1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Players are Their Own Worst Enemy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deadshovelhead, May 15, 2018.

1. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    I can get help lugging gear at the venue but not from home to car, I love the lightweight class d amp (TC RH750 and RS210 x2) I have and won't go back to the heavy gear again.

Jim Carr likes this.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

What does the little Vox do? Is that a compact in-ear monitor, scaled to match the rest of the rig?

3. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Funny, my mom gave away a B3 with a Leslie 15 years ago and could barely get someone to pick it up for free. My budd's Nord sounds just like it to me, but im only a snob for bass gear. I love the sound of my SVT stack, love the sound of my Mesa powerhouse stack. I gig a crappier sounding markbass combo 95% of the time, because it's easier and more volume appropriate. I'll echo the earlier sentiment that if I see a band setting up a Pert-sized drum kit and half stacks, I know I'm probably leaving after 3 songs.

4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Which is why I have a beast, a smaller combo, and a ToneHammer attached to my board that works as a DI.

Stumbo and bucephylus like this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If those are all that you're basing your assessment on, then I could maybe see how you may have generated your views, but it's quite a limited pool of experience to pull from. I'd suggest finding some top-level modern gear to demo just to experience how far bass gear has come. If you're dead set on an SVT tone, then you may still be left wanting, but at least you might walk away with an appreciation for just how powerful much of the newer stuff is - while being smaller/lighter (because it doesn't need to be big).

Hell, or find modern gear that is the same size as your stuff and prepare to have your socks knocked off (thinking of like a Barefaced Eight10 paired with something like a D800). I'd dare say that bass gear of all shapes and sizes has benefited from advances in technology within even the last decade or so.

Do that, and then we can actually have some decent discussions on the benefits of all types of gear, new, old, big and small. :)

five7 and Loring like this.
  6. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    Why? because I live in a big city and easy parking and load in/out isn't always available. I can carry my entire rig in 1 trip and still keep up with 2 drummers. or I can get a horrid sounding ampeg fridge and fight it every day.

Loring likes this.
  7. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    In my experience, the more someone gigs, the lighter their gear becomes.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Which bass should I buy; because I’m too lazy to go to the store and try them out myself.

Wisebass, Gaolee and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Amen. For example, I haven't seen an SVT in use anywhere in person in at least five years. But that doesn't mean I think nobody else has. Yel_wink.

Wisebass, smogg, lfmn16 and 3 others like this.
  10. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    I don't know how that got there but I do know that I love playing Brian May licks through it with my Hamer Special.

Gaolee likes this.
  11. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I did that and found numerous people bumping into my upright. In the past, I had bar staff move tables while we were setting up and they scratched the bass while I was playing. I don't like those gigs and turn down all when possible.

Jim Carr likes this.
  12. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Bro you are not wrong or naive, nor do you have anything to apologize for. Your opinion and experiences are as valid as anyone else's. I liked your post. Please do not be intimidated by self righteous trolls, feel free to speak your mind in this forum which we all SHARE. I'm listening.

Wisebass, DrayMiles and Deak like this.
  13. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Try 58 Hz:
    http://ampeg.com/pdf/SVT810EAV.pdf
    It's a whopping 10 dB down at 40 Hz - practically inaudible.

Downunderwonder, Jim Carr and Loring like this.
  14. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones

May 8, 2018
    Dubuque
    I use a Fender Rumble Studio 40 and Rumble 40V3 linked together for my big rig. Because most of the time I am plugging into the sounds system I do not need anything else. That being said if someone wanted to lug around a big amp for me I would be happy to let them! :bassist:

15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    You weren't aware of something simple: the light gear sounds just as good, and in some cases better, than the old heavy stuff. It is at least as loud, and usually far louder.

You play keys, you of all people should know that. I used to as well. Had an OBX-a. 80 pounds of four-voice out of tune not-so-awesomeness. It got replaced with a JX-3P that sounded ten times better and was about a tenth the weight. The Rhodes got replaced with a DX-7. My bandmates were thrilled that I could now carry my own stuff and the audience...they never notice, do they?

gazzatriumph, five7 and Loring like this.
  16. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    Agreed. While I stand by the fact that an 810 is not always necessary or preferable, I would take an 810 over 2 410s any day. Unless it's a mesa.

basscapes and Loring like this.
  17. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    Thats my opinion too

gazzatriumph and Loring like this.
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Last big outdoor gig I did, they provided a GK1001 and an 8x10. Which was great, but they had us all in the stage monitors and those alone were so loud I just killed the master on the amp. Flat out didn't need it. And I'm seeing pretty decent PAs these days even in a lot of the bar gigs we are doing. The onstage amp's days are numbered, that is certain.

bucephylus likes this.
  19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

amen to that. may your luck hold out!

20. flamethrower activated.

Totally disagree, as I already mentioned in previous posts, in some scenes giant heavy rigs are part of the show. No one wants to hear/see a doom band playing through small rigs. They are not only part of the sound but also the visual. the DI thing is complete BS in my experience. I always bring a mic with me and insist on using it. In the last 10 years I have never had a FOH engineer refuse. I have never used a DI live.

Wisebass, spatchthepunk and Korladis like this.