1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I too old to get started in this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski_rush, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Age is only a number. Do it. Have fun. There is no such thing as "being too old".

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    43 eh? Young fellow! No, really age doesn't matter. As long as you get joy out of doing it you'll be fine.
    Follow the advice of others and have your bass properly set up, get into it and have some fun and while you're at it enjoy the journey, there is great pleasure in learning.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  3. Eric Huber

Eric Huber

Aug 20, 2019
    Baltimore
    57 here and no not to old. As long as your fingers still work you are good. Hell saw a kid on instagram the
    other day who had no fingers and played better than me!! As long it makes sounds you like that's all that matters.

Real Soon and Coolhandjjl like this.
  4. Little Hexes

Little Hexes

Jun 30, 2019
    Back in the 80s I had a college counselor who scoffed when I said I was interested in being a professional musician. “Do you think Mick Jagger will be still performing when he’s 50?” He said. I’ve thought of that conversation many times over the years because I didn’t buy his ageism then, and I don’t buy it now. I’ve met and played music with so many people, of all experience levels, and many who’ve picked up instruments after 40. One thing they’ve had in common: an openness to playing music with other people, in regular music jams, music groups, bands, etc. Seriously, you don’t have to be a great player to have something to contribute (and lots to enjoy) playing music with others, or writing and sharing your songs with others. Age has little/nothing to do with it.

The Bass Abides and Coolhandjjl like this.
  5. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    16-year olds quit playing instruments due to lack of interest/practice at a probably MUCH higher % than older people. But no one says 16-year olds are too young to learn.

There is no question about age here, the question is what prevented you from getting the "bass bug" for real. Clearly you want to get into it. But it's not going to go anywhere if you're not drawn to it on a mostly daily basis.

My advice is to get a guitar stand, and leave the bass out on the stand at all times. You don't even need a gig bag because you don't have a gig. And to get an amplifier that can get louder than you need. Loud enough to annoy the neighbors. This is important. I'm not saying to play that loud every day, no. Practice at a reasonable volume. Just pick up the bass constantly and noodle, like Elvis in his living room, but plugged in. Elvis would have gotten way more into bass it if he plugged in. And then, on some random Saturday morning, crank that thing. Let the neighborhood know: a bass player has arrived. This will send ripples into the universe that will change and warp reality itself. The lavender pants are optional, but recommended.

[​IMG]

HughC, JoshS and Real Soon like this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I started at 50. There was a neighborhood high school kid that played bass who I took lessons from over the course of two summers. His taste was classic 70’s Rock. A perfect match!

7. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Nope...

8. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    First off - you are never too old. If a 62 year old just learned to fly a helicopter & obtained their license, then you are not too old to start thumpin' away on a bass guitar. If you are on a tight budget - I would HIGHLY suggest getting a Yamaha TRBX 174 yamaha 4 string bass - Google Search

For a specific price range - Yamaha basses consistently outscore other brands/models costing the same or even more. I've been playing since 1991 & feel that I qualify to answer your questions. Let us know if you need anything else & good luck! :)

quindecima likes this.
  9. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    Been playin bass since 16 and am telling you that there is something new to learn everyday. Playing an instrument regularly can and for me, does sharpen my mind. It's great exercise as long as you don't have too many of the age related frailties (am 57 and lucky to have no pain at all). Expand it and work on itand never compare yourself to someone else when it comes down to your playing. Embrace it.

10. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Can help you much as I’ve be in front of people playing guitar/bass since aged 11.

In answer to your question, no, you are not to old start. That said to become skillful, you need to commit to hours of practice. Sometime as we age, a lot of life tends to get in the way.

11. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I used to play in high school, then stopped. I didn't take up bass again until I was in my 40's. You are not too old.

12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Oh God I wish I was 43 again!:woot:

13. jpaulo

jpaulo

Aug 18, 2018
    Started this year, at 48 - not really played anything before.

Midlife crisis? Trying to recover time lost?

Whatever... I joined a local School of Rock and although I suck - a lot - I am having a lot of fun playing with the band and learning about my new toys.

14. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    43????? Big deal. I'm 61 years on this planet. You are NEVER too old to explore new horizons. Do not restrict your abilities to grow because of social preconceptions. Get out there and just do it! You will be amazed at what you will learn.

Regarding basses you referenced, try them all. You will find the instrument that fits your style and building skills. Just have fun!

15. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    I've been playing for about 4 years, I'm playing guns and Roses and going to start the Bach suites I just turned 79. Get with the program!

Real Soon and BOOG like this.
  16. Good lord, man, at 43 you’re still a kid compared to many of us on TB! I’ll be 69 next month and I’m trying things all the time that have been outside my experience. And I’m doing it in front of strangers, too! The only barricades are the ones you erect yourself. Check out the Vic Wooten quotation in my sig.

17. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    All great positive advice. ... Sure, go for it. ... Desire is the biggest hurdle. ... After that it's practice. ... I just got my 1940's Olds Trumpet over hauled for the second time because I'm a sucker for punishment. ... I'll never be any good but I enjoy the challenge. ... Go for it!

18. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I'm 40 now and I'm willing to start learning the upright!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Real Soon and quindecima like this.
  19. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    Heck, I'm 79 and looking to buy a Shen Hybrid 3/4, oops just opened another brewski

20. Oh, yeah, I still have the student clarinet my folks got me in the early sixties and I pick it up now and again, though I haven’t the wind to do too much with it. Billy Novick and Guy Van Duser are my inspiration to keep at it.