1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp and cab advice for stoner/doom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yannn, Apr 27, 2010.

1. yannn

yannn

Feb 4, 2010
    I finally managed to get a decent amount of money and I'm now looking for a good rig for my stoner/doom band.
    I recently played through an old SVT and I really love the tone. Is a vintage SVT worth the money or wouod one of the newer SVTs give me the same tone for less bucks?
    I'm really not sure about the cab though. Many bassist in the stoner/doom scene play through a 810 ampeg, but I've heard many who claim the ampeg cab doesn't give a punchy and clear low b or c.
    It would be great if you could recommend some cabs which can handle low fuzzy sound.

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    If you can find one I suggest trying an old acoustic 370 and throwing a stomp box to fit your needs... or one of their heads with built in fuzz which are great... I had 150b with built in fuzz for a while, although its rated for low watts, it can get very loud. I ran them through a mesa powerhouse 1000 and that cab handles the low notes very well...

3. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    a new VR is worth the money. id either go VR or get a nice working 70s ampeg SVT.

and multiple cabs are key with the doom thing. gotta keep your cab cred up! lol

4. Sunn 1200s
    The bassist from bongripper uses one, and I do as well

Savage Hippie likes this.
  5. i recently saw karma to burn, the bassist used an ampeg 8x10 with an acoustic head (not sure which) and his tone is pure distorted, guitarish, doomy stuff and it cut through like a hot knife through butter. sounded great.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's based on the mistaken theory that frequency response on the low end is all-important to having a good B or C sound. in fact, we hear the lowest notes way more from the second harmonic than the fundamental (and there are plenty of frequency charts posted on here to prove it). plus, most of the time the soundman will cut frequencies below 60hz at the very least to make room for the bass drum. some do love that big low end response, and that's a different story. but it's not necessary to have it to have a good strong sound with a low-tuned bass. i used to do it all the time when i used a 5 with my svt, and nobody ever complained.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Dude, not doom.

Doom:

DSCF0099.

Terrasolis.

Yeah, ampeg 8x10s don't like detuning much, but you get a good roar, that totally vanishes under doom guitars. You can just add to the low mid/midbass density, or carve out your own space below them with big cabs (in addition to the 8x10). The Aguilar GS412 has been the ultimate room rattling sub monster I've used so far, but having a go at knocking up some Fearfuls possibly. Whats going to deal with the upper end with the drive is up for debate, might go for big old matamp guitar cab with Vintage 30s in it, and a hi-pass, cause its loads handier than an 8x10.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    welp, that's some doom! hey, you know what would be cool? if there was a type of doo wop/doom hybrid. like take the 4 part harmony groups and have them sing to doom music.

looks like i just invented me a project!

9. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
  10. zarigunn

zarigunn

Sep 14, 2009
    Belgium
    I want to use my carlsbro together with a 412
    for the low end, and than use a ampeg v-4b together with my 2x15 kustom IV cabinet.