1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bugera Veyron Now Available

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Mar 13, 2015.

1. joellay

joellay Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Thinking of picking up one of these. I see most the comments through the history of this thread are on the Mosfet. Is the 3-tupe pre-amp version worth the cost? I've used an ART tube pre amp and compressor and quite honestly feel I get more of my sound out of this than I do my head.

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I've used both. I prefer the ss version over the tube fronted version.
    the heater voltage is high on them and they often eat tubes.
    plus, my opinionbisb5he tube front end sounds flabby (for my taste), the ss version has a nice punch and heft.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  3. I've never tried the tube version, so I can't comment on it. I've toyed with the idea of picking one up as a backup to the MOSFET version, which I LOVE!!! But if anything, I'll just pick up another MOSFET because of what you just mentioned. It's more convenient and flexible for me to get a tube sound somewhere else in the signal chain besides the amplifier. It's tough to remove tube sound from The amp is so transparent to my ears, that whatever I put into it is what I get out of it. It can sound polite, or like a sledgehammer. Very easy to get great tones without a bunch of knob turning and button pushing. If I need a tube sound, I'll use one of the amp sims on my Zoom B3n or bust out my Behringer bass preamp/DI which is a serviceable Sansamp clone. Is it the real thing? Of course not. But I'm about 80% fooled by decent tube emulation. When in the mix, it's good enough for me.

I'm a recovering elitist/gear snob and I'm a lot less likely to listen with my eyes than I once was.

4. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The Veyron gets beat up one night a week by a bunch of ham-fisted jammers. So far, all good.

NigelD likes this.
  5. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. Selling my GK 1001rb and wondering if I would be making a mistake.

I like the light weight transportability, but don’t want to step back. The Behringer thing has given me pause.
    Stick with GK or try on a Veyron?

6. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    try one out somewhere

7. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    If any of the music stores around me stocked it, I would.

8. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    I had a Behringer bass head and it was pretty awful. Basically a power amp with some really iffy "enhancers." The Bugera looks like a legit amp. I could give two shats about the wattage thing. However, I know the GK is 700 watts RMS bonafide.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I don't know what Behringer amp you had, what issues you had with it and what period of time that amp was manufactured. Even though it under the same umbrella, this is not a Behringer. And, it really is a nice amp. The last thing I would worry about is power as the Veyrons have that covered regardless of what the specification criticism is. Mine gets much louder than I'll ever need.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  10. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    I had a BX4500H
    No issues. It just didn’t sound good. The only decent thing was the built in octaver, but it shows a distorted priority if you can’t get the basics right.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Well as I said, a BX4500H is not a Veyron....

GlassToMouth likes this.
  12. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    Yes, I’m aware. Still, the connection.
    Anyway, ordered MOSFET today and sold my HK. We’ll see.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    You're probably making too much of the perceived connection. I don't know your situation but I was able to get my Veyron before making a decision to sell anything. It allowed me to compare the amps that I had to the new addition.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  14. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    :hyper:I just placed the order for MOSFET after I read practically all the review here! I am super excited! Thank you!

15. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Just received! It sounds great!! IMG_0266.JPG

ebozzz and GlassToMouth like this.
  16. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    My fellow Veyrons(lol), do you know the compression ratio of this head? I check their manual but....could not find it!?

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Great question and unfortunately, I can't answer it! Piqued my curiosity though so I sent a message to the folks at Bugera. If my previous experiences with them are any indication, they should get back to me promptly. One business day is normally what they quote but I've gotten responses in a matter hours at times....

Sanchan likes this.
  18. Congratulations on the Veyron! I hope you like yours as much as I do. I have never really had a built in compressor I've ever enjoyed, but the one on the Veyron isn't too bad. It seems serviceable if my MXR Comp ever gets fried or forgotten. I'm curious about it's specs as well.

Sanchan likes this.
  19. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Cool! Thank you! I have a Diamond BCP-1 Compressor but that has only 1:2.6 ratio compression(which is not much...). I am hoping that Veyron's compressor has a higher ratio!?

20. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Thank you so much! I appreciate it! Members of this thread really influenced my decision(should I say...fueled my GAS...lol) to purchase this! I have been playing non-stop since it arrived, haha! I am really loving it so far. Btw, so you use your MXR comp and the built-in comp together?