Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mike lead, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Every one always tells me that the bass sucks. I have a showman soul. I love to take the center stage. I write the tunes. I sing. Well, i "sing" is properly... hehehe... But i love the sound of bass. But everyone says that "if you like to be the showman you should play guitar."
    "The Guitar rules, and the bass &%$·%&%$."
    "you play bass because you can`t play guitar"
    "The bassist should be behind the drummer"
    "Bass? How does it sound?I Can`t hear it!"

So... Let`s defend ourselves!
    Why bassist is the frustrated guitarrist and it`s not the guitarrist the frustrated bassist.
    I think that guitarrist can`t groove!

What do you think?
    Why the bass is better than a guitar?:D
  2. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When you're right, you're right.

Man has himself a point.
  4. I've never heard anybody saying that "bass sucks". :confused:

Au contraire, most people I meet at gigs and talk with think that the bass is cool. More than often, I'm asked to do a bass solo (yuck!).

Someone making such negative comments about an instrument or another obviously doesn't know crap about music. :meh:
  5. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    people that believe think guitar is better than bass listen to bad music

so, bash em with the bass.
    you can break a guitar with a bass without scratching the bass.. believe me i tried o.o

some guy was saying bass sucks (cuz he doesnt have a bassist... keke) so i made fun of his dinky guitar... he attacked my bass with his guitar.. and well, the rest is saved for another story

for the time being, just kill em all
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That's funny. Don't get me wrong I dig guitars. But the current trends in music now it seems is guitarless. I mean rap, techno, r&b, and all this other electronic music crap 90% of the time does not contain a guitar. But what's funny is all songs contain a bass line and drum beat, is the guitar becomming obsolete? A bassline of some sort is essential. Wheather is be from a bass guitar, tuba, computer the bassline is the soal of the song. It's that thing your hear but don't realize that makes a song or a band good or not, just most people are too stupid or oblivious to realize it. So that person that says bass sucks is a musical idiot. That's why there is 1000 guitarists to every one bassist on the planet. If I had a dime for every guitar player that told me " I can play any note on a guitar or bass, but I still can't play a bass"....that says something.
  7. The majority of bassists aren't pricks :)
  8. I think no matter what...when you get down to need a good rhythm section(Drum + Bass) and you need a good lead...

It's all a matter of opinion.

I will admit,I don't like it when I am insulted w/ something like "bass is easy,be a real man and play guitar" I can't stand it...
  9. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    Evertime i jam with some frieds they always ask me to solo on the bass. I'm like dude just because im a prodigy when it comes to physical aspects of the bass doesn't not mean i'm good enough to pull a bass solo out of my ass, give some chords and have you a solo in two day.

Basically for the most part anyone i played cares how much bass there is more than i can handle.
  10. ~Psychedelic~

Nov 23, 2003
    Hahaha guess what!Without the bass player there is no band!Whats the party gonna dance to?

The bass player and drummer are the most important in a band.
  11. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Guitar Rules!!!!!

I'm just kidding, I don't even play Guitar :D
  12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

Everytime I see a fine lady shaking her rump to the band, I know I am doing my job. I like to pretend that my bass is a remote control for the booty. Oh yeah, the bass is in control of the bottom.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm sorry, thats the damned funniest thing ever.
  14. [​IMG]
  15. I'm tired of hearing "this is the most important instrument" or "that is the most important instrument". Take the Rolling Stones and remove the guitars; there's not much left, eh?

I think every instrument is important. Bass just happens to be one of the two key instruments in the establishment of the rhythm/groove.
  16. Next time a guitar player tells you bass sucks, play some crazy-ass bassline then tell him or her to repeat it...on the bass. We'll see who has the last laugh...

-BTBP aka Sean
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You should copyright that! That's awesome....
  18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Thanks! It has been added to my signature
  19. A lot of musicians around here aren't good enough to play bass, so they play guitar ;) I have never met anyone who said bass is easy and they haven't tried playing bass before (even if they have they still don't say its easy). Both my guitarists respect that I play bass and am glad that I do because there aren't enough bassists in the world and too many egotistic guitarists.

Don't worry about what people say about bass, just play it!
  20. True, look at The White Stripes ;)