1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Aluminum Neck Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oZZma, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Cruz Lopez

Cruz Lopez

Dec 29, 2019
    Just came across this thread. Here’s my Aztec Rust XKB-10 08C9454A-EE87-43CB-A005-8D6B71A3D4D9.jpeg

knumbskull, oZZma, cataract and 2 others like this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Yo, if anyone here’s near or in Knoxville TN, there’s gonna be a ton of aluminum necks at The Pilot Light tomorrow night— New Brutalism is playing with June of 44.
    Come check out some Obstructures in action!
    Including an obligatory post of mine for good measure. Gonna bring it along for a buddy to check out.
    B91B204C-2EFD-4E97-817F-53AF42888466.jpeg

3. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Wait....June of 44 are out playing again? And to stay on topic....your Obstructures bass is magnificent. Wish I was near TN to catch the aluminum and June of 44!

Thank you and have fun!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    cataract likes this.
  4. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    They’re doing a short run of 3 shows, I think tonight’s show is gonna be in Louisville. Apparently their practice space burned down a few days ago so they were playing through some of New Brutalism’s Obstructures gear (sadly, not the bassist though.) It’s gotta be a bummer losing all their gear like that, but they sounded amazing last night!
    Got a group shot with my bud’s 6 string before driving home:
    5CF764AC-57B9-4DBA-9A47-9E954D005067.jpeg
    EF41727F-DBFE-4CF4-8575-4DF9F10FE7E1.jpeg

5. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    That is rough....sorry to hear that about their gear....

Got an email yesterday that June of 44 are playing a show here in NYC in May...but unfortunately it's on my wife's birthday and she's more of a Radiohead/Cure fan than my musical taste which includes June of 44. Hoping they play somewhere else within driving distance that weekend.

Cool pic of the guitar and bass together! Thanks for sharing!

cataract and EdBo like this.
  6. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Is there no radius on the fretboards?

EdBo likes this.
  7. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Zero radius

EdBo likes this.
  8. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Is it just an aluminum neck thing to have no radius? it seems like every aftermarket neck is being made with 0 radius, and all of the vintage kramers I've seen also have no radius. I wonder if wood neck builders have ever tried making necks with 0 radius? Just some random thoughts. Any word if New Brutalism is set to tour the west coast?

EdBo, oZZma and cataract like this.
  9. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I don’t think it’s strictly a metal neck thing. I’ve played a few basses over the years that’ve had little to no radius, but it’s more commonly seen in the 6 string market.
    Milling a radius into an aluminum neck would yield a significant amount of waste, which would drive up the cost of materials.. easy to see why manufacturers like Travis Bean simply glued a regular wood fretboard onto their necks instead.
    As far as NB & touring, I’m pretty sure that their Knoxville show was a one off reunion deal. Maybe they’ll do another one in 5 years or so?

Evil_Druid, EdBo and oZZma like this.
  10. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Syosset, NY
    I recently put together this Bass VI. I ordered a 30" VI neck from EGC then waited until a loaded Squire VM VI body showed up on Reverb. It plays and sounds fantastic. Punchy and articulate with sustain for days. Here it is with my beloved TB-2000.

fullsizeoutput_3fa1.jpeg

11. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Very nice! Out of curiousity, did you order this neck directly from EGC or grab it from Reverb/elsewhere? I've been contemplating buying a bass neck from them to build an instrument around, but honestly I've heard that EGC can be spotty when it comes to delivering custom-ordered stuff, from a few recent stories I've heard.

Maybe the necks are a different story than the full instruments though, as they're not custom and significantly less work. Just wanted to ask before I drop $800 on a bass neck!

12. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Syosset, NY
    I ordered the neck directly from EGC. I saw on their instagram that they were making them and taking orders. I missed out on the first batch. They were already spoken for. I put a deposit down on one from the next batch. They said a few weeks but it took a couple of months. They emailed when they were done and shipped it right out after I paid the balance. I think it was $750. It fits perfectly in the Squier neck pocket.

EdBo and cataract like this.
  13. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Artsy Friday

14. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    This evening watching some TV...while I was not paying attention...

Mrs. Mc900ftj: Hey. Isn't that a Kramer?
    Me: (looking up to the TV) umm, yeah. Wait...ummm....wuh...umm...

IMG_20200203_193612.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    SVTII, cataract and arbitrary like this.
  15. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    There’s something you don’t see every day. Interesting bridge setup!

16. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Is it a bridge or a mute?

17. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    I originally thought it was a mute, but this shot shows the details...bridge and a (sort of) tailpiece. Unusual.

IMG_20200203_194228.jpg

cataract likes this.
  18. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    do you remember what band this was by chance?

cataract likes this.
  19. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Sure....I'm not that old and forgetful. It was Algiers.

cataract likes this.
  20. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    94F69C34-F1D7-4F0F-9283-2A5967762E1C.png Looks to be one of those more-than-affordable russian made basses with a Kramer neck retrofitted to it. Really interesting stuff :hyper:

Sidenote, could very well be an Eastwood RI. the bridges seem to match

SVTII, mc900ftj, oZZma and 1 other person like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021