1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I too old to get started in this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski_rush, Sep 11, 2019.

1. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Bro, it ain't ever too late in life to try something new if you think it'd make you happy. I started playing sax at 12 years old, started bass at 21... and just last week, at the ripe old age of 47 I just started playing keyboard.

Just saying ain't no reason at 43 to act like you're getting ready to cash in your chips... you got a long way to go... you might as well enjoy it! :bassist:

PWRL likes this.
  2. I played guitar and bass when I was a kid. By the time I was 23, I had stopped - family, work, etc. After 25 years at age 48, I decided to pick up bass again - it was almost like starting from scratch - I had never taken it too seriously as a kid anyhow.

Now playing for 20 years straight - regular jazz combo, occasional gigs, recording, some originals even. Pushing 70 and it keeps me going. Don't plan on stopping until it's physically impossible.

Take it seriously, learn some music theory and practice regularly; take some lessons to get you started right - then get out there and play with some other folks.

:thumbsup: Good idea:

Go for it. :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    mntngrown, Al Krow, ELG60 and 2 others like this.
  3. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    > and didn't learn more than just a few cords.
    What in the world do you mean by this? Sounds like something a guitar player or an electrician would say. ;)

Joking aside. It all boils down to, is it fun or not? If you enjoy playing bass, just do it.

Mannyinnewyork likes this.
  4. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I played bass from 15 to 23, gigged a few times, went to grad school then didn't touch it again until the age of 38, when I was finally settled in one place and one job, and didn't join a band again until my early 40s. Never too late. With your grown-up attention span and work ethic, there's no reason you couldn't learn enough in a year to play in a rock band. I agree with everybody who says not to just learn tunes by rote; modes and a metronome are your two best friends.

As Beck didn't put it, "Where it's at!/ Got seven modes and a metronoooome" ...

ELG60 and Bruiser Stone like this.
  5. I say if you woke up on the top side of the grass, you're not too old.

kre84u and Bruiser Stone like this.
  6. Never too old to start....get some lessons. Learning chords and scales are all part of it, but try to incorporating learning a song while doing the above, it will make it funner! Even better, if your close to a School of Rock, check to see if they have an adult program, they are way fun!

7. How old you are doesn't matter. You are never too "old" to learn to play a musical instrument. In fact, it will sharpen you mind to engage in the activity. As you discovered, however, what does matter is whether or not you practice on a regular basis. Period.

There are only three rules of musicianship you must follow in order to learn to play well. They are: 1) Practice. 2) Practice. 3) Practice. It's as simple as that.

For electric bass, make sure you take it easy at first to avoid repetitive stress injury. If you start to feel discomfort, don't try to "play through it". A genuine bass teacher (they aren't always that easy to find) will be of great assistance in showing you the proper way to play the instrument without injury. There are YouTube video's on this subject you can study very carefully, as well. Go for it! Good luck.

kre84u likes this.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    go for it!!!

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well, i think you missed the deadline in your area....it was 41! sorry.

:laugh:

seriously: get a teacher and get busy! good luck! :thumbsup:

00 images2b3.

bmac314 likes this.
  10. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    43!!! your still a youngster. Go for it.

kre84u likes this.
  11. DaveB in VA

DaveB in VA Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    I started to learn bass in 2011 when I was 60. For instruction, I used a video course titled "Teach Me Bass Guitar," which I highly recommend. After a couple of years I joined a local Blues Society and started to attend their monthly jams. My avatar is a picture of me from 2015 getting ready to play in my first jam. I've attended and played at almost every jam since then. Playing with other musicians has really helped me get better as a player.

kre84u likes this.
  12. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

"Get a second-hand guitar, chances are you'll go far if you get in with the right bunch of fellows." :bassist:

Nevada Pete, dave64o and Winslow like this.
  13. kre84u

kre84u

Sep 11, 2019
    NW Arkansas
    I began playing in the 70s & played with bands a lot during the 80s. I'm returning now at 65, so my short answer is: Never Too Late! Except it's hard to be as pretty as the kids after you get on in years.

When you tried learning 2 years ago, why didn't you practice enough? That might be the better question to answer.

14. Pickup Artist

Pickup Artist

Apr 17, 2018
    I'm 45 and started two years ago, never played an instrument before, but it was something I needed to do. While I still suck and am progressing very slowly, I love it and can’t picture a future with a bass in the house.

Peace and wheelies

timplog likes this.
  15. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    One of the best things I've ever heard was from a older gentleman I encountered one morning in a lobby's waiting area. As I sat down, I offered him the sociable standard, "G'morning, how ya doin'?" To my surprise, he answered me.

"Three up," he said.

"Three up?" I asked, with a feeling there was more to come.

"Yep," he replied, extending a finger from a hand as he counted them off: "I woke up. I got up. And I'm still up." ;)

I told him I was stealing that one. He smiled, and said I was welcome to it. :D

At any rate, I decided to revisit my abandoned curiosity about guitar in my mid-40s, just to have a bit of fun strumming some familiar tunes. I compromised on a baritone ukulele, because it was smaller and cheaper than a guitar, had two fewer strings, but used the same basic chords. It had another bonus in that its nylon strings wouldn't require me to develop yet another set of callouses. Once I got going, I found it was easier to pick up than I ever expected, and I had a great time with it. Eventually, I splurged on a tenor acoustic guitar (same number of strings and tuning), just for when I want to make a more "guitarish" sound. I'm no Clapton, but I've got two more instruments in the arsenal than I used to have. The key was just to start small, have fun with it, and not worry about anything other than the joy of making some music. Everything else will follow.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

timplog likes this.
  16. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Do you have 5-20 minutes a day to sit around messing with your instrument? Do you have access to the internet for online learning resources? (yes).. do you think you could squeeze in at least a couple months worth of lessons from a bass guitar instructor? (30 minutes a week?) Can you afford to replace your strings here and there, and to pay someone to set your instrument up? Or can you find the time to learn how to do so yourself?

These are more important questions you should be asking yourself, rather than "am I too old?"

17. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

You're not too old. Get wood shedding now! :)

18. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, you're not too old.
    Learn the fretboard and the patterns for major & minor scales.
    Then start networking and find some other musicians who are just starting out.
    Good Luck to you!

19. I picked up a bass at 37, but didn't start to put in effort until I turned 43. I'm 47 now and I play in a band with people half my age. Just do it!

ELG60, kre84u and IamBF like this.
  20. IamBF

IamBF

Mar 4, 2019
    Crystal Lake, IL
    YES YOU ARE WAAAAAY TOO OLD TO START PLAYING BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But tomorrow you'll be a day older and wish you had picked one up. You should buy another bass immediately and begin playing again. Believe me, I'm 47 years old and started playing bass at 45. Also, buy the best bass you can afford. It's better to pay $300 for something you like and look forward to playing versus $150 on something you'll either replace someday or loathe playing it and not keep going.