1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good 5 string bass is...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassermaniac, Aug 30, 2008.

1. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    So here it is.Hopefully soon i'm gonna get a new bass and it should be a 5 string.I'm between these babes:

1)Dingwall afterburner II
    2)Tobias killer b
    3)Pedulla Rapture RBJ 2
    4)Yamaha trb 5 pII

What do you think?which one would you prefer or any other suggestions...
    Need your help
    Thanks

2. Good bass or just a good B? Regardless, I think the Dingwall is probably one of the best you can get.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd take the Pedulla.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'd get the Dingwall.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I have owned until very recently 60 high-end basses. No other bass has a B like the Dingwall

6. F Bass would be a great addition to your list of considerations. Easily the most versatile bass that I have ever played or owned. Between the standard BN5 and the new vintage VF-5 these basses cover all the angles. Check 'em out!

http://www.fbass.com/

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.myspace.com/paultheriaultmusic

7. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Fender American Jazz 5 08!

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I just got a Pedulla Thunderbass and it's the greatest thing I've ever played. The B is very taut despite being a 34" instrument. I vote Pedulla.

9. Dingwall AB II, without a second thought. The feel is amazing. And the low B totally roars.

10. I'm very partial to my Modulus Q5, but I'd definitely take a close look at the Dingwall if I were in the market right now.

11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had an ABI for a while----the best B EVER, and the whole bass was just a class act. Recorded like a dream. The only thing you might wanna consider is something I ran in to which ultimately made me get rid of it:
    while the fanned frets were no problem--literally felt "normal" after a few minutes of playing, I play with a pick about 50% of the time, and I just couldn't get comfortable with my right hand down by the bridge. I suppose I might have adjusted given more time, but that was the only snag I had. I wish I could've afforded to keep it just for fingerstyle, but I needed an all-around fiver. Damn, I sure miss how it sounded though . . .

12. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    Agreed.

If it's a low B that you're going to use, then there is no question about getting a Dingwall. Of ocurse play/try them, but you'll hear why most say a Dingwall is the smart buy. It's designed for this. Most 5 strings' low B never sounds like the other 4, but the Dingwall low B is vibrant and matches the other 4.

13. Another honorable nod I'd give is a 35" scale Conklin with the "Snakeskin" strings. The B string is extremely consistent and still very usable up to the 15th position. Granted, not exactly a cost effective B, but KILLER.

14. Well... I'm gonna raise a hand for Yamaha :smug:

I haven't played the others but the TRB is a good all-rounder, attractive, and a great bass for it's price :)

15. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    A nice setup with some string experimentation will net you a good B on any decent bass.

16. To a certain extent. Kinda depends on how picky your ear is. You can find thicker strings, raise the action, etc, but a lot of the time you get a B string that is only useful below the 5th fret before you start developing overtones. Good construction is an important factor. Good construction and longer scale.......POWER POWER POWER!!

17. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I should've bolded the "decent" part, because I do agree somewhat. But, you'd be surprised at how many basses you can get for $500 or so that have great B strings hidden under a piss poor setup. Not trying to knock the basses mentioned, because they are surely worth every penny, but I would never make a good salesman for any of the upper tier bass makers.

18. I get what you're saing. For the most part, it works for most bassists. When ya start placing demands like total consistency and 5+ position use, it gets a little tricky.

19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    If your budget will accommodate, buy yourself a Dingwall.

20. Lakland 55-94, one of the best low B's in the business or a little more affordable the 2008 MIA Fender Jazz V. I've got the Jazz and it's low B is pretty darn solid, IMO.;)