1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question about set-up for an ATK???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Mar 18, 2009.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm about to get a 90's ATK and I remember when I was looking up ATK's that there was something about being able to string through the body for longer sustain or through the neck for more high end attack or something like that.(Correct me because I think I am wrong.) Anyway, I was wondering what is the best way to get it strung while keep it right for slapping technique? I am a versatile player and I like sustain at times and I like more high end sounds at times too. It's like I feel I get it strung one way and then will want to switch back to the other way. Until I get the feel of it, I was just wondering which way should I tell the luthier to string it or does it matter? It's like I don't want to sacrifice low end for the high attack when I need it and I don't want to sacrifice high attack for the low end when I need it but I can safely say I will probably be slapping a lot. I am talking about times when I will feel like taking a break on slapping. I hope you all can understand what I'm talking about because I don't know if I do. lol

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    String through body makes the strings tighter which will produce less flop. That should help when playing slap. You could do what some people do and have the high strings top loaded and the low strings through the body. I personally just string through body with all for better sustain and more tension on the strings. It still gets more low end then my Ibanez SR and BTB basses. Hope this helps.

3. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008

Thanks...that sounds good. Does tension on the string do anything wrong? I just think negative when I hear tension. Could you explain?

4. Tension isn't bad. When you tune up to pitch you are applying tension.

Either loading will give you the same tension if you tune the same string to the same pitch. Rumours that through-body increases tension are only part of the story; you have to wear brown shoes & white socks.

If you go through-body ENSURE your strings will be long enough; you do NOT want the step-down windings of the string to be in the nut or over the fingerboard. D'Addario has a guide for how to measure your bass & size up for their string lengths. My older ATK wanted Extra Long from them when through-body.

5. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks a lot. I am going to put some dr hi beams on them. I don't know how long they should be though. So I know there is through the body; but the other way to string is through the neck right? Correct me if I am wrong. And what type of sound do you get from that?

6. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Most dr string sets are made long enough to fit up to a 37" scale (don't know anyone who uses that) and I've never had a problem with putting them on my 35" scale bass. Since the ATK is 34" you shouldn't have to worry.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Stringing through the body does NOT "increase string tension," which is an obvious physical impossibility if the gauge, scale and played pitch remain the same (think about it).

What does increase in the case of most through-stringing v. toploading is saddle pressure.

Does this have any great significance that one could tell in a blind A/B test? Maybe, but probably not.

Through-stringing or top-loading in practice usually has to do with accommodating a string set's useful length from ball to silk/step or avoiding a tight E bend over a saddle.

8. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I tried to stringing mine through the bridge on a couple occasions. It was a pain, and the results were not worth it. I lost so much punch, and the tone turned very flabby and weak. It also played a lot worse.

9. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    I'd just go ahead and string thru the body.
    The ATK has an aggressive sound with plenty of high-end attack/snap.

I have a natural finish ATK 300, swapped out the stock ceramic pickup with an alnico Norstrand 4.3... and use EBMM Regular Slinky strings 105-50.

It's got that nice low-mid "angry" growl.

10. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Post quoted for emphasis. It's one of the most common misconceptions here on TB.

In addition, there is very little difference in the break angle over the saddles on the ATK because of the way it toploads into the same hole used for through-body stringing.

The only thing you can say about having both options is that you have more choice of strings that you can use :)

c-

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Sorry, but this info is hogwash. Stringing through the body will produce no difference in string tightness or tension. All it will accomplish is to make it more difficult to take strings off and put on your bass.

IMHO.

12. +1. It irks me when people accept such a myth at face value because some 'pro' says it's so and then continue to perpetuate it without being able to explain why.

13. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    As was so eloquently stated in a previous thread, the major difference I can tell when stringing through the body is I don't have to worry about the string ferrules falling out.

The OP kept asking about "through the neck" stringing. I'd just like to clear that up. The 2 options are stringing through the body or attaching the ball end of the strings to the bridge plate via slots designed for that. I find stringing through the body easier and have no problem with DR or D'addario strings concerning length.