1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Serial Number Date Code

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 5, 2002.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The CTS's are the standard by which all are judged. Got no idea about sensitivity and freq response but they're probably in the same ballpark. Tone, OTOH...the CTS's edge out all but the Heritage 810e speakers IMHO.

2. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    r t
    are those the latest ones (heritage) that eminence probably makes too for the newest/(best I rekon) 810e fridge?

3. Bob Zombie

Bob Zombie

Nov 30, 2015
    I recently purchased an SVT810E and it has this SN: 0026760AKDI0021 ? I'm wondering why it has 15 digits ...
    ------- It also has a tag just above with the numbers 0026759 - If I disregard the first 5 digits then I have 60AKDI0021 // that would make it a '91 Cab but then the "K" for country code doesn't match. I'm confused but I know you guys will set me straight. Thx :)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Never saw this before today...yes, Eminence makes the Heritage 810e speakers.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You bought an old one? What company made it?

6. Bob Zombie

Bob Zombie

Nov 30, 2015
    Designed in St. Louis, MO / Manufactured in China / LOUD Technologies - The back plate looks brand new but the cab is a little beat up visually. It sounds great !!!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, well then you can't go by the old info about the date code that started in 1988. They restarted the cycle in 2008, but the date digit moves around a little depending on the product, and the other digits don't apply like they did when SLM owned them. However, D is the most likely year digit, so it would be 2011. And yes, the Chinese 810e's sound better than the previous generation of 810e's, and they're also built better, as SLM used OSB instead of real wood till 2006, the year they sold to LOUD.

8. Mytah

Mytah

Dec 7, 2015
    Pensacola, FL.
    I would be most appreciative if one could give me a date for the cab (SVT 810) I have had for many years
    I have read the code system posted above, but cant seem to decipher it.
    I have not pulled any speakers, but I can if I had to.

Sorry the pic is so huge. and thank you.

CiYvrEO.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    There is no way to tell the age of that cab except pulling a speaker and using its date code to guesstimate.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Huge pics aren't a problem. As Jimmy said, check a speaker for a manufacturer and date code to refine the date. It might be possible to provide a ballpark estimate if you provided a full front and back shot. Does it have a towel bar? Is it a flat back with a dolly.

11. Mytah

Mytah

Dec 7, 2015
    Pensacola, FL.
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    Here is a pic of the speaker. I do not see a manufacturer.
    And yes it is a flat back with a dolly. I can post pics of the entire cab if the speaker codes don't clue us in.

xKPd0B2.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    137 CTS
    Sixth week of the year.

Those cabs are very nice.

Mytah likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    6th week of 1972, making this very firmly a 72 cab.

Mytah likes this.
  14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    We seem to have a majority.

Mytah likes this.
  15. Bob Zombie

Bob Zombie

Nov 30, 2015
    Ampeg Cab  (6)b.

I found this pesky little stamp next to the serial number. Hello ... Print was so tiny I had to take a picture to zoom in on it.
    I bought the SVTCL amp and cab separately/used from both ends of the country and they both turn out to be 2007. ;)

JimmyM likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008

It could be a bit later, the copyright is when they registered the product.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I got supplied a 2007 SVT-VR at my gig Friday night. Didn't even look for that stamp. Might run across it again on tomorrow night's gig and I'll see if I can find it.

18. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    How did the VR work out?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    VR was great, but the cab was a resto from the 70's covered in Duratex or something like it that I think had replacement speakers, and it was good but not great. Sounds a lot like recordings of the Legend B810 loaded cabs I've heard. Might get the guy to pull the grill so I can check it out if he's doing the gig tomorrow. It's in a nearby city so he might. Here's a blurry pic...the bass in the middle isn't mine...it's a rental MIM Precision they had as a spare:

Rig12-11-2015_zps8jycl6nn.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I like the look of the black pichgaurd on your bass better.

JimmyM likes this.