1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Azola EUBs Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by basss, Dec 3, 2004.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The one on the right looks like an ebony board...if so, that's the one I would take.

Azola prices seem to be on the rise because there's so few around. I don't remember what I paid for my Minibass, it was less than $1900 but not by much and that was about a decade ago.

2. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Both of those have the regular piezo pickup but the one on the right looks to have a tone knob, which would help with tone shaping, plus the ebony. I've heard that these early ones don't sound so even across the strings because of the single Bass Max pickup. Anyone else have experience with that?

3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Is it possible that the tone knob is a hi pass filter? If I roll the tone back it sounds thin like the single knob bug. Roll it forward and it adds more low end.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's exactly what my Mini has, a bass rolloff knob...also a Bass Max pickup which has never seemed to be a problem for me.

59jazz likes this.
  5. 59jazz

8E0A6AA2-27FD-4570-8F88-81A1A36C8BAD.jpeg 8E0A6AA2-27FD-4570-8F88-81A1A36C8BAD.jpeg ECE59E41-433F-4484-A849-07029F6D9490.jpeg 2CB6FEF0-01FF-4F55-8866-464058E2441B.jpeg 76FB03E6-B13F-4CFD-91F9-18F31E74CF6C.jpeg 10F368F4-594F-4475-8B1B-3601C3ABD163.jpeg D6AE60EC-ABAD-4538-ADB5-4E6DC8072C40.jpeg 4D965E3C-E14D-40AD-9BE8-18865F9DFBF8.jpeg C353E167-1112-4AA2-AC7A-FC98090C83E0.jpeg C0926E06-DB9E-492F-B7EE-9BEC609EEC4A.jpeg Nasty bug bite! The threaded insert for the upper bout was over tightened, looks like it was dropped too. So I came up with a nifty fix....

Jazzdogg, drewk, ctmullins and 2 others like this.
  6. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Wow! You know what you are doing! Did it have the washer before, too?

7. 59jazz

Thank you! No it didn't have the plate prior to repair. IIRC a fellow BugBass user has one with a factory installed plate. I could have just installed the dowel insert and be done with it, but I chose to bolster it with a modded fender washer. The forstner bit is 1 5/8" as is the washer. I just might do the same to my Bug.

8. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    good work!

59jazz likes this.
  9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Good save!

59jazz likes this.
  10. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Did you happen to take pics of the neck assembly when you had the neck off? I've always wondered how Steve put the neck together with the adjustment screw. I assume the concept is just like a 70's tilt neck Fender Jazz. He always says to never take the neck off for travel, etc. so I wonder where the weakness is in that system?

11. 59jazz

No I didn’t, similar to a jazz or music man set up. Have had no problems caused by neck removal.

12. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    What is the adjustment allen screw sitting against? A metal disc?

13. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Yes

14. 59jazz

Replacement tuners with tension adjustment for a Bug Bass? In black? I'm cleaning up my recent acquisition and one of the tuners is in poor shape and needs to be replaced. Not sure if these are Schallers....any ideas where I can find some?

15. Court Crawford

Court Crawford

Mar 3, 2015
    I have one of the Azola Ampeg reissue basses, and I'm curious if any of you have ever opened up the pickup housing on one of them? Steve said there are trim pits on the preamp board, and before I bug him with too many questions I was wondering if any of you have successfully accessed the preamp board and, more importantly. got the bass back together afterwards. Any tips or photos you can offer on accessing the electronics would be most welcome.

armybass likes this.
  16. donk

donk

Nov 5, 2006
    Azola Xmas.jpeg

drewk, jharms80439 and 59jazz like this.
  17. Hi all,

Would anyone have a sound clip for a Bug Bass that they could post up. Thanks in advance.

Drew

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I posted this in the other Azola thread last week, but I don’t know how useful it will be. It was just a “let’s see how my new to me Bug sounds” quick run through. Mine is also an older one (the seller thought circa 2000) and has no preamp so it’s not the best representation of a new instrument.

19. Thanks, appreciate that, lovely looking and sounding Bug!

smperry likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021