1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$67 Glarry P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamesNC, Jan 12, 2019.

1. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    I honestly think the production line doesn't even notice. The Oompa Oompa-Loompas there just slap whatever neck comes out on the conveyor belt with what ever body is available there and then.

merseymale likes this.
  2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    "Ooompa Loompas" - :laugh::roflmao:

3. Oompa loompa doopity dee, seventy dollars is practically free... ;)

4. Okay update I was told the sku I was looking for would be in on the 5th it wasn't they told me it was in on the 11th it was only in the Uk warehouse, so I was told the 15th for the US warehouse.
    I check today at 5am and it isn't available even though they me told me it was? I can't believe that it went out of stock before most people are awake? I emailed their CS with my disappointment. I told the kid yesterday I would ordering it for him today more shatter hopes arggg.

5. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

Well now we know why they
    make these basses SO lightweight!

FingerDub likes this.
  6. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Buy the $19.99 melodica instead.

Flooflox and merseymale like this.
  7. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I ordered mine Friday at 6pm after getting a notice from Glarry that they were available Friday at 4pm. I'll post any observations once it gets here and I've had time to fiddle with it.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    It's on my list. :)

9. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    D5C8996A-D486-45C2-A9C0-2AA9018B5FD9.

Well this photo, taken from UK eBay, certainly proves that this young lady is happy with her purchase!

G19Tony likes this.
  10. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

Well guess what?

I sent the pictures I posted on this site to the eBay seller (who I’d already exchanged positive feedback with BTW) & mentioned what we’d all discussed, here because, well, Who knows he might want to send me a packet of strings or something?!

I asked them about whether that my bass was B stock or something and, I suppose, the underlying theme was “check all Your Instruments before sending them out in case any of them had issues it would reflect badly on ya” ‍

Well the seller just messaged me via eBay and offered a partial refund!!!

So now, at the current rate of exchange, I bought this bass(assuming he will go through with the PayPal refund!!) For a total of only $31.50

I’ll keep you posted but if the seller keeps his promise then I will sell the old neck and put the refund & the money I get for that and get a really nice neck I reckon?
    Who knows, this could be “my ideal favourite best ever never need another one family heirloom Bass Of My Dreams!”

11. Update: I spoke with their CS person they said it was there fault they had the wrong Sku# after a long apology and instant discount offer to chose another color I told them to just hold the next yellow one for me, which they were happy to do. So the new in house for them is sometime next month, and if they hold true to their word I should have one locked down. For now my EB0 is suiting him well. :)

Flooflox and merseymale like this.
  12. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Got the bass today, still in the box until my son gets home.

G19Tony, merseymale and JamesNC like this.
  13. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    OK. I've messed with it a bit and here are my impressions....

Fit and finish: Not too bad. The neck isn't finished, but the body (Burleywood) has high gloss to it. Mine had one small flaw in the cutaway where the neck attaches. I'd have to point it out for anyone to notice. The action (slightly higher than what I'm used to) was playable right out of the box. Part of the mount for the highest string tuning peg actually sticks out over the edge of the head, but this is minor and cosmetic. The neck is thicker than my other basses and sturdy. It seems straight. The instrument is very light, maybe lighter than my Hohner B2A.

Hardware: About what you'd expect at the price point (total of $72.99 for me. 70 for the bass and 2.99 for insurance on the shipping). It's all chrome and pretty basic.

Electronics: The pots work well and don't crackle. There is a pretty good range with the tone pot. The pickup is probably the weak point of the whole thing...it takes a lot more "amp" to get the volume out of this bass than it does from my other basses (full disclosure : Hohner B2A and Gibson RD Artist...both active. The Glarry is passive). It isn't really far from the strings. I might be able to adjust it to help with this but, it's a 70 dollar bass- I didn't expect EMGs or anything. There is also some noise when you aren't touching anything. I'm assuming a grounding issue. It really isn't that bad and I might put some foil in there as shielding.

Overall: If you own an American Standard P, this bass isn't going to make you ditch it. With some pickup work, or replacement, it could serve as a backup at gigs. But you aren't going to get that Fender P sound without modding this bass. It is very light. I could probably walk around all day with it hanging off of me without a problem. If I was going to mod it, I'd start with the pickup and possibly a badass bridge or something similar. I'll say this...when I started playing (late 70s) my mom bought be a P bass copy. She paid more than three times what this bass cost, and this one is a superior instrument to mine. I would have loved to have started with this one. While Fender has little to worry about, it is pretty solid for a beginning bassist, or as a sitting at home bass to fiddle with. Probably also a good platform to mod off of.

merseymale likes this.
  14. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I should mention my credentials: I could generously be called a bedroom bassist. Even tho I started playing a long time ago, there is a three decade hiatus in there and I haven't been in a band in 34 years. I mostly play for my own amusement and consider myself pretty much a hack. So, you might take my review with a grain of salt.

merseymale likes this.
  15. Warriors Lance

Warriors Lance

Feb 18, 2019
    20 or 21 frets?

merseymale likes this.
  16. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    twentyone.

17. Warriors Lance

Warriors Lance

Feb 18, 2019
    your bass probably has all of the same issues that merseymale's bass does.

my glarry J and noname P are both 20 fret basses and my tuning machines do not go over the edge of the headstock. Go look at the pictures from merseymale and see if yours are alike

18. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    98C2EB72-BBEF-49E2-AE20-3315029D1D7F.

That’s the same with mine too!

danesdad likes this.
  19. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018

The perfect review and I couldn’t agree more -in fact it’s almost as if you’re describing my bass!

danesdad likes this.
  20. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    Ah!!
    Good point!

(If it’s 21 or more compare my photos of my yellow Glarry, earlier in this thread and see where your bridge is and how close the 12th fret lines up with the top horn on yours)