1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bugera Veyron Now Available

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Final thought of the day...?

Engaging the "Ultra Low" makes my Bergantino CN210 sould like my Bergantino HT322... Me likey!

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    If you have an active bass try running straight into the effects loop. Sounds even better to me now.

3. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Doesn't that just bypass the pre-amp and EQ?
    Essentially you're turning this into a basic line amplifier!

Pickebass likes this.
  4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Exactly ;-)

There's not enough gain in other amps most of the time.

The power section is the most important part of an amp to me. I can make most amps sound very similar but you can't change the way the power section behaves.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm still very happy with my Veyron M. I see it providing me years of service. My old BVP5500 was owned by a young guy before me, who beat it. I sold it to a young guy who uses it in a loud rock band and it still sounds terrific.

I use a laptop bag. Fits perfectly, and stores extras with a tuner and cables.

cbdriver and Acoustic356 like this.
  6. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    Try running your bass into a compressor and preamp, then into the effects return! I'm running my active bass into an Aguilar TLC compressor and Tone Hammer DI into the effects return of the Veyron M and it sounds awesome! Also sounds awesome with the bass plugged directly into the front of the amp! I now basically have 2 amps for the price of 1! Awesome amp, awesome price and awesome options! :bassist:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

And that's likely why you have hiss. That's not exactly a normal way to run an amp.

bottomzone likes this.
  8. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    The hiss is more present when the horn was on. Attenuating the horn down reduced the hiss.

For the record, the Bergantino HT322 is rated at 750 watts RMS at 8 ohms. They Veyron claims 1000 watts peak at 8 ohms. With a little finger style, I was no where near damaging anything except rattling some art work off the walls.

The hiss could be heard at a lower volume, but that was primarily because I attenuated the horn higher than usual for the amp that had previously sitting on the cabinet because the highs presented weren't as crisp as on the Veyron.

I have since matched the Veyron with a Bergantino CN210 - where it seems to be better matched for the modern sound that I prefer.

While I agree this is not a "normal" way to run an amp... the hiss occurred at a normal volume, and there's nothing wrong with pulling your "outdoor rig" from the garage and putting it through it's paces.

My normal gigging amp is a Schroeder 1210 - rated 750 watts RMS at 4 ohms. It's half as heavy as the HT322.

There's nothing wrong with doing a little comparative "loudness" test if you:
    1. Have the gear to do it
    2. Have the hearing protection
    3. Have the space where neighbors won't get mad
    Comparing it to the Warwick LWA 1000 at the same volumes, with both amps set flat, the Veyron has more hiss.

According to my SPL meter at 4 feet, the Veyron is louder.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Again, maybe there's another culprit for the hiss you're getting. Singling out the amp is the easy thing to do. I'll leave that to you to figure out or not. I don't get hiss, even at gig volumes. But I turn my gain up to get a hot enough signal going to the amp and the house and then I bring the master up for stage volume. To turn both up and then have to keep my bass' volume down never occurred to me. Not on a gig. If I were just testing to see if I could make noise that would be different. I can make noise with anything. To consider that as anything normal clouds your findings IMO.

bottomzone likes this.
  10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I get hiss. My cabs don't have any padding on the tweeter though. It makes sense for it to have a little more hiss given the kind of non-defeatable compression it has. It's not a problem though in actual gig settings.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Non-defeatable compression?

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    It has parallel compression built in an addition to the limiting compression on the front end. It brings up lower levels signals to add detail but I believe it raises the noise floor as well.

13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    now I want one

14. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    It is a badass little head

SlimS, seamonkey and ebozzz like this.
  15. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I had a gig last night and my rig was the house rig and used by 5 different bass players. Got a chance to hear this from out front and on the stage and it handled everything with ease. From 4 to 6 strings I am thoroughly impressed.

upload_2015-10-25_10-13-12.

cbdriver, pudgychef, woody357 and 3 others like this.
  16. ogiebb

ogiebb Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Rosenberg TX
    mine does not have the hiss... actually sounds good but I love my GK More

17. karlfer

karlfer

Mar 30, 2015
    Hello chaps, long time lurker, rare contributor, although I do contibute on the UK-centric Basschat.

