1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big E Speakers Part 4 - Quadraphenia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kesslari, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Thnx for the advice, Vince and Stephen! Just the one MAS112, it is. :bassist:

2. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    ...and the single MAS112 handled the gig easily. I've gotten a decent sound in that room before, but last night was even better in terms of getting the nuances of articulation and phrasing out into the room. Lotsa whomp, lotsa clarity. Lovin' it!

3. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Sounds like that MAS112 projects so well that a large room doesn't swallow it up - impressive.

4. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah, it's really amazing. All the nuances of attack and touch (fingerstyle and slap) that I work on in my practice room, but usually get blurred out in a bar band mix...they're _right there_.

5. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Nice, figured it would carry the space, Mike's air moved specs a few pages back are something for all of us to use as a guide re covering the gig. You can use it creatively regarding old gear due to the fridge reference, and the Kapalite 15 reference. You just have to do the math. Fridges are 2 4x10's in one box I believe, so you can divide if your experience is only a 4x10 he or 4x10 hen.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I think this should be the tagline for Big E speakers. :D

7. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    68aaee44a5fce35b26c0feac35ed5a57_zpsf89e25bc.

TWO FIFTEEN! TWO FIFTEEN!!

Happy New Year, y'all.

Eric

8. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    1 15! 1 15!

9. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    LOL!

I gotta tell ya, though, 15 fans--it's really something how deep and full the MAS112 can sound. Truly surprising to me, after a couple years using super-12 cabs of various makes. (And a 15/6, for a while.)

thumbs&fingers likes this.
  10. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I don't doubt that, but it's not wide enough to support my Mesa head. Two probably would be, but why not go for the gusto? Buhahaha....

11. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Heh. I can certainly see the logic in that. :thumbsup:

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Gospel truth! Be amazed and heard.

13. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Tried out an Acme Low B1 today at GC - it's a cute little cab. How would a MAS cab compare, say the 2x6?

14. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I can't do a direct comparison that you asked for however:I had two B-2's and really liked their sound and their ability to go low. However I am in the category of player who plays clubs and outdoor gigs and infrequently has PA support of high end quality, and even when we brought our own capable PA, always felt I should be able to carry my own. So back when the band used to be too loud,(really!), I decided on a few outdoor events to go for broke and get a 1515/66. One of my B-2's I got from a guy who had to replace the woofers. This is because they really do reproduce the spectrum and with enough volume you can blow them. The 1515/66 was bullet proof at very loud outdoor volume, and I turned down the opportunity to be in big PA arrays. Now I can get the same thing done with a smaller package and the MVW effect too. Acme B-1's and B-2's are great, but if you are a rocker or are trying to fill a large outdoor space w/o PA handling your projection you can blow them. Now you will no doubt be able to blow a small BigE too, if used to cover a big gig. I would say the percieved adequate volume of the MAS cabs is also tied to the MVW thing. Two small woofers are heard in a mix, with greater ease, due the dispersion. I can't do a direct comparison that you asked for however.

15. GK Breivik

GK Breivik

Apr 23, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Having used an Acme 410 exclusively for over a decade, and owning a handful of the BigEs from Mike, I’d say the 2x6 is comparable to an Acme Low B2 volume wise.

16. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hey, by way of sharing notes about gear...

I picked up an essentially new GK MB800 from the TB classifieds, and tried it with the MAS112 on Saturday's gig. We worked the same room two Saturdays in the row, and I had used the Aggie TH500 the Saturday before. Same band, same room, same bass, same strings, same cab--so it's a straight up comparison of the two amps paired with the cab.

As much as I like the TH500 with my other rigs (a pair of 8 ohm Patterson 12/6/1s, or a 4 ohm Berg AE212), the MB800 really brought it. Felt better to me, and my bandmates complimented it. Might be the extra power it can deliver into the MAS112's 8 ohms...but I was thinking it also had something to do with the differences between the two amps on the bottom end. To my ear, the MB800 naturally goes deep while the TH500 starts rolling off a bit earlier. That seems to suit the MAS112 very well, when using a 5er; it was easy to get a full, powerful tone on the B string without it seeming out of proportion to the girth of the tone from the E through G. One thing (of many) I like about the MAS112 is that I've never noticed the woofer piston, even at high volume with plenty of low end--but that's a problem I've run into with more than one conventional cab. Kinda like (it's obvious I'm not a speaker designer, eh?) there's a point at which the low end runs away with itself. It's a non-issue on the MAS112.

At the top end, I reined the MB800 in a good bit _and_ rolled off the VTC (passive tone) on my Sadowsky, too. Yup, that's a bright, high-mid present amp! Easy to tame, though. And the fixed EQ points play nice with the cab; didn't find myself missing the semi-para mid, on the TH500. Pulled back the treble, high-mid, and bass; pushed a little on the low-mid. Left it there all night, and just made small changes on the bass and the usual big changes in touch on the bass.

Regarding optimal amp power with the MAS112, I'd agree that 500W into 8 ohms, as the MB800 delivers, is just right. I had to push the Aggie pretty hard some times (IIRC, 350 into 8 ohms), and that brought more grit and rounded off the note attack more than I wanted. I'll bet some folks would like that--but I'm a clean freak with regard to my tone goal.

Anyway, I've always found other users' comments to be helpful, so I hope these might be helpful, in turn.

17. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks for the input. What impressed me was the cab's full sound at low volume. In my apartment I always use headphones to practice so I dont "need" it but the quality of sound given the size is prompting me to dump my 210. I'd use it just 'cuz I could. I wouldn't think to use it in any of our settings, not even for practices.

I was driving it with an older Hartke HA4000, which has a sub-bass boost on it, like a Peavey Kosmos. I could really hear that add to the sound, and if it's still there this weekend I'll probably pick it up.

18. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Just want to say I really like the Kustom kxb 500 that has it's own viral thread going for my single 46 MAS.(http://www.talkbass.com/threads/nad...d-kustom-kxb500.1094234/page-35#post-16797933) I got it months ago when a retailer was selling at great prices and TBers were saying the Bang and Olaufson components made it well worth more. I have no idea. I know it is a great sounding match for my 46 and will be the small club, or indoor party go to for the MAS46. Did not bother to look up spelling.

coyoteboy likes this.
  19. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Question for Mike Arnopol about the current product line.

After earlier photos most won't think of me as the poster child for medium power tube amps.

Interested in MVW technology for a 45 watt head.
    Four string friendly, think blues, three piece British blues rock.

Torn between that classic 4x12 tone from across the pond and classic Sunn with JBL D-140's.

Suggestions please.

20. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    So, it looks like I just signed myself up to be a beta tester for the prototype of the 1x15. This is going to be nice and scary. Well, mostly scary for my bandmates :D

tombowlus likes this.