1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Brimstone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Jan 14, 2014.

1. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Mint XD-2 for sale here - $215 shipped! great pedal but the XD-2 is too big and badass for my sissy board! its sitting on the shelf. :rollno:

2. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Update on this, I've spent some time with the Basilisk and it's exactly as described, an XD-2 with a more distorted second channel. It sounds GREAT. I can set channel one to sound the same as the XD-2 (though the eq points are slightly different), but get a more present and gravelly distortion from the boost side. Very good pedal if you ever wished the XD's were a bit dirtier and nastier.

GentProvocateur and speyer like this.
  3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I am in. 0L2O6NdVKoE.jpg

4. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    1)David Beers
    2)Brimstone Lou
    3)zwkoch
    4)JohnK
    5)Rickenmonster
    6)Gregmon79
    7)Andrew
    8)Zoomie
    9)Bellbass
    10)DirtyDuke
    11)Jaysbass 2002
    12)stephenleejp
    13)Jarobi
    14)Bassman 5001
    15)Slugthrower
    16)B'Boom
    17)Chriso 21
    18)Honotron
    19)BrianVengeance
    20)HandofSeven
    21)karter2000
    22) seanlava
    23)DEDX
    24) EduardoK
    25)Driven Crane

:thumbsup:

Driven Crane likes this.
  5. So... On/Off = XD2, Boost = Dirts McNasty? First channel has that much drive?

6. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    So what about Basilisk? Or is it only guitar version of XD-1(xd-2)?

7. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    and why still there's no demo in Youtube?

8. @andrew any more news on living with the Basilisk? Any audio clips you can share?

9. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    It is still (XD-1) my favorite overdrive. I can describe it as the most clean dirt, hi-fi dirt etc. It is not a clean boost, at the other hand.

10. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    It's the boost channel that has increased drive.

It's not the guitar version, just a higher gain version of the XD-2.

I know, right? I may have to do a demo myself because I don't think Brimstone are going to and I'm not sure how many Basilisk pedals are in the wild.

Nothing new to add about the Basilisk. XD-2 is still my go-to pedal but I have a project coming up I specifically want to use the Basilisk for. I'll try to do some demo clips of the Basilisk.
    It'll take a while but hopefully I can make something to show the difference between the Basilisk and XD-1 + 2.

Driven Crane likes this.
  11. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I still love this pedal (XD-1) but i can't hear the difference of what crossover knob changes in my tone, really. May be it is broken?

12. Try turning one of the sides all the way down / off and then twist the mix knob. If the effect isn’t pronounced, you may have an issue.

Driven Crane likes this.
  13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Agreed. It should be a pretty big difference.

14. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sign me up - XD-2 and an OB-1.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Can't believe I missed this club. Here's a pic from last Friday:

img_20170908_235134-jpg.jpg

I use the XD-2 for dUg-like sounds. On that note: yes, I was seriously tempted by the Tech21 dUg amp**, but my heaviest band is doing more radio rock -- fewer metal tunes -- which means too few opportunities to use dUgtone to justify the dUg amp. That's also the reason why I haven't been gigging the XD-2 very often, but it sounds so great I recently decided to bring it out even if only for a half-dozen tunes.

Despite the dearth of metal tunes I try to shoehorn the XD-2 in wherever possible. Worked for me on this one, and fortunately the BL didn't complain. :D Cheap Trick tunes are also fair game IMO.

I've been thinking about the Basilisk, but I can easily get extra grit/gravel by stacking the XD-2 with another OD pedal, so I haven't looked up any YT demos.

** I am also tempted by the upcoming Tech21 dUg pedal, but that won't be out until next year...

16. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    1)David Beers
    2)Brimstone Lou
    3)zwkoch
    4)JohnK
    5)Rickenmonster
    6)Gregmon79
    7)Andrew
    8)Zoomie
    9)Bellbass
    10)DirtyDuke
    11)Jaysbass 2002
    12)stephenleejp
    13)Jarobi
    14)Bassman 5001
    15)Slugthrower
    16)B'Boom
    17)Chriso 21
    18)Honotron
    19)BrianVengeance
    20)HandofSeven
    21)karter2000
    22) seanlava
    23)DEDX
    24) EduardoK
    25)Driven Crane
    26)bass.slinger
    27)Fuzzbass

17. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    It sound super great when it goes to Whammy!

Fuzzbass and andrew like this.
  18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Bout to pull the trigger on a Xd-2 and already own a XD-1. Other then size and internal boost trim, anything else different? I know it doesn’t have the hi/lo switch now. How does that effect the pedal? I always run mine on high.

andrew and Driven Crane like this.
  19. Not sure about the 1, but generally the boost side stays pretty clean on the 2. Honestly haven’t played much with the internal trim since it sounded “right” out of the box. Gain side has the tubey / asymmetrical clipping sound you’re probably familiar with, but cleanly in the light to middle distortion range.

andrew likes this.
  20. RickenTalker

RickenTalker

Nov 4, 2010
    Just found this thread.

I've had my XD2 and Basilisk for about a year and gotta say these pedals are really the bee's knees for bass.

Even in the studio I find myself always garbing my XD2 for when the time comes to reamp bass.

The learning curve on these pedals is pretty steep, but once you figure it out these pedals grant you a level of control you just can't get from any other dirt box.

The XD2 plays well with other pedals too. I like to run it into into my Big Game Solace state or a muff style fuzz like a swollen pickle or fuzzwar to gain more control over those fX.

The Basilisk is a beast of its own that I have been using mostly for guitar solos in the studio. You can EQ it just right to where the guitar solos can stand out without covering up the other guitars or needing to do some surgical EQing to fit.

Both pedals rule and I'd really like to pickup up that awesome blender pedal someday. For anyone that's interested I'd say I like the XD2 more for bass then the Basilisk though you could certainly make the Basilisk work.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021