Amazing Birdseye Neck - or EBay junk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 26, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm a birdseye maple junkie. Finding nothing with heavily figured birdseye maple in my bass collection, I recently ordered the neck below from Warmoth. They described it as "high-grade birdseye" which I've found to be somewhat open to interpretation - but this one does really look pretty nice. I should have it on Wednesday. Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I'm looking at EBay and see this monstrosity:

4A Roasted BirdsEye P Bass Neck, Nitro Finish, Mycarta | eBay

It's definitely $100 or so less expensive than what I paid for my Warmoth neck. And MUCH more heavily figured. But - the neck itself is a giant question mark. It could be garbage. I don't really want to do business with anyone who calls his company "D*ckhead Designs." Anyone bought from this guy before? I've seen his other stuff on EBay. He builds oddball basses. Usually they're too expensive. This neck does LOOK nice but it could be junk.

I'm not going to buy it. Just wanted some thoughts...

2. I've always heard that too much birdseye actually hurts the structural integrity of the neck. And that second one looks like way to much to me.

3. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Looks like it would be fine. But for your extra $100 you're getting the confidence that the company has a solid reputation (so has made quality products in the past) and will back up your purchase should anything go wrong. In my professional life, we call that "branding." It has a tangible worth and in this case its seems to be $100.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Nitrocellulose over oil? :eek:

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Birdseye can indeed be a problem in terms of warping and twisting, but mostly when there's just some of it in an otherwise clear neck. I've seen a lot of that with old necks. I've seen some nasty cases with vintage Fenders, for example.

Straight, clear grain is a safer bet as it's a more consistent material.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    looks beautiful here but, what you don't know....

What if you bought this neck and throw it on your p- j body, whaterver, get it strung up only to find out you have a big dead spot on the neck?

If you bought it new from warmoth, back it goes, if you buy from a guy on ebay, now you have to fight with him or resell to somebody else. There is no way to know what you are buying.

Just sayin...

8. He put the tuners on backwards!:confused::eyebrow:
    That bass looks like a piece of crap!

I definitely would not trust a neck from this guy. The fact that he calls himself "Dickhead Designs" does not help, either.:rollno:

9. It's too dark looking, and honestly I think that makes it appear it has more birdseye.

I like the first one, and Warmoth is a great company.

10. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! In Memoriam

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hahahahahah

I just noticed the tuners were backwards in that orange quilt bass...... wow..amazing

12. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    They're not on backwards, they're a left set on a right hand neck. :rollno:

13. But the tuners are reversible, aren't they?

14. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I should offer him $8 for that birdseye neck.

15. D*ckhead Designs is the same seller that posted this short-scale Jag a week or so ago. Different account, but if you read the item specifics, you'll see it says "Fender/DhD Custom Shop" under the brand. Made by AJ in Anaheim. Same dude. Or dudette.

He's got some negative feedback, too, under his DhD account. 4 negatives and 3 neutrals over the last year. The real winner is how he responded to some of them, though...

Needless to say, anyone who handles customer complaints like that should be avoided. The more you know...

16. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    Its gotta be good if its coming from disneyland.

17. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    The company name + Disneyland loc + his (her?) brilliant customer service = a pretty clear no-go :)

18. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    The pickup routes are equally interesting. Given the attention to detail exhibited in the bass... I would not even consider the neck.

I had a beautiful birdseye maple Warmoth neck that played fantastic. I look forward to owning another Warmoth neck.

Anyways... try repeating this phrase out loud: "I have a Roasted Dickhead neck on my bass":meh:

19. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hah!!!

20. Wow, what the hell did he do with those pickup routes?
    The knobs on the control plate seem unevenly spaced, as well.

Does he sell the "Design by Dickhead" neckplates, to go with the roasted neck?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021