1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can Someone Name An Inexpensive, Tiny Combo (That Doesn't Completely Suck)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I'd like to keep a tiny combo at the house I nanny at. It doesn't have to be loud- 30watts is probably fine, but is there anything relatively cheap that isn't too tinny-sounding? I'm not expecting great sound or anything, just something better than what my old Gorilla amp sounded like. Thanks!

2. i'm may only be saying this because of the head i just bought, but you may want to looking into one of the little orange crush combos... i thought it wasnt to bad for the little thing it is.

but its by no means there high end stuff. but i'm sure you know that.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  4. Peavey Microbass orrrrrr SWR Workingmans 10.

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    ahhh...the new swr workingPRO combos,or even the baby blue! If you want to save some dough and don't mind risking a trip to the shop, get a behringer 1200 tilt back!

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Hartke A-35... great sounding little amp.

7. +1 on the Peavey Microbass.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Another vote for the Microbass, though it's a little lower powered than you suggested.

You might also want to look into a used Peavey Minx. It would cost about what a new Microbass would cost and but give you a little more power and a larger driver. I haven't played the current model but I played the previous one and itwas really nice for the price.

I also liked the previous model Bassman 25. I haven't heard the new Bassman amps so I can't comment on them.

9. I'm quite happy with my Warwick Blue Cab 20 - 20 watts, 1x10 speaker.

10. +1 for the Peavey Minx.

11. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Peavey Microbass or Minx are great. A used Polytone would be nice. The Crate 30 watt actually sounds very nice ... I jammed with a 5-string, and it didn't even crack on loud low b's. Finally, Eden is coming out with a Nemesis SIlver series 1x8 practice amp at a low price ... if that comes out anytime soon, I'd bet it will be super.

Liam

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Sure, I can name one.

I will hug him, and squeeze him, and name him George.

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    [​IMG]

Orange Crush 20b, sounds good, you can get some different tones out of it easily, has a headphone jack, and it can be a loud little sucker when you turn it up. Sounds good at low volumes too, you can see its in my apartment at school, and I can make it so it doesn't bother the neighbors and I can still hear it. However when I brought it home for spring break and turned it up, my friend came over and said he could hear me all the way from the driveway, which is a good distance from the house.

I got it for under $90 on ebay.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, the bassman 25 can acutally handle a B.

15. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    What about a preamp or a processor that has a headphone jack. That's something you could actually use in more situations than just nannying. Just my $0.02

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    omg,

my bass teacher has THE SINGLE most killer little combo i've ever heard in my life, and yet, for the life of me, i cant remember its stupid name!

i'll ask at tomorrow's lesson.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was after something for under my desk in the office... tried everything locally up to the $250 mark. I ended up with a Peavey Microbass for about $110 (sold it here for $60 a while back).

I did use it for a couple jams with an acoustic guitarist with great results and also a radio broadcast with the same Singer / Acoustic guy (90.3 WMSC Montclair State Underground Radio).

That said, I sold it because I much prefer playing through my computer speakers while practicing (or my full rig).

18. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    I just got my Peavey MAX 158 a week ago and it seems like a fine little combo.

19. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    +1