Amazing Birdseye Neck - or EBay junk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 26, 2011.

1. AJinAnaheim

AJinAnaheim

Aug 23, 2010
    One Block North of Disneyland
    Manufacturer - Dickhead Designs
    he has 3 stores check dhdesigns2010

2. AJinAnaheim

AJinAnaheim

Aug 23, 2010
    Also check out that rocket scientist who came up with "he's back using another name" AJinAnaheim lolol wow there is a guy on this forum that uses that handle. Speaking of forums and the reason I thought they were created was to encourage fellow members not put them down. If someone comes to you for advise or assistance render it. Good fellowship provides a much healthier atmosphere than all this snipping back and forth.
    AJ Out

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I don't get it, in the pics are atrocious looking finishes on every bass, can you say orange peel? One has left tuners on a right head. That quilted orange one has atrocious pickup routes, p'ups attached with some huge screws that don't even approach a proper pickup screws. And positive FB? Oh I get it most of that is for parts and stuff, the finished instruments must be in the hands of those who don't know better.

Checkout the routes here: Custom 5 String Bass Fender 4 plus 1 Neck, Gotoh Tuners | eBay

Tuners on wrong sides here: Custom Exotic Wood 34 Scale 4 String Bass w/Hardshell C | eBay

More wonderful routes and dig the "stylized" bass clef: Solid Mahogany 5 String Bass Chambered w/Dual Cavieties | eBay

2011 NAMM release with crooked neck p'up:Dickhead Designs Signature Bass NAMM Release 2011 | eBay

Grossly crooked tuner installation: Exotic Wood & Nitro Rootbeer Sparkle PJ Bass Guitar | eBay

I could go on, but i just threw up in my mouth. What's in a name? Apparently everything, Mr. Dickhead.

EDIT: Sorry I thought your name was Dickhead, it's Dickhead designs. No offence.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

My advice to anyone who asks is to run away from your product. At least at those prices. And you say that a bunch of basses were built by young adults, none of your listings seem to mention that. Glaring oversight in information to the consumer.

5. AJinAnaheim

AJinAnaheim

Aug 23, 2010
    In all fairness to the kids and the organizations that help support the many programs to bring music back into the schools and offer something other than sports we can not mention the kids or their problems in any of the listings. We do upon check out thank the individual and let them know how they helped and I'm afraid that's as far as we can go. Each buyer has a 3 day return policy and I think each of you know that it doesn't take 3 days to make up your mind if you like something or not. Now to address some of your comments. The LH tuners were to move the tuner closer to the player because she has shorter arms. I fail to see the problem mentioned on the bass that I did build so please point that one out on the Dickenbacker. No each of these may not be a production quality instrument and they get to choose what they build but they are all functional and usable. I guess also I don't see any prices that are out of line. We offer these materials at the same cost as we do when we sell them outright. We are lucky to break even on most and that's OK it's not a money issue. Most have a best offer option and those get used a lot and with the associated fees really none are over priced.

6. AJinAnaheim

AJinAnaheim

Aug 23, 2010
    Beauty I guess lies with the one who foots the bill. Many seasoned pros have my instruments I have always tried to keep a price point of 6 to 999 as I know the economic situation of most musicians. Most of my builds are custom orders that never see ebay. We make exotic wood necks that are featured on my stuff and countless individuals and a couple manufacturers. Ebay allows us to showcase a few cutting edge ideas like a bass with 586 different tones all passive or guitar with 1215 again a passive system. These are not common knowledge but they are available.

7. that-guy

that-guy

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne
    Oh hi there ghostdog, didn't see you there. And you brought some friends and popcorn, too.
    Ok then, carry on. :bag:
    T_G

8. As already pointed out, a lot of the positive feedback he has received has been from the sale of parts, and many of them are small ticket items bought by repeat customers. Sure, he's got good feedback, but to imply (or infer) that it's all from the sale of his custom guitars would be incorrect. Yes, people have nice things to say about him shipping out trim rings and knobs and pickup screws and pickguards. On the other hand, a majority of his negative feedback is about his custom guitars. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

I think it's safe to say that most of the flack he's getting here comes from the obvious lack of quality in some of the custom guitars and other products he's offering. TBers can be a hard group of folks to impress, but there are items for sale that are just painfully amateurish in execution. 96Tbird listed some of them, but all you have to do is take a look at his eBay store and see for yourself. Of course, AJ says that some of these questionable eBay goods are made by some children...who cannot be identified. On the other hand, his own awesome custom creations stay off eBay and go straight to industry pros...who cannot be identified. Hey, he might be telling the truth, but the situation smells a little fishy to me.

I do know that we have a number of competent builders and luthiers who are members of the forums. They represent themselves and their products in a clear and professional manner, and they are an active part of the TB community. In contrast, we have AJ from DHD, who has done nothing but use these boards as a soapbox to defend some pretty shoddy looking products and questionable customer service. Does that make him a bad person? Not necessarily. Does it make me want to do business with him? Not at all.

9. billdylan

billdylan

Apr 28, 2009
    Hi There...just stumbled on this thread...Something of the quality of the instruments and tone of the guys replies to comments takes me back to a weird builder who was all over bass threads a few years ago. I think his name was eric devries or something close to that...Deja Vu ?

10. that-guy

that-guy

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne
    Ah yes, good old Shamalama ding dong. Deja vu indeed. Wonder if that dude's still around? Just re-read some old threads, what a laugh.
    T_G

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

So if this money goes to charity, it's a donation and should come along with a receipt from said charity for tax purposes. Other charities, celebrities sell stuff on eBay and say it's for charity. You say nothing of the sort in your listings. You just come in here yesterday, sign up and start slinging "the truth", I just don't know, NEXT!

12. Howzit

Howzit

Aug 23, 2011
    Pella, IA
    I'd expect at least a mention about the program and the expectations of the build.

Yeah, it's quite easy to build up positive feedback if most of it is done by buying. Also selling stock items has little risk. However, something like a guitar should have full disclosure. The 3 day return is too little too late and will only leave a bad taste. The OP imay be involved in something charitable and worthy but he needs to be upfront about it in his description.

13. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    According to your previous statement, no one actually knows if GDog owns anything of yours or not....

14. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Are you saying you have access to Wamoth's CNC programs, and you know which CNC machines they use?

15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Good afternoon to you sir!

To be fair, I wasn´t actually making a comment regarding the instruments you sell, as I think I am the last person to comment on the quality of an instrument that I don´t even play well!! I was actually commenting on the fact that you argue with "possible" clients about how they are talking ****, and you are right. In my personal experience, I have never found that telling my customers how much of a dickhead they are actually helps me do business...but each to their own.

However... seeing that you actually mention a person who I know of (I happen to know the sound guys that worked with 6m2 on some videos) I am rather interested in what instrument he plays that is yours?

Or am I thinking of the wrong Thomas Warburton that plays Jazz in Barcelona?

16. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Failbass1.gif

Seriously? You are using what appears to be a left handed neck plate for a bass with a contoured heel, on a bass without a contoured heel. The neck plate does not cover two of the neck bolts and is at a different angle to the actual neck.

The neck, pickup and bridge are all on different alignments... nothing is going right here:

Failbass2.gif

$595 is a lot of money for a Squier Bronco with a no-name humbucker and mystery neck, none of which are aligned correctly....

17. AJinAnaheim

AJinAnaheim

Aug 23, 2010
    To be fair I said most which is the case and ultimately I am responcible for everything that leaves the ebay store too. That's why we have the no questions asked 3 day return policy. These aren't children in the sense of 7, 8 10 these are teenagers with disabilities or low income or in some cases terminally ill and they give 110 percent everytime. As far as my basses read the feedback specifically addressing them would be my suggestion. There are over a 100 out there being played it really can't be as bad as some of you indicate.

18. AJinAnaheim

AJinAnaheim

Aug 23, 2010
    It must be the angle of the photo that you percieve as being a problem. The strings past over the middle of the slugs for the two inside strings and the outside string pass over the inner part of the slugs as the pup is a bit wider than the bridge I selected. I have four or five of these in the hands of accomplished players who just love them. Check out what they have to say in the feedback section. The neck plate are custom made to my specs and are not left handed again it must be the photo. As much as i would like to participate in these discussions I have 3 companies to run so please excuse me.

19. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    It is honourable that you are providing this opportunity for these people. However, a company local to my hometown employs disabled, terminally ill and recuperating adults to do all manner of things, including weaving mailbags, which is quite a precise job. What I'm saying is, for this to remain a valid opportunity for these people the basses should not be leaving in such a rookie state of build quality, as it just looks like primitive slave labour under the guise of 'these guys are disabled and try very hard, so suck it up', which is bad.

20. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Lets see concrete proof that 100% of proceeds (or any portion) less costs goes to charity. Anything less is a fraudulent statement, albeit on a forum that is not part of the sales pitch, but fraudulent none the less.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021