1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any NAMM bass rumors yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jan 8, 2020.

1. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    California
    What were your expectations?

There are way worse places I can think of hanging out for a few days that actually cost me admission to try and enjoy.

TolerancEJ, basses55, Axstar and 2 others like this.
  2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Ok I'm going to just give some straight dope on this subject and I know it might rub people the wrong way, but it is reality.

This is to the general public who are lucky enough to get a pass.

Do you know what the NAMM origination owes You.

Absolutely nothing
    Goose Egg
    Zero and I mean zero...

It is for Retailers, buyers, manufactures, media and demonstrators.

I think some some people have the wrong idea of what it is like its some kind of car show or something for the general public...I have news for ya....Its not for You cowboy.

If you are lucky enough to get a pass...Enjoy it.
    Its already crowded enough for people that are trying to conduct real business, to pay their mortgages, put their children through school and just live like anybody else.

There are plenty of public shows afterwards, that I hope those local can enjoy but please understand what this show is for (at least at this point in time) and its been that way for over a 100 years.

Cheers

3. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I do believe that was a drop the mic type post lol.

Microbass, ak56, J_Bass and 3 others like this.
  4. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Thanks @Bassworship1
    I actually have to much respect for mics to do that...
    However I get your intent :thumbsup:;):)

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi arbiterusa :)

What a bad trip!

Maaaaan! You really should stop those blue pills!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Garret Graves likes this.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Somehow I ended up with a Demonstrator badge at a friend's booth this year, implying that I might be expected to do actual work. OTOH, my wife told me to try not to get arrested. So much for respectability! Yel_wink.gif

7. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    California
    I totally understand the frustration if you’re there trying to earn your income. I’ll be there working, and the more people there are, the harder the job is.

Others who have the opportunity to see what it’s about, either in a working capacity or as the general public, can form their own opinion. If NAMM really wanted to keep the crowds out and make this a very strict business to business trade show, then they would. They’ve filled it with live music acts, award shows, celebrities, giveaways, and lots of incentive for people to want to go who have zero to do with the industry. They broadened who they allowed in, so I’m not so sure what a business who attends the show is expecting anymore. There are plenty of them who refuse to go to a NAMM show and I totally understand why.

Much respect to EVERYONE on this thread who has been doing this much longer than I have. We all see and experience things in a different way, and it’s great information for those who don’t have an idea what goes on. It’s likely a broken record discussion that comes up annually and I’m sure it’s tiring.

I think I’ve said all I can about this, and my offer still stands for anyone who wants specific photos or product info. Just shoot me a PM!

basses55, GregC and Bassworship1 like this.
  8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Either she’s got a sense of humour or there’s a backstory here.

fauxtoe and Passinwind like this.
  9. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    What booth, Passinwind? I’ll try and swing by.

Passinwind likes this.
  10. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Namm is something I've never been blessed to go to but have had the chance with vendors I support offering me the opportunities. Hopefully one day I will get to as it would surely be something I would love to do.

Passinwind and TonyP- like this.
  11. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I look forward to seeing you my friend

Passinwind likes this.
  12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Or both!

Hall D, #4728. That's Marco Bass Guitars, from Dallas OR.

Lowendtech likes this.
  13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Likewise Tony. Trying to free up time for the Friday night show you're playing, but I'm sure I'll see you on the show floor otherwise.

TonyP- likes this.
  14. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I think I have a mic or two that even Tony would consider droppable. Maybe I'll look tonight.

I also have a few antiques that I would never drop.

TonyP-, Passinwind and Bassworship1 like this.
  15. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Do your posts tend to rub people up the wrong way? You've not exactly dropped a controversial or extraordinary truth-bomb here; a trade show if for professionals in the industry rather than tourists. If you can't convey this fairly normal information without causing upset and offense then perhaps the issue is with your posting style or the touchiness of musicians and wannabe musicians?

Heck, I once went to a thing called 'Road Expo'. I was shown machines that fill in holes in the road, new barrier technology, new traffic light systems using fancy sensors etc. It didn't mean a thing to me then, and it wouldn't now as roads still aren't my profession, but I got a few free pens out of it! I was there because of a tenuous link through my college. I turned up, shook some hands, did zero business, took some pens and left! No doubt some serious deals were brokered there, but I wasn't part of that.

Zon master likes this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I can tell you this. In all seriousness, one of those things I mentioned will happen in the next five years. Only one - but it's coming.

17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    @Axstar well...As You Know it’s the Internet and somebody from somewhere can easily get offended, especially now when “triggered” is a thing :rolleyes:.

You would thing it’s common knowledge about what a trade show is BUT more then once have I heard people saying “NAMM was a let down”...’Insert dark hoodie wearing individual with a sad deep teenage voice, looking down at the ground, and kicking a Can across the street in suburbia.

Now they will go home and get on a computer and complain about in mom’s basement or their office of their 6 figure job that has at the insurance agencey they work at.

12BitSlab, ak56, Axstar and 1 other person like this.
  18. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

You made some great points, brother. I've gone for the last decade or so and enjoy it for what it is. I shy away from spending Friday and Saturday at the show...first and last day are the days that you can cover the most ground, see and play things without it being too crazy in there, and leave with a bit of hearing left.

Hope to see you again this year.

Mark

TonyP- likes this.
  19. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Mark, please come by and say Hello. That would be awesome...If you want to check out the TP5 there will be (2) there.
    One with me and one over at Nordstrand.
    Also I will be working at Tsunami a bit as there new A&R.
    See you soon
    81490553_1024884434539079_7066221306529710080_o.jpg

20. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Will do, brother!

TonyP- likes this.