1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro arriving tomorrow !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ncognito, Jan 7, 2010.

1. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Still waiting on warranty repair

2. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Dean Markley
    Sorry to hear that. It seemed so promising, but the problems are still there, I guess. I chimed in after reading the entire thread and wanted to really like this amp.

3. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I still like mine. I was going to sell it, but I put it back in the rack, it's tough to let go of.

I wanted to sell it partially because I want more options than just Ampeg tone. But it does Ampeg so well I maybe stuck with it !

4. Thumpking

Thumpking

Sep 14, 2010
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt7pro/

Congrats! I have had about 5 Ampeg heads and loved them all.

5. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Dean Markley
    I guess I need to go test one out. I'm also interested in the Fender TB-600... so if any of you Ampeg 7-Pro users have ever compared the two, I'm all ears for your comments!

6. Are any of you guys carrying the SVT 7 in a gig bag? If so what ones are you using? I'm interested in picking up this amp and like the idea of a light carry over my shoulder.

7. I've had my SVT-7 for a little over a year now (got it right when it came out) and so far no issues, actually its been so good I've been unable to pull myself away and post on this thread :smug:. I upgraded from a 350x because I needed more juice and I havent looked back since.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    good to hear the good reviews since one of the new portaflex heads is based on the svt 7 pro and it's in a little more manageable wattage. doesn't have tubes but the way the micro vr sounds, i'm not finding them all that necessary in these types of amps. would be nice, but they sound pretty doggone tubey without them.

9. cbroussard

cbroussard

Jan 31, 2010
    Lafayette, LA.
    I also bought my SVT-7 when they first came out a little over a year ago and have gigged regularly with it.. so far so good.. :bassist:

10. citynorth

citynorth

Nov 19, 2010
    Chicago
    my dead svt 7 pro serial number ends in 0045 and revision number is A01, if the person that asked is still looking at this.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, the latest revision version is "C."

12. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    mine has at least 100 hours on it plus the ne gtg. it seems to be going strong. cross my fingers.

13. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    Jeez guys, I'm really torn here. The features and Ampeg tone are drawing me to this amp, and the glowing reviews in the beginning of the thread are helping the GAS I have going on. I had an SVT Pro 6 that I LOVED but sold it on evilbay due to the weight. I still regret that a little bit. I wanted to try something lighter, in a combo. I got a BA600 115 and swore I'd never buy another Ampeg when it fried after 32 days of light duty use at weekly band practice, 2 days after the MF return policy. I bitched at them enough and they took it back anyway and I bought a GK MB500 (before they came out with the one with a tube preamp).

The GK sounds great with my MusicMan, but it's really hi-fi and better suited to a funky power trio. I need something more classic for my current band, with 2 gui****s running Les Pauls into Marshall stacks, keyboards, drums and 6 piece vocals running through the PA, there isn't much bandwidth for little old me. I switched to an old Ibanez I hotrodded with EMG's and that helped, but I'm finding myself craving that Ampeg tone again. Got a Warwick Thumb too, which I think would pair nicely with the Ampeg.

Then I see the reviews reporting fiery explosions and erratic shut downs. That scares the crap out of me. Then there's a few who have been running them for a year with no issues. I guess I don't have a question, or even much of a point, I'm just lamenting. I don't want to spend all that loot and be let down again. I really don't want to buy a rack and tuner and power conditioner to go along with it, and wind up returning the thing. The only safe thing to do is not buy it, and the only way to know for sure is to go ahead and take the plunge. I just don't know what to do. Here it is, December of 2011. Maybe they've ironed out the kinks? I just don't have the confidence I did before the BA600 incident. Those things are notoriously bad. I dunno...

:confused:

14. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    I'm in a bit of a same situation although I'm looking at a 3 year warranty so at least it will be fixed a time and a time again if something decides to go awry. I'm scared a bit but I just hope the amount of silent, non-complaining SVT-7 owners is higher than the ones who feel so ripped off that they gather the will to post about it. :p

15. I've never had a prob with my rev C 7 pro. Love it. Done probly 12-15 gigs, not a hitch.

16. vehement

vehement

Jul 11, 2008
    Burlingame, CA
    Only my first unit had problems and I had to return it. I've owned 2 other SVT-7s since, and the current one for over 1/2 and it has been performing wonderfully!

17. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    I also have a 7pro and I'll say this.......go for it....u will love the tone

18. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I started this thread 2 years ago. Just bought another Ampeg 7 Pro today. So far it's sounding great and not cutting out. Got a gig tomorrow and I'm giving the 7 Pro another try. Keeping my fingers crossed!

19. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I also bought one of these when they first came out, then when it had limiter issues i moved on as well. I ordered one monday and it will be here tomorrow. I loved the tone of the svt7pro and thats why im willing to give it another shot.

i wont get duped a third time though. If it fails again with the revisions ill just have to move on from ampeg completely. Ampeg amps have imho some of the best tone money can buy. I had a SLM SVT4pro that i didnt have a single issue with for four years of gigging. i only got rid of it because of the weight. What good is an amp if it cuts out in the middle of a show? Its not like a play Metal or push it crazy hard either. Indie rock is pretty mellow.

Thats what the 7 pro was supposed to solve. Here we go again.

20. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    I know for sure, if I do get one, I'm adding the gold coverage 3 year replacement plan for $109.99. Noooooo question. I'm usually morally opposed to warrantee and replacement plans, but in this case, I don't think skipping it is even an option.

I still haven't come to a conclusion though. I'm liking the Warwick thumb through the GK MB500 with the low mids pushed pretty hard. The warwick is clean and tight enough that when I crank the low mids on the amp (which would create crazy amounts of muddyness and swampy goo with my EMG loaded Ibenhad or even with the MusicMan surprisingly), it sounds full, punchy and rich. Still not the same as the Ampeg tone, but not bad. Maybe I'll hold off for a bit and see how I feel in a month. It sucks though when the GAS gets a hold of you. I'm patient in a lot of ways, but not with gear purchases.