Avalon U5!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I think I've narrowed my preamp decision down to an Avalon U5. Could you guys give me some real world, real gig info on this bad boy. I'm planning on running it with a new QSC PLX2402 bridged into an 8 ohm Avatar 212. What is the biggest difference between the EQ settings, and which ones work best for you guys? I'll be using a Sadowsky Metro 5 string, a Franken P, and a 1966 stock Fender jazz. I'm also interested in knowing how this pre stacks up or compares to other well known pre's, such as the Alembics, Demeters, Aguilars, etc. Thanks!!!!! :D
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    While you are waiting for replies, do a search for Avalon in this forum. Loads of the exact info you are looking for. It will go nicely with the input you receive in this thread.

3. Thanks MJ5150...I was just doing that. I'm surprised at how many people use this as a rig, I may be joining them.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to love that rig. Congratulations.

I use settings #2, #4 and #5 the most. Number 2 is scooped and mellow. Number 4 boosts the mids and highs a bit, and is good for cutting through the mix. Number 5 is like #4, except with a little more bite. I haven't played those other pres, but I don't see how they could sound any better. BassTasters has some good clips of pres, including the U5. Check it out. Although I still don't know how one can make a realistic comparison on 2-inch computer speakers. Maybe I should hook up my Mackie SR-1530s. That would be awesome.
  5. Great info Munji!!! I think I'm going to be lucky enough to try one out on a gig next week and I'll keep the eq settings you use in mind. Also, I have my KRK ST6's hooked up to my computer and they really help with the basstasters clips. I haven't had my computer speakers hooked up in about a year, they sound like SH$T. I'm trying to sell my WT-800, am I going to regret it? I ask because I see that you have one in your profile.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all you need now is an Acme cab to go with that rig, and you'll be in studiophile heaven. ;)
  7. Is the Avalon roadworthy? I'm afraid to try the Acme...I may buy one.
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The Avalon is definitely road worthy. Get a good case for it and youll be all set. I bought a U5 and found that I could distort the unit with my passive basses at gain settings of 6 and up. I took it back because I didnt care for that at all. Tried the other one they had and it was exactly the same. I seem to be the only one in the world who has had such an experience though so take that for what its worth. As far as sound it was very similar to my Demeter VTBP-201s but maybe a little more fat in the lows and slightly smoother highs.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Ever since I got my Metro I've been thinking about getting a higher-fi preamp. With my modulus Q5 I really needed the extra fat and juice of an Ampeg SVP Pro ... now even my SWR workingman's 10 sounds killer! The sadowsky just doesn't need any help at all.

Avalon makes my dream studio preamp, the Vt-737sp. If price was no object, I would give that a go as my live preamp. I'm sure the U5 is very good as well (though having regular EQ and a comp is a big advantage with the 737). the quality on the Avalon stuff is top notch. Absolutely roadworthy.

There are other studio style preamps out there you could try (like presonus and focusrite), but the avalon is bass-guitar specific and is a very safe bet.
  10. Caesar...

Do a search under Avalon and put in my name (tommixx) under member name...you will probably find all the info you would ever need including comparisons of the U5 to other pres....as a Bass player and as an Engineer I can not recommend the U5 enough......I had 3 of them up until about 2 hours ago when I shipped one off to Houston, TX!!!!! You may find these threads particularly useful......

Personally, I don't really use the EQ much but I like preset 4 for most of the time if I use it at all...I think you will find with the Sadowsky on board and the right amp/cab combo you can get most of the tones that you could ever want without any use of outside EQ.......

11. It's a great unit, it has found a permanent space in my rack. I have used it as my pre for the past 4 gigs and it has sounded great at all of them. I use setting 3 as my main setting, #1 for a slightly more mid scooped sound than #3, and #4 if I need more mid presence for burpy fingerstyle funk. I love the simplicity, as I used to be a chronic knob turner, and this has cured me of that.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

interesting. i thought thru my setup and basses, the Dem was a tad muddy, while the U5 was clean and clear as a whistle.

what gear were you using the U5 with Metron?

yea, its ironic that i am a chronic knob tweaker, but the U5 more than satisfies my needs. *shrug*

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    pre -> QSC 2402 -> berg 210/115 I used my passive fenders. I also spent quite a bit of time listening to recordings of both through decent headphones. The only major difference on the recording was the Demeter had that high end sheen that at times can make it sound a bit clicky while the U5 had smoother highs. The difference in lows was only apparent through the amp but I bet it would also come through on the recording with some good studio monitors.
  14. The U5 is the WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting mine next Thursday:
    U5-QSC PLX2402-Avatar 212!!!!!!!! Anybody need a WT-800???? It's for sale.
    Almost forgot-Thanks for all of the great info. :hyper: :hyper:
  15. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I used to own a U-5,and really loved it until I heard the Millennia TD-1! Do yourself a favor and try a TD-1 before you buy the U-5,you will be glad you did.

16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good stuff, metron... too bad the U5 wasnt up to par for you thru your berg stack. i'd think that combo would sound pretty darn good. :meh:

oh my freakin',

a little OT, but on www.basstasters.com, those clips of the STT-1 are simply mind boggling... :eek: :help:

can only imagine what the TD-1 sounds like...
  17. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I not only own a TD-1,but I also own a STT-1!!

18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Avalon is fairly pricey, isn't the TD-1 quite expensive?
  19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
  20. Hmmmm...I think it's the one with orange lights. Aren't they the same with the only difference being different colored LED's? In regards to the Millennia TD1, it's about $1000.00 more that the U5.