1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Billy Sheehan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Venturella, Feb 6, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    One of the good things about theory is that you can find out stuff quicky that you otherwise would take years to discover hit and miss. Also, when you discover something you understand why it works.

Gluvhand likes this.
  2. I'm the "hit and miss" type when it comes to this. Any theory background would help immensely. I don't know about years but learning how things tie together takes me a bit of work.

3. Same here except it was "Elephant Gun" especially the bit starting at 1:34. Just blew my mind.

Gluvhand and rtav like this.
  4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    That song is around 232 BPM and he is playing triplets so 696 hits per min. using 3 fingers. About the fastest i have heard.

jugglingfreak likes this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    His speed has always been remarkable. When I first heard him back in the early 80's with Talas I thought he was a pick player.
    His scalloped fingerboard combined with his use of hammer on and pull offs also contributes to his speed.
    Love his work with Niacin and his solo work is fantastic.

Rickter likes this.
  6. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    As an aside, Roth totally outkicked the coverage in getting Vai and Sheehan to work with him.

jugglingfreak and tfer like this.
  7. GED2112

GED2112

Mar 6, 2018
    Best band ever

Rickter and tfer like this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    A scalloped board doesn’t contribute much to speed. But it makes bending relatively effortless.

Rickter likes this.
  9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I like his work in Niacin a lot
    The way he anticipates and supports Novellos lines is worth studying. The flashy stuff with Vai gets the fast forward.