1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP FOR THE REAL BASS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cristian MM93, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hi! I just love the pure sound of my stingray! but when I plug in my amp, there goes the tone of my soul! I want to take my sound to the stage and am looking for an amp that will not alter the original tone of my bass. can anyone help me? suggestions? Videos! Thanx.

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    What do you play through now?

Most amps have a voice and character to their own. Tube amps generally tend to color the sound alot. Solid State amps tend to be cleaner than their tube counterparts. Also take into consideration that some speakers color the sound as well. The cleanest setup I've tried is a GK 1001rb II into a gk neo 212. Not exactly cheap, but getting clean transparent tone isn't. There are probably better amps out there to do this... but I haven't had the chance to own them.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Walk over to the PA department and try some gear there.
    FOH is as clean and transparent as it can be.

4. I'm gign' with hartke ha-3500 head and xl cabs

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, its more like ALL amps do.

i actually disagree with that. if you look at the frequency response of most tube amps set flat, they are pretty even from 20hz-20khz. they 'color' the sound when you push them into distortion. and IME, SS amps don't do the distortion thing when pushed very well.

again, IMO, ALL cabs have their own 'color' or voice.

i also own a GK 1001RBII and, while i think that its a great sounding and very versatile amp, i wouldn't call it 'transparent'.

6. Thats the tone that i'm tryin' to take to the stages !!!!

7. In order to find an amp that will not alter the original tone of your bass, you first have to have a sense of what the original tone of your bass is. And how do you do that? Assuming it's an electric bass with magnetic pickup(s), you need it to be amplified. It's a catch-22!

8. Get a really good active DI or mic pre/di that outputs line level. Active basses can get almost to line level but the stingray does not. Run the Pre/DI to a power amp. Here you can use a tube or solidstate power amp. Solidstate will be cheaper and lighter, but a Mesa strategy 400 will get you very loud and thick without mudding out at all.

For cabs I would either check out the fearful designs everyone likes or maybe the bagend cabs. They make some really nice cabs that mix fullrange coaxial drivers with woofers. They also make one called the AF1 which I think was designed for hte air force band. Its a seriously full range cab with an 18, for lows, a mid woofer, mid and tweeter. They were designed to be used for bass, keys or pa.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Accurate headphones are easy to find.

PC with a simple audio interface can measure input signal versus output signal.

10. I want the same sound when playing with only one amp or the headphones when you plug the bass straight into a sound card.
    That's whath i'm talking about!

11. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    The Markbass Little Mark II has a very transparent tone to it, and is known for that quality. When I play through it into the Epifani, the tone is almost the same as when I plug the bass straight into my mini mixing board and listen through headphones.

12. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    I see what you did there.

13. I Forget

I Forget

Apr 16, 2010
    How about an avalon U5 and a power amp? You won't get much more transparent than that.

14. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Mic the bass itself.

15. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    | Thats My Baby And She gets Any sound i want Colored, Uncolored Or Other wise!!
    |
    |
    |
    V

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    It sounds like you want a clean amp ... try Eden.

Or try a MXR bass di+ into the PA.

17. Ah but different sound cards will sound different from one another; they have built-in amps for amplifying the signal for the headphones. Very weak amplifiers (because headphones are very small speakers), but they all have an inherent tone to them. And different headphones will sound different from one another too. Think of the sound card as an amp head and the headphones as speaker cabinets, just on a very small scale...

18. I always thought that Glockenlang was really clean and transparent.

19. a big plus for the LM II

20. Yeah Avalon's DI is great, but it has inherent EQ curves soooo.
    The Radial ones are good as well, but most (maybe all) Radials will only get you to mic level, not line. You need a clean with gain box. I know there are a few DI's out there that do the jump from instr level to line in one hop with tons of headroom and no EQ. With a Stingray you gots plenty of EQ anyway! I use mine constantly!
    Power amps, there are tons out there. I myself would want tube power. Good tube power is very clean. But solid state is light, cheap and decent. QSC, Crown and Crest are good. Behringer, Peavey, Soundtech, etc are not so great.
    Also ifyou really want to get tehfull tone of your bass its all about headroom and preserving those transient details. I have heard very few mainstream bass heads that do that. Including many of the ones already mentioned. Theyall round off the edges of the transients assuming you want that "warmer" sound. That is likely a lot of what you hear in headphones that does not translate to amps.