new neck would cost more than the entire instrument!

They are THAT good value :)

Of course all this will be a moot point if the trust rod access was at the body end but thank goodness it’s at the headstock end -P H E W!!

Also the thing I like about being lucky enough to own more than one instrument is that the differences are something to help one; challenge one; make one more creative and I think it’s a good way to keep one’s basslife more active by trying to accommodate oneself around new and unfamiliar instruments so it’s not that the layout isn’t just the way I want it or anything but again, yours is still a good point as most people do not think like me in this regard hence the whole custom shop scene That’s happily beginning to flourish again

20. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

I know what you mean!!
    I bet you didn’t return it though!

That’s the thing with this stuff maybe in a few years down the line when 50 or $60 for a bass is commonplace we will start to get a bit more picky but right now they’re just one more happy encouragement to mod & maintain more instruments!

I think this must be what it was like when danelectro instruments started being sold in catalogues? there is a cheap and cheerful charm to these wackily coloured basses and if they weren’t familiar shapes that nudge us into expecting a certain level of familiarity of dimensions etc people like me would be less inclined to gripe!