Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheaters

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 20, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    As a HUGE sports fan, it saddens me to see so much cheating going on. I'll list just a few that come to mind right away. Jimmie Johnson cheated at Daytona over the last week, the Austrian biathlon team at the Olympics over the weekend, Barry Bonds and steroids in baseball, Ricky Williams failed another NFL drug test, that's good for now.

So, what do you think is pushing these people to cheat? The money for winning? The fear of losing? The lack of serious consequences when caught?

-Mike

2. I'll not speculate on the others...but Ricky's test was most likely failed for marijuana. I don't see that enhancing his performance on the field, maybe his experience, but not his performance.

Mike

3. All of that, plus the atmosphere of "winning in everything," along with the fact that many pro athletes (especially basketball players) are all spoiled rich kid who don't have adequate education or self control.

Rock on
    Eric

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why do you think he cheated?

-Mike

5. I don't really think of his drug use as cheating. Marijuana will do absolutely nothing to enhance his performance. It will most likely detract from it. If you are including breaking the league's drug policy as cheating, however, I'd say he did it because he simply doesn't care about the consequences. He's most likely out of the game for a year and out of a significant amount of money, as well. For most, these penalties (in this specific case) would be more than enough to deter someone, but Williams has shown several times that he simply doesn't care. The only reason he came back to football was to avoid the 8 million dollar settlement against him if he broke contract. I suspect he did a little financial figuring over the course of the season and arrived at a result that he found favorable and threw the drug policy out the window.

Mike

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, that was what I was getting at. I know all of the examples I quoted besides Ricky had performance enhacing cheating, but I was really getting at cheating in general.

-Mike

7. im not into sports, i can be if people arent so competetive, but people care so much about them it takes all the fun away, and i'm not a competetive person and frankly i cant stand people who are. but seeing people cheat is pretty sad. failing a drug test for THC wouldnt make a difference at all, the only thing it could possibly do is make him run slower and then eventually leave and head toward the pantry.

8. I think for some it's age. They want so badly to compete at the level that they used to that they are willing to risk the consequences for one more play or game or year, or whatever.

Mike

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OT a little...Ricky Williams has not violated the leagues drug policy by testing positive for drugs. It is still up in the air how this story even came about. Go here and read some more: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9251778

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's kind of bogus how missing a test is classfied as failing a test by the NFL.

-Mike

11. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    i thought the thread might have been about the tv show.

terrible concept for a show. :(

12. He failed three tests prior to this one. That's why his missing it (if that's what happened) would be viewed as a fail. I don't believe this standard is norm.

Mike

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Rio Ferdinand of Manchester United and the England national Team was suspended for 9 months for showing up less than 24 hours late for his surprise, on - demand, drug test. Which was clean.

Man U has not been the same since, IMHO. Also, England had to do with out him in their failed Euro 2004 campaign.

That's a tough stance...

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ricky Williams is exhibit A-1 for all you potheads that say it isn't addictive. Flame away.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good point sir.

-Mike

16. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    It probably is addictive. So what? Cigarettes are addictive. Alcohol is addictive. Caffiene can be addictive. Chocolate can be addictive.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    ahahaahahhaha.....ahem

ANYTHING can be psychologically addictive. Skittles, Snapple, whatever. Silly.

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'll give you that Cheesie. I know you're on the job, and this is a touchy subject considering your career and all. I've been smoking everyday since I was 12, that's 34 years. While it's not right for everyone, it works for me. I'm a law abiding citizen(other than that), taxpayer, community volunteer etc. I have a good job and function at a pretty high level for a "drug addict". I admit, I'm addicted, but it's in the privacy of my own home and I try to keep it on the down low. I tried paxil, zoloft, & wellbutrin to deal with my depression, MJ just works better for me. Personally I think persecuting Ricky Williams is hippocritical, considering all the "legal" drugs that players use to kill pain etc., so they can play. It's all ok, as long as the Doc writes a scrip ? That can get to be abusive too. My dad got strung out for years on percocet/dan after a bad back surgery, because the doc kept treating the symptoms instead of the problem. When it came time to stop, he couldn't & he's never been the same since. One of the most brilliant automotive minds I ever met, before, now.....useless. My point is the "source" of the drug bares little consequence as to whether someone becomes addicted to said drug. Or, how bad it will eventually affect them.

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh, and you only hear about some little parts of it.
    Drug tests are only for older, less expensive drugs.
    The newly researched ones, however...
    Ever wondered how could anyone win 6 gold medals and 3 bronzes nowadays, when the competition is so intense? :ninja:

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hey, you're supporting member now, join the club! More power to Yurop !