1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Actually Solved Neck Dive with Strap Button Placement or Tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dingo, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    Hi, I've read a lot about people saying they changed the strap button placement and/or tuners to help with neck dive. However, very rarely people actually says whether or not it had fixed the issue.

So, I'm asking what have your actual experience been with trying either changing the strap button placement and/or tuners?

My situation is that I really want a Mustang PJ, but I'm afraid of neck dive, and not being able to fix it. Trying the tuner and strap button suggestions will surely make it impossible to take it back, so I'll like to be as sure as possible that it can be dealt with.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not necessary when you can easily solve it with this on the bottom of your strap. 2nu3tw4.

3. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    Ah, alright. Thought it would pull some paint of, or at least be visible. But that could be a good way to try it out in a safe way then

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Moving the bottom strap button higher helps the balance a little. It's not going solve an extreme imbalance, but it will shift the center of gravity a little bit.

3.JPG

Kevnn4, MrLenny1, craig0316 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    Alright, thanks for the tip. Think I've only mostly come across people suggesting to move the neck strap from horn to neck heel

bobba66 likes this.
  6. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I've found a wider strap with a swede or rubber backing will usually keep the bass in place and not dive. It's usually cheaper than replacing parts on basses.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Easy fix, too.
    I simply covered the tape with a seatbelt cushion.
    I’m sure a flat lead weight would work, too.
    F68-B0-B85-85-F8-4-F3-D-92-DA-09-A66-D6-E0720.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Dingo likes this.
  8. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    @JGbassman yeah that's true. Kinda forgot to add that to my post. Im going the SS way partly because Ive some injury to my shoulder and neck area, and I kinda figured the friction from a wider strap with rubber or the like would still give 'pull' towards the neck, or maybe im wrong?

@jd56hawk Alright, Ill be sure to try that out!

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    A 3" strap will dissipate some of the weight of the bass, it might cause you even less shoulder issues. Keepin the bass in place might actually take tension off your fretting arm, releasing some of the pain as well. It might be worth a try.

It might aggravate your shoulder as well, but you won't know if you don't try it. I would certainly do that before adding weight in the form of a counter balance to the bass or strap. I'm guess it would take quite a few pounds to make even a bit of difference, and your shoulder probably wouldn't like the additional weight

Dingo likes this.
  10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yes. Ultralight tuners (I used Hipshot) to replace conventional Fender tuners completely solved neck dive issues on a 5-string for me. Weight removed from the headstock is much more effective in this regard than weight added to the body - simple physics.

11. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    I have a 3'5 leather strap so I can give it a go, and still be able to return the mustang if it doesn't work. So, I might as well try :)
    If I need to add extra weight, then I think I'll choose something else. Although, I really like the mustang so don't hope so (fingers crossed)

12. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    @TomB Glad to hear someone actually having success with it! Thanks for sharing

13. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The Ultralights will help a lot. It's a better solution than adding weight to the body. I've used either Ultralights or Res-O-Lites on almost all my builds with light bodies to keep the overall weight down and to maintain balance.

14. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have you guys noticed a change in tone or sustain with light weight tuners?
    Things like the fat finger definitely increase the sustain (due to mass) but I have no idea about tone.
    OTOH, most electric bass guitars have plenty of sustain for most.
    A Mustang is light enough that adding weight may not be a big deal although the gains are not that great.

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I was concerned about a change in tone, but didn’t perceive one at all. As a bonus I didn’t expect, the Hipshots are fantastic tuners and actually work and hold tune even better than the stock ones.

larryatravis, Gearhead17 and JIO like this.
  16. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I had a little neck dive on my EBMM Caprice. I weighed the stock tuners and the Hipshot Ultralight replacements and found that I could save about 5.5 ounces by switching. That weight savings, at the end of the long lever that is a bass neck, is pretty significant. I switched, and yes, it fixed the issue in my case. I now have no neck dive, even when using a cheap 2" nylon strap. I did lose a tiny bit of sustain, but not much at all. The bass still sustains better than anything I'v e ever owned except for my Pedulla Buzz. Other than this sustain issue, the tone did not change in any way I can perceive.

Dingo and Groove Doctor like this.
  17. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Try a strap that doesn't have a smooth back.

Dingo likes this.
  18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Never noticed any negatives with lightweight tuners and I've swapped a fair number of them. I have noticed improvement in balance when swapping for lightweight tuners as well. It's become increasingly important to me over the years as I move to lighter instruments.

Sustain is overrated in my opinion...

... which is worth about what you paid for it. ;)

Thick McRunfast likes this.
  19. I play a G&L ASAT
    It's heavy and prone to neck dive and is a slab body bass, no contours. In fact, if neck dive was an Olympic sport, the ASAT would win 9 times out of 10.
    I learned to deal with it because I love the feel of the ASAT neck. I simply rest my right elbow on the body and use a wide flexible guitar strap. I don't even notice any dive at this point. Probably because I developed muscles and adjustment to deal with it. The neck dive seemed to disappear when I started practicing our set lists while standing instead of sitting.
    It's a great bass, an '89 Leo Fender signed bass. If you see me gigging, you'll see an ASAT in my hands even though I own 4 other basses of different makes.

Ellery, Dingo and jd56hawk like this.
  20. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I screwed a strap button into the side of the neck at the 12th fret on a Dean flying V bass that was unplayable using the factory strap location on the neck plate. Added a metal washer so the strap is permanently attached barring the use of a screwdriver.

It doesn't neck dive anymore.

Ellery and Dingo like this.