Amazing Birdseye Neck - or EBay junk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 26, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Some of his other stuff is really..... just off. It looks normal at first glance but if you look closer, it's not quite right.

2. Definitely. These look like high school wood shop builds from a failing student.:hyper:

*** is this?
    Solid Mahogany 5 String Bass Chambered w/Dual Cavieties | eBay
    Did he just randomly dig out that neckplate from his parts drawer and use it for a VERY unsuiting neck pocket?
    It also looks like he used drywall screws for the bridge.
    And what's up with that ridiculous string spacing!?

3. Some of this stuff is painful to look at. Especially the pickup placement.

4. Gluing a bolt on neck into a neck pocket does not make a set neck, it makes a worthless piece of crap with both all of the disadvantages of a bolt on, and none of the advantages.:eyebrow:

And *** is up with these unused control cavities on the tummy cut side of the body?:confused:

New Custom Spalted Maple Set Neck Jazz Bass Under 8 lbs | eBay

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    How this guy has any positive feedback is beyond me.

6. No brainer.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  8. Sadly, this is not the first time I have seen someone defile a Wenge neck.:(
    A while back, there was a dude who did a thick, uneven poly finish over a Wenge neck, and painted the headstock, then did a horrible Fender logo with what looked like whiteout.
    IIRC, he also did a very uneven white "binding" around the black of the sunburst on the body it was mounted on.
    I thought that thing was horrible, but putting black nailpolish under the poly takes it to a whole new level. This is just disgusting!

Wenge necks feel and look great, and are stable exactly as they are! Putting any sort of hard finish on them not only looks like ****, but takes away from the raw feel, and offers no protection against warping or getting dirty.

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    What about a tung oil finish on wenge? I've always wondered about that. Never played a raw wenge neck - I love Warmoth products but never quite got used to the idea of their raw necks. I have sweaty/clammy hands though, so I'd be worried I'd ruin the wood...

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Warmouth=reliable product from company with good reputation for more then 35 yrs. This seller: selling no name neck. Warmouth wins!! Lol.

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I know. I loooooove Warmoth stuff. Their showcase and body/neck builders are so freakin' addictive. I've got the birdsey Warmoth neck as well as a mahogany Dinky J body with amazing pau ferro top on the way...

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Are there any greater sustain or tonal advantages to such extensive birds-eye wood? They look good but, do they sound or vibrate any better?

13. If there is a noticeable difference, and that is debatable, necks with more figuring will not resonate as freely as plain, straight-grained wood. As beautiful as figuring in wood is, it's actually the crap part of the wood.

14. Rafael

Rafael

Feb 4, 2008
    Seattle
    I'll take the last first:

though the figuring may be the "crap" part of the wood, I have a bass that is 100% figured birds eye maple, and it is the best sounding bass I've ever played.

And to the OP: You did figure out that the neck you bought was not finished and therefore the figuring would appear much less pronounced than the ebay neck you mention, which is finished? The finish makes 1000% difference on the appearance of the figuring on ANY wood.

15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yes, I know. I had it finished in clear gloss. I considered vintage tint for a while but then opted against it in favor of regular clear gloss. I'm excited to see what it looks like on Wednesday when it arrives.

16. Rafael

Rafael

Feb 4, 2008
    Seattle
    Cool...post pics! And BTW I notice someone mentioned figured wood resonance, and honestly, as a solid body bass player, I would think what I want is NO resonance, so the body doesn't emphasize/de-emphasize any particular frequency....isn't that the issue with dead spots on the neck? FWIW my bass with the most consistent sound and longest sustain is my solid birds eye maple [highly figured] bass and all my basses with clear, straight grain can't hold a candle to it....

17. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I got the Warmoth birdseye neck the other day, but it's at my guitar player's house where it will eventually be put together. The figuring is awesome - and the finish is flawless. I'm really glad I went with regular clear gloss - it's very smooth and glassy, looks like the neck was dipped in crystal. The figuring is the best I've ever seen on a Warmoth neck - ALMOST as good as the Peavey Millennium+ basses I owned (those had truly ridiculous figuring that I've never seen elsewhere.) Once I get it all put together, pictures will be posted. I'm pretty slow at finishing projects though :meh:

18. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    It's going to look something like this. I got this neck years ago, before all the optional steps were in place. There was no way to specify the Grade back then so I just ordered an all bird'seye neck and said please pick one that's nicely figured - it's a Christmas present from my wife. This was what I got. It's finished in clear gloss.

My experience with the figuring having any effect: I've had this neck for many years and have never needed to adjust it after it settled in. I have an '80 Mockingbird that is made entirely from bird'seye and it plays wonderfully. My 2 cents = it's all about the specific piece of wood. I have had nothing but excellent results with figured maples.

Attached Files:

19. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021