So, I've wanted a SS to replace my Streamliner. PUMA no longer available so thought I'd try one of these. Received late yesterday.
    Weekend warrior, around 35/40 pub gigs per annum. Classic rock.
    State registered gear whore, but at 58 I've had the epiphany that all I need are my 2 Mex FSR P/J's and a US Precision. Since then, I've sold my US Fenders, Ricks, 2 X Sei's, Sadowsky Metro, Alembic Epic and other stuff.

Right, this 'ere Veyron then.
    With my FSR P/J's, gain clip is coming on around 1 o'clock. Mainly hard hits on E string
    When the US Precision, I'm struggling a bit. The red clip light around the Mute is coming on at around 9 o'clock and seems to be flashing on across all 4 strings.
    Pushing in the -15Db button, well, I'm having to go further than I like with the master.

Other settings
    Compression off
    Ultra bass off
    Bass 11 o'clock
    mids 1 o'clock @ 800 hz
    treble 1 o'clock
    Ultra treble off

Through a 4 ohm Scroeder BMF 212, tweeter off.
    Mainly looking at JPJ, Zep 11 smooth bassy sound.
    I'd like to try other settings as well, so I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks folks,
    cheers,
    Karl.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    The -15db button being too much of a cut is a common complaint with these amps.

Sanchan likes this.
  19. I just pulled the trigger on one of these through AMS. I've been lurking on this board for quite a while in my search for an affordable, powerful class D head. Heads I own are a Peavey T-MAX, Hartke 3500 MOSFET, and SWR 550X. Tone wise, I look for a transparent, uncolored amp to produce tight, punchy, modern, hi-fi tones from my active EMG equipped basses. I don't use distortion or any other effects. Just a MXR bass compressor as a peak limiter. The only amp that's still fully functional without ever needing maintenance is the Peavey. It's a bit too wooly and "round" for my tastes, but still impressive since I've had it since 1996. I run a BBE 383 preamp to clean some of the mud out of the Peavey. The SWR had my favorite tone out of my collection thus far.

I wasn't able to try before buying, but due to the extensive information available here on these forums, I'm confident in my purchase. it will be running through a Peavey 410TX most of the time. For a second cab I will likely use a Peavey Headliner 210 or a BX115 that's been replaced with an 8 ohm Celestion. I hope to upgrade the cabs soon. I'm leaning towards a vertical 4x10 stack. Likely Avatar unless I'm talked into something else. Budget friendly 2x10 cabs are next on the GAS list.

Thanks to everyone on these boards. Such a wonderful wealth of knowledge on here. I hope to have the amp on Wednesday. I have a fill in gig on 12/1 for a white boy type funk, soul, blues 3 piece. I can't wait to put this beast through its paces! :bassist:

20. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah, why???
    I've had mine for less than a week and am extremely impressed! I was initially skeptical, but thanks to the numerous rave reviews on TB and other forums, I took the plunge-and am glad that I did! With mine connected to a Genz Benz NX2-212T, my rig is the best that I have ever had to date! My previous amp, a GK 1001RBII, was a very nice amp-until it fried between church services! Fortunately, I purchased the 2 yr Pro Coverage at the time I go the amp (used) from Guitar Center. The amp could not be repaired and I received refund via a GC e gift card. I then used the gift card to get a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, but I wasn't feeling that amp! It sounded very anemic compaired to the GK 1001RBII. I then retuned the Shuttle 6.0 for a refund and got the Bugera. Brad was very correct is his assessment of the heft that the BV1001M, even at low volume and playing with a soft touch! I've never experienced this before. With the gain set between 10-12:00 (depending on which bass I play) and the master volume set at 8-9:00, the sound is huge, clean and punchy! There is no way I will ever need to turn anything all the way up, regardless of what speaker cab is connected! So this is what it feels like to have power to spare! The two best values for my money so far are my Sire Marcus Miller V7 V and my Bugera Veyron BV1001M! Both are amazing products that I would have gladly paid twice the price!