Aguilar Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Means2nEnd, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Anyone using them? Anyone have some recordings with comparisons? I expected to hear a little more about them here I know they just became available but still...

2. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I have their Split P bass pickup in one of my P's and it sounds great. It's very warm on the bottom with highs that are not harsh and a very musical midrange. I am waiting for a set of their "HOT" Jazz bass pickups, but they must be making them from scratch because it is taking FOREVER. I had a Spector Coda bass with Aguilar pickups and preamp and the bass was Huge sounding.

3. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
  4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    All of Aguilar's pickups are absolutely killer; very dynamic and musical with lots of punch and bottom.

They actually ARE all made by hand from scratch ;)

Their new DCB and Super Singles pickups are shipping now, and their HOT series should be available in another month or so

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'm thinking the DCB's are going to have to go in my Roscoe SKB-3005. I'm not finding anywhere online that shows they are in stock though.

6. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Greensboro, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I can't find anyone whose heard the DCBs anywhere, even though they were supposed to be at dealers in April. Guess they've been delayed.

7. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Ditto. Though, based on Gard's (of Roscoe Guitars) description of the DCBs (over in the Roscoe thread), I believe I need to try 'um out.

8. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Greensboro, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    Got a link?

9. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I guess they are a bit delayed getting out, it's been awhile since I spoke to Justin about them ;)

DCB:

10. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Sure...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/roscoe-club-973108/index8.html#post14383597

The description given is based on common Bart offerings found in Roscoes so, if not familiar it might not provide much info.

From the thread -

Thanks for that!

11. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Lots of pickups shipping today to your favorite Aguilar dealers. DCB's in D2 and D4(up to 84mm) and G4 (EMG 40 size). Also Super Singles in D2 size.

Thanks! Dave B.

12. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Are the HOT Jazz pickups ready to ship?

13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of the MANY reasons I love being an Aguilar artist; thanks Dave! :hyper:

I was waiting on the G4 size Super Singles, but that video with Or playing the DCB loaded Spector might have convinced me to go another route ;)

14. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Awesome!

15. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Chicago
    Anybody heard feedbacks about their 4J-70? They suppose to reproduce the classic 70s single coil sound...

16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    All of their current J style pickups are the best of the market in my opinion; their string to string balance is unmatched, and their tones are exceptional.

17. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I am very tempted to swap a set of super singles into place of my Villex soap bars. I love the Villex' but would love to hear the super single on my bass.

18. For slap and treble tone (bridge pickup) I thought they both sounded great. I was less convinced with the more bassy tone, which I assume to be the neck pickup. It didn't sound modern, or defined, or p-bass-like or anything.

Just my humble view of course.

Davo

19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    ^ I had the same impression with the few I installed.

I'm curious to know what it is the "classic" '70 ('60) sound?

I've played (several owned) at least two dozens of pre CBS and '70 (and all in between) Fenders and they ALL pretty much sounded different!

Fender always been very inconsistent with their products, so I'd love to know which one is the standard that define the "vintage" fender sound (both J's and P's).

:)

M

20. Ha so true. My '64 and '76 Ps couldn't be more different.

Davo