1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody Remember Regis Or St George Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I had one of theses, although I don't remember which one, many years ago, like 1960 or so, and I cannot find any reference to either name anywhere - even the Wikipedia.

It was sweet, brown, sorta tobacco/sunburst and was my first bass.

Just for nostalgia sake, does anyone have any info on one or the other?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Those were brand names that got stuck on some generic unbranded Japanese instruments. Every importer/exporter that ordered a batch of them from the factory got to make up their own brand name to be applied to the headstock. That's why there are loads of bass brands from the '60s and '70s that have little to no info about them on the web, if you search by brand name.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my first bass was a St. George!!!

i forced my friend to sell it to me with a buy-back clause. he never played the thing so i put $100. on his coffee table, grabbed the bass, and walked out. as soon as i saved enough for a Fender P, i sold it back to him for $80.

those were sold mostly by pawn shops i heard. the action was terrible on this one but my hands got pretty strong!

(kinda wish i still had it)

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my first bass was a 1964 St. George that my parents bought for me in 1966 for $50 in a pawn shop in downtown LA. it had a huge bow in the neck but i didn't know anything about basses then. i've since found one that's just like it (only with a straight neck) and i dig having one (again).

stgeorge-1.

5. As far as I know, Regis and St. George were just rebranded Teisco instruments.

6. My first bass was a used St George that my parents bought me. It didn't play well at all (high action, bowed neck).

Next was a beat to sh!t Fender Jazz Bass (looked worse than Jaco's!) that I got in 68 or 69 for $100 with a case in worse condition. Wish I still had that one. Don't ask.

7. Very cool JohnK. I wish I could find another like my first bass too.

8. Gr8Bottom

Gr8Bottom

Oct 20, 2011
    I fell in love with a st George bass back in 1968. It was in a music store and before I could save up the 200.00 dollars to buy it someone else got it. so I never got to play it or even hear it. I still remember it though It had a huge head stock the looked like an upright head stock. I'd love to see a picture of one now.

9. OneFlash

OneFlash

Jan 3, 2010
    Wow - talk about memories -- my parents bought me a St. George bass because they were cheap, but for some reason the one I got sounded better than any I had ever played including my 60's P bass. I used it exclusively for recording and it was the cleanest, punchiest thing I'd ever owned. We called it a freak of the otherwise crappy production of instruments. I used it up until the day it got stolen from our home in the SF bay area. To this day I'd love to get this one freak back.

:bag:

10. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    St.George basses were made from approx. 1966 thru 1969 and were imported and sold by a music store in California from what Ive been told. At least my model which is a rosewood and black hollowbody bass. This model was made in the same factory as Greco's of the day. Can't tell the difference side by side except for the name on the headstock. Traditionaly thought of as beginners bass some actualy intermediate grade. I got mine off of E-bay in terrible condition and brought it back to life over a few months , a lot of work, and a good friend who also owns the local music store and his techs.It now has the traditional 60's hollowbody sound. 1 of the original pickups came DOA so it was replaced with a SD bridge mini humbucker , Quite a unique sound now.I'm not sure but I think the nephew of the store owner in California was a member here.A search might give more info.Thanks.Hope this helps.

11. Mine though was solid body. Wish I'd have known about hollows though.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The guitarist in my band has one similar to that. You can roll a hotwheel between the strings and the neck from about the ninth fret on up. Sounds as good as it plays!:smug: