1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown RM-800 Head $350 ($700 everywhere else)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by os2k, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    That last post of mine may not be consistent with the subject, but I figured Id share my work anyway.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Hey Man, I'm not saying that you shouldn't wait months. I'm simply saying that I wouldn't. There are quite a few good amps available right now at around the same price point as that RM-800 was offered. Some may even be better than the Ashdown.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Where are the speakers loaded? :roflmao:

4. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    They're hiding in the back :thumbsup:

ebozzz likes this.
  5. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    There are a few mesa subway 800's on reverb for about 550 bucks. I've been pretty close to cancelling this order and getting one of those.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    That would be one of the amps. The Quilter Bass Block 800 is another. I got my Quilter new for well below the normal price. More amps could be named. Some people may like some of the suggestions and others may not. The amp world certainly doesn't began & end with the RM-800.

I didn't really need it but if I could have gotten one for $350.00, I was willing to take a chance to see if it filled more of a need than what I currently have. It didn't work out for me. Maybe it will for someone else. One thing for sure is that after all of the mixed information that I received, I have serious doubts about this deal happening....

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Or, this might be an option. At that price, you BETTER receive one! :roflmao:

https://www.amazon.com/Ashdown-RM80...1515964014&sr=1-3&keywords=ashdown+rootmaster

I've only owned or played one Ashdown Class D amp. It was the MiBass 2.0. I got a great deal on it new so I took a chance. The MiBass 2.0 was a great sounding little amp but lacked some features that I would have liked. In my opinion, it was also sort of under powered for an amp that was supposedly in the 500 watt range. I've heard reports of the original Rootmaster amps lacking power as well so I held off on those. Then I heard that the more recent amps had a change in the power section. Tone & features probably wouldn't be a problem for me with the EVO series. I'm still concerned with the power section. The fact that the 800 watt version appears to be scarce just about everywhere causes me to wonder about how viable it actually is....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Over $1K? It better be amazing.
    Odd that it ships fro a third party seller.
    Who is D-Circle

My only interest is GC anymore is for used gear and misc. crap

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    :roflmao::roflmao:

A lot of third party sellers do business on Amazon but I wondered some of the same about D-Circle. With the sellers that I've done business with, I've always at least had an idea of where the item was coming from....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  11. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    But this is from GC not Amazon
    Had not seen this before
    Perhaps inventory reduction is a way to stay alive for those thevin' varmints

12. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

I don't think it's coming from anyplace close:

"Standard shipping takes about 3-5 weeks."

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Yeah, I saw that much and you're probably right. It's just that most of the sellers that I have dealt with have had a statement saying "Ships from _______" or something to that effect. I guess that it's possible that some of those sellers aren't being truthful about their locations. It's also possible that it might take "3-5 weeks" because that seller doesn't have the item in stock. You order from them and they order from their source. Then best case scenario after that is probably that the amp would be drop shipped directly to the consumer (3 weeks) and worst case is that it would be shipped to the seller who would then ship to the consumer (5 weeks). Regardless of the shipping origin, there's no chance at all of me placing an order for one at over $1,000.00....

Here's another thought. I've noticed that the Ashdown site has been revamped. It now looks as if they are selling direct to the consumer. Check it out.....

Heads

Maybe Ashdown is doing business under the name of D-Circle? :D I'm obviously joking but I did find one thing odd about the Ashdown page where the heads are displayed. There's only a difference of 50 pounds between the cost of the RM-500 EVO and the RM-800 EVO. Why is that?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    And the 800 is .5kg lighter

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Amazing! Same features, significantly more power and less weight for only an additional 50 pounds!

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    KC, MO
    I'm not cancelling my order. I'll wait them out. I put this on my MF card and paid it off so if it never ships, I'll just have a credit out there to get something new. If a couple of months go by and they finally cancel my order, I'll just wait for the next 10-15% off day and get a PF 500 or something else instead. It's a sunk cost so it will be like I'm getting free gear later if I have to pick out something new.

18. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    KC, MO
    Response I got today:

"I'm showing in our system that it has been discontinued and we are not scheduled to receive any more of this item."

But still didn't say they're cancelling my order.

19. Cvdunk

Cvdunk Monkey Hands......

Nov 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    It sounds like the second reviewer did not get an RM800. I have one, love it btw (replaced my Mark Bass with it.), and what he's saying makes absolutely no sense at all. There are two inputs. There is a mute. There is a tuner in. Wonder what he received.