1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria Pro II Black and Gold Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by garmenteros, Mar 6, 2019.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I got a new project. Paid about 40 bucks for this.
    The good:
    truss rod works
    original bridge and tuning keys work (do need cleaning)
    neck is straight
    frets are in good to great shape (just dirty)
    I love the neck profile and the bass is light

The bad:
    The bass smells like garbage
    No electronics or pickups
    Nut is damaged

Im stripping it, refinishing it brand new like condition in gloss black, dropping in some dual coil barts, and making a brass nut and tuning it D flat standard.

ARIA PRO ii 00. ARIA PRO ii 01. ARIA PRO ii 02. ARIA PRO ii 03. ARIA PRO ii 04. ARIA PRO ii 05. ARIA SB BLACK AND GOLD II Cliff Burton.

postalflunkie, BritFunk, Beej and 3 others like this.
  2. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Can someone send me a link to schematics for this bass, I know they are pretty simple, but it would be helpful, its a single volume and tone, one coil selector for each pickup, and and a pickup selector.

3. Looks like a fun project, but dang; where was this stored to put it in that condition? That's a lot more than just getting dusty.

4. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    It really does smell like garbage truck. Give or take a couple of weeks itll be new.

5. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    This will make for an extreme before-and-after shot! (And smell.)

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Flood damage? Years in a moldy basement? That thing is roached! If nothing is delaminating, those were great basses, well worth restoring. Id try stringing it up to check for basic playability before spending a lot of time on it though. Water + bass = bad.

Teacher likes this.
  7. About 10 years ago I was playing guitar at church on a Sunday morning. After the service was over we went downstairs to enjoy a potluck meal, and when we came back up to pack up our gear the bass player discovered that while we were gone a kid had thrown his bass in the baptistry. The finish started cracking and peeling almost immediately from the wood swelling, but the instrument was still playable. After a few weeks, though, everything started to delaminate. Eventually he just wound up discarding the whole instrument, which was a bummer because that was his best sounding bass.

8. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Thats not really a problem. It could have been in the ocean for a year and Ill fix it. I cant afford a reissue cliff and would love one. I have a gibson ripper. I got it for cheaper and worse condition and it had seen a lot of water. What I did was steam the bass and take it apart and put it back together.
    IMG001. IMG009. IMG007. IMG002. IMG068.JPG

fermata, Axstar, Beej and 3 others like this.
  9. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Well at least we know it went to heaven.

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I just noticed the condition of the nut, maybe this is just a victim of cataclysmic abuse, filth, and terminal ineptitude by the previous owner, which is still better than flood damage. Seriously, wear a respirator mask working on this thing, you don't want mold spores in your lungs. Can you narrow down the Stench Identification? Garbage or Sewage? Flood basses tend to be drenched in sewage and heating oil, a heady aroma all it's own, and highly toxic. Nice job rescuing the Ripper, BTW.

11. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Where do you all find stuff like this?? I'd love to get a restore project like this! Such a cool bass, too!!

12. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I go through pawn shops, ones that dont sell instruments usually. A place that pawns instruments will probably know what it has. I go to dumpsters and flea markets as well. They literally pickup trash and sell it, discarded electronics, i picked up randall elliots old mutron biphase for 5 dollars once.

13. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    You'd be surprised what people throw away. A local friend whos a garbage diver said these wise words once, "you can take a pulse of a country's economy by what kind of things people throw away."

14. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Looking good. No damage apparently. 9CDCC11C-620C-4754-BD02-C60019B66B23. 14A9DF06-E5C3-4DD0-8EBC-5864CE79C5FA. 34E844DE-216D-4AC6-ACB5-47FD8B4478D3.

postalflunkie and Matt Liebenau like this.
  15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Dang! That looks good! Why’d they cover up the walnut neck through laminations? I think I’d go natural finish on that, or maybe transparent. That’s too nice to paint back over.

16. I understand if you want to put it back to black and gold but, a natural finish wouldn’t be the worst thing ever on that bass.

Tom0Blam0 likes this.
  17. postalflunkie

postalflunkie Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Westerville, Ohio
    Wow! Quite a project you've got there...
    I'd scour the web and try to find original aria pickups.
    For the bridge and tuners try Flitz polish, they'll look like brand new.

18. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Im thinking about going natural, the wood
    Looks amazing. Expect More pictures soon.

tbrannon and Gilmourisgod like this.
  19. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    60852567-6FDA-413B-BE93-2F130DD12754. People at aria customer service sent me this.

Gilmourisgod and Matt Liebenau like this.
  20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    They orobably painted it because it’s a couple pieces on the bottom body wing, but I still think it would look great natural.