1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Serial Number Date Code

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 5, 2002.

1. bassooka

bassooka

Feb 24, 2007
    Belgium
    Thank you very much anyway for your reply. The first picture gives me the impression it's post "Dark Era".
    The second picture on the other hand, well... I cannot tell if it is the "Dark Era" wood that's mentioned in many threads.
    $_86.

$_86.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It is most definitely post dark era with actual plywood Construction. The serial number indicates that it was made by Loud somewhere between 2008 and now. I hope when Yamaha takes over Ampeg Manufacturing that they make dating by serial numbers easier... LOL

bassooka and kpc like this.
  3. bassooka

bassooka

Feb 24, 2007
    Belgium
    Thank You very much!! I hope so too. I like my Yamaha (basses) a lot, especially the BB NE-2.

4. Bruce

Bruce

Aug 12, 2004
    south carolina
    Hello to you all.

I am again playing my Ampeg 810e cabinet.
    Heavy, but man, it sounds soooooo goooooood!

I see there is a serial number on it, and I sort of know when it was made, but still some digits have question to me.

Here it is - I 8 1 E F B 0 0 2 1

I see this as a 1993, but country? Sure it is USA, however.

Any input appreciated, and thank you, Bruce

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The cabs don't really need a country code, do they? And yes, 1993.

6. Bruce

Bruce

Aug 12, 2004
    south carolina
    Thank you JimmyM. I was hoping that you might chime in on this one.

When I saw this- and my Digit 4 being an "E", I got a bit XXXX.
    Digit 4 = Country Code where:
    U = U.K.
    D = domestic U.S.
    W = worldwide
    Y = Europe

JimmyM, the important thing is that I now know the year made and that is USA built.

JimmyM likes this.
  7. Bruce

Bruce

Aug 12, 2004
    south carolina
    A little history on my Ampeg 810e cabinet is that I bought from the xgirlfriend of a bass player. He abandoned her, but left this 810e behind. After three years she decided to sell it.
    I made a two hour drive to look at it, as she wanted $300 for it.
    It was covered with green outdoor carpet and had a chicken wire grill- YUCK!
    I took a 12 volt car jumper box and a short phone plug cable to "tickle" the cabinet and found that the two top 10" speakers had locked up voice coils/cones.
    I offered her $250 as is and she accepted it, so the beast was mine.
    When I got it home I removed the two top speakers and found that on both of them the magnet structure had become partially pulled/broken off. Guessing this was because this cabinet had sustained a fall over onto its back, and inertia had partially pulled off the magnets, locking the voice coils.
    Well, I replaced the two top 10's with new, exact model 32 ohm speakers, and all is good.
    Interesting was that I was able to dissect the two damaged speakers, and viewed their voice coils. I was very pleased to see there was absolutely no signs of "heat" or discoloring. That gave me faith that the other 6 speakers should be healthy. A DC resistance test also verified this.
    Love the sound and headroom that an 810e gives. Yeah, its heavy, but looks and sounds serious. Bye for now, Bruce

JimmyM likes this.