1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Any DIY pedal builders on TB? Strut your stuff!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SubHuman, Jun 26, 2020.

1. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

Tell me about it, dude. I have made three purchases from them and every time, the next day, my cart starts filling up again.

Their B3K build is simple and sounds awesome, by the way.

joe

AudioTaper likes this.
  2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no pcbs or parts, but have a wolley mamoth and several octaves and can confirm it's a nasty pair!

JoeDaddio and AudioTaper like this.
  3. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    I built 3 Pedal PCB Arachnid FX pedals for Christmas presents for my son and some friends and wrote the effects using SpinCAD to program the FV-1 DSP.
    My Son and buddies love them. You have 8 different FX in one pedal so they’re great for an easy setup to jam. You can grab your Axe and the 8 FX pedal and leave your pedal board at home. The FX are top notch sounding too! I upgraded the op-amps, resistors and caps to high end so they are very low noise, high quality. Great project! Some of their friends want pedals too so getting ready to build 5 more to sell. I am also writing more custom effects. Great COVID stress relief! I used decals and clear spray. Hopefully next pedals will have better art work! Highly recommend PedalPCB.
    upload_2021-2-8_23-41-40.jpeg

4. JoeDaddio

The digital stuff is beyond me. I'v been trying to wrap my mind around the Electrosmith Daisy with thoughts of potentially being able to play with that one day but I feel so... left behind with it. lol.

And those graphics look great. Did you print water slides and then clear coat, or did you use some other method for the decals?

joe

5. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    Thanks! Yes I did water slide and clear coat. I ruined a few before I got it right.

JoeDaddio likes this.
  6. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA

Hey just checked out that Electrosmith Daisy! Pretty cool! I might have to buy a developement system to play with during COVID! Cool stuff! Thanks!

cosmicevan and JoeDaddio like this.
  7. JoeDaddio

Yeah, it's very cool stuff, especially for people with some know-how. I'm stoked to see what people do with it.

joe

8. Even more dangerous when they put them on sale for 25% off...

Alas, the OC-2 one wasn't available yet, but it's on my togetdo list.

@SubHuman Way cool on the Arachnid build. I can't programmer-bammer-slammer-hammer so I leave that up to others, got the PedalPCB Module8.

I might get the PedalPCB Daisy interface anyway, and get my guitar-friend to do some programming in exchange for a pedal-build (so I'll need two of the PPCB Daisy dealios).

Year of the Rat is almost over...

JoeDaddio and SubHuman like this.
  9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Daisy looks amazing. Makes me wish I was more than just an idea man :)

JoeDaddio likes this.
  10. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Wow, I would save about $300 off my current cart :laugh:

Ok, not that much but a coupon would certainly help

JoeDaddio likes this.
  11. Gong Hei Fat Choi, pedal builders.

362392_v9_ba.jpg

Best wishes in the Year of John Entwistle!

12. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    I started this for a friend and had problems so my BlueBeard just got started today.

It’s a ZVex SHO with master volume into a Tea Philter cocked wah.

Gain low and volume up it’s a cocked wah but add gain and it becomes a distortion with sweepable mids. Sounds cool with guitar and bass. I’ll make one for myself, I like it that much.

I found a grinding kind of drill bit to make the texture. I find it only ok but I’m keeping my eye out for other bits.
    12129CD1-C8C0-4A04-850C-D48F81E97F59.jpeg AAF4587D-27B0-4EBB-BB2C-BA09328E5220.jpeg

Fuzzonaut, SubHuman and cosmicevan like this.
  13. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Here's a thing, or rather the THING, Deadend's recreation of the TWA Dynamorph.

Quite a complicated build, that took me a while to complete. Missing and backordered parts, a few mistakes and the need to improvise, endlessly mulling over the graphics - everything was there.
    But it was worth it, I'm really happy with it, the sounds this thing produces are unique and very, very cool!

I added a pilot light (the red one in the monster's main eye) and moved the "light show" (the other 6 LEDs, in different colors) in between the other eyes.
    Opting for a JJ enclosure, I thought that there will be more than enough space, but still, it's pretty packed in there and it was a tight fit.

thing.jpeg

thing-g.jpeg

14. mdalamond

mdalamond Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    Curious , are you doing the Bluebeard from kit or vero? I have built a clone on vero but don’t have an original to compare to. Basically a muff modded for bass. I have done a lot of research on the BB but am always looking to learn more.

15. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NY

Vero! How do you like yours?

16. mdalamond

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    I like it pretty well. I had it on my board for a long time and recently replaced it with a Supercollider clone. I ended up not doing the tone bypass in the BB but may add it at a later time . I never really got a definitive answer on how to wire it so I skipped it. I have lost count of how many distortion, overdrive and fuzz pedals I have built to date. Its a cold rainy day so I have pulled a bunch out to play with. Good times. Good luck with your build.

17. mdalamond

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    If you like the muffs , another good one on vero to look into is the Deluge . I was just did an AB against the BB. To me the Deluge sounds like it lets more of the dry signal through , its not as bright as the BB either and I don't think it has as much gain though its very close. The BB has a nice mix with the dry signal but the distortion is a little louder. Its much brighter than the Deluge. Both have there place. To me the perfect balance would be right in the middle of the 2. Hmm, maybe time for a new project.

Fuzzonaut, AudioTaper and davelowell2 like this.
  18. More Muffs added to the slush pile. If I did a Muff-a-Month it would take me 2-3 years to get through them all — 'Cause I keep finding new variants, or having a twisted mind on an existing one.

Based on a Muff, but not a Muff, The Quarantine Fuzz from PedalPCB. I've been mapping out what I want to do with mine. A Gate, Cap-mixer (the middle coupler is a paltry 10n compared to the others at 100n), and a mod by Zorg brings the knob count up to a total of six, and if I add the feedback footswitch I'll need another knob to keep that under control. Plus I've got some ideas for 2-3 switches.

This DIY thing is dangerous. It was supposed to help cure GAS and limit choices, but has done rather completely the opposite.

Now I want to build a SHO into a TEA Filter with an expression-pedal input.

And build some Thing with a super-cool monster graphic...

BTB people, Effects Layouts has a sale on right now 15% off, "whatever15". The guy has pumped out loads of Perf layouts for the DIY community, so I like to support him and have a few of his PCBs.

cosmicevan, JoeDaddio and davelowell2 like this.
  19. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    My Bluebeard is finished and what’s a diy pedal without a misaligned pot, lol?

A few firsts for me, such a large vero, 3 pots and a switch, somewhat tidy wiring inside, and zero mistakes.

Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B is next. A2A7EA62-71B3-42BE-8547-68D11CF75264.jpeg 69C422FD-C001-4A4C-B110-2EC057D963B0.jpeg 13753BDD-7756-44C4-8124-59C91CEE7C25.jpeg 18E57FFA-9B7F-4EBB-8532-930E22A4B9D5.jpeg

20. mdalamond

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    LooksGreat . I see you did the mid shift on the toggle. What value caps did you use on the switch. I believe on the original its a tone bypass switch using a spst toggle. I am still on the learning curve and have not been able to figure out how to do a proper tone bypass on this particular vero layout. I believe whoever created the vero layout just used a general muff layout and changed all the values of the resistors and caps to that of the Bluebeard.
    I have studied multiple gut photos of Bluebeards and can confirm that the resistor values appear to be correct. Pretty sure the caps and diodes are spot on.
    The Wren and Cuff is a pretty cool sounding build. I used ans AC128 for the PNP and did the layout with 2 pots instead of 1 pot and a trimpot. Just be sure to use a real j201 or it wont work, I found out the hard way and bought some duds.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